Re: DBX files

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Eagle Eye, Jul 23, 2003.

  1. Eagle Eye

    Eagle Eye Guest

    "Nick Withers" <> wrote in message
    > How do you restore dbx files to Outlook Express?
    > I received 8 Emails, with about 3 attachments to each Email. These I moved
    > to a special folder. And then saved it on my backup drive. I have just

    had
    > to replace my hard drive as my original drive became faulty.
    > Now, how do I replace that folder back in Outlook Express?
    > Thanks,
    > Nick W.

    I regularly backup my OE files, so hopefully I can be of some help. I use
    Win98, so if you use another OS, please realise some things may be
    different.

    The dbx file you have saved, lets say it's called "saved.dbx" and you have
    it on "C:". Go into Outlook Express and create a new folder called "saved".
    If you have since created a new folder with that name, temporarily move
    messages to another folder so it's empty. Click on the "saved" folder. Then
    close OE, and navigate to the Outlook Express folder with Windows Explorer
    (or search for "saved.dbx"). It will probably be something like:
    "C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Identities\{"a long string of letters and
    numbers here"}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\saved.dbx". Now close Windows
    Explorer. Then go to the "saved.dbx" file on "C:", right-click and make sure
    it doesn't have "read only" checked. Only "Archive" should be. Then
    right-click again, select "copy", then go back to: "C:\WINDOWS\Application
    Data\Identities\{"a long string of letters and numbers
    here"}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\. Now right-click and "paste". A message
    will come up asking if you want to replace the existing version of
    "saved.dbx", which you'll say "YES", as the existing one in that location is
    the empty one. Then go back into OE and hopefully you'll see the messages in
    the "saved" folder.

    I have also come across "DB Xtract" which works quite good - you might even
    try this before the above if you want. I'll let you do the rest, as it's
    easy to use. The place to download it (it's freeware) is:

    http://www.oehelp.com/DBXtract/Default.aspx

    Good Luck. Let the group know if you solve the problem. I hope my advice
    works in your case.

    Eagle Eye

    Eagle Eye, Jul 23, 2003

  2. Eagle Eye

    Nick Withers Guest

    SUCCESS !!!
    Thanks very much to all who posted here.
    I did what Eagle Eye so clearly explained and it worked.....a big weight off
    my mind.
    Also I downloaded DBXtract which may come in useful in the future. I will
    try it out.
    What a great bunch you all are!
    Thanks again,
    Nick