Re: DBX files

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Nick Withers, Jul 22, 2003.

  1. Nick Withers

    Nick Withers Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in message

    > "Nick Withers" <> wrote in message
    > > How do you restore dbx files to Outlook Express?
    > > I received 8 Emails, with about 3 attachments to each Email. These I

    moved
    > > to a special folder. And then saved it on my backup drive. I have just

    > had
    > > to replace my hard drive as my original drive became faulty.
    > > Now, how do I replace that folder back in Outlook Express?
    > > Thanks,
    > > Nick W.
    > >

    > go outlook express
    >
    > file
    > import messages.
    > select the folder you dbx files are in and follow your nose.
    >

    > --
    > "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."

    Doesn't work!
    All I get is a dialog box saying "No messages can be found in this
    folder....etc, etc.
    BTW: The file is not in Outlook Express, it is in a folder on my C: drive as
    filename.dbx
    I am worried about this as it is a year of my son's college work,
    assignments, etc.
    Thanks for any further help.
    Nick Withers, Jul 22, 2003

  2. Nick Withers

    Rider Guest

    > "cowboyz" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > > "Nick Withers" <> wrote in message
    > > > How do you restore dbx files to Outlook Express?
    > > > I received 8 Emails, with about 3 attachments to each Email. These I

    > moved
    > > > to a special folder. And then saved it on my backup drive. I have

    just
    > > had
    > > > to replace my hard drive as my original drive became faulty.
    > > > Now, how do I replace that folder back in Outlook Express?
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > Nick W.
    > > >

    > > go outlook express
    > >
    > > file
    > > import messages.
    > > select the folder you dbx files are in and follow your nose.
    > >

    > > --
    > > "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
    > >

    > Doesn't work!
    > All I get is a dialog box saying "No messages can be found in this
    > folder....etc, etc.
    > BTW: The file is not in Outlook Express, it is in a folder on my C: drive

    as
    > filename.dbx
    > I am worried about this as it is a year of my son's college work,
    > assignments, etc.
    > Thanks for any further help.

    I've seen that happen when trying to import with an older version of OE
    compared the stored files. Try updating OE to a later version, maybe Version
    6 and redo the import process, when it asks for what version of OE to import
    ... click on OE5 and then browse to where you have the files kept. HTH

    Rider
    Rider, Jul 23, 2003

  3. Nick Withers

    Kookaburra Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 19:19:32 +1200, "Nick Withers"
    <> wrote:

    >Doesn't work!
    >All I get is a dialog box saying "No messages can be found in this
    >folder....etc, etc.
    >BTW: The file is not in Outlook Express, it is in a folder on my C: drive as
    >filename.dbx
    >I am worried about this as it is a year of my son's college work,
    >assignments, etc.
    >Thanks for any further help.

    Why not leave them where they are and use DBxtract to restore them as
    emails.

    http://www.oehelp.com/DBXtract/Default.aspx

    Cheers, Kooky
    Kookaburra, Jul 23, 2003
  4. Nick Withers

    Matt B Guest

    In news:,
    Nick Withers <> wrote:
    > "cowboyz" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> "Nick Withers" <> wrote in message
    >>> How do you restore dbx files to Outlook Express?
    >>> I received 8 Emails, with about 3 attachments to each Email. These
    >>> I moved to a special folder. And then saved it on my backup drive.
    >>> I have just had to replace my hard drive as my original drive
    >>> became faulty.
    >>> Now, how do I replace that folder back in Outlook Express?
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Nick W.
    >>>

    >> go outlook express
    >>
    >> file
    >> import messages.
    >> select the folder you dbx files are in and follow your nose.
    >>

    >> --
    >> "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
    >>

    > Doesn't work!
    > All I get is a dialog box saying "No messages can be found in this
    > folder....etc, etc.
    > BTW: The file is not in Outlook Express, it is in a folder on my C:
    > drive as filename.dbx
    > I am worried about this as it is a year of my son's college work,
    > assignments, etc.
    > Thanks for any further help.

    Try changing the store folder to where you have your old DBX files (back
    them up first).
    TOOLS=>OPTIONS=>MAINTENANCE=>STORE FOLDER

    --
    Regards,

    Matt B
    There are 10 types of people.