Re: Dark Pictures-Canon 20D

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Marge, May 17, 2005.

  1. Marge

    Marge Guest

    Hi
    I want to thank everyone who replied to this problem of mine. The answers
    were very useful. I wanted to reply to each individual who answered but at
    the time I had experienced some personal problems.
    I think however I asked the wrong question.about my camera. I wanted to find
    out if the dark pictures using fully automatic shooting (Basic Zone moods)
    with the flash were due to a faulty camera of if this is standard for this
    camera.. According to the manual, I should be getting good pictures. I am
    trying to find out if I should return the camera.

    "Marge" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Hi:
    >
    > I have a Canon 20D with the 18-55mm lens that was supplied with the

    camera.

    > When taking pictures at family birthday parties and gatherings in a living
    > room and dining room my pictures come out very dark. The lighting is dim

    but
    > adequate with overhead lighting and table lamps. All the shooting is done

    in
    > the Basic Zone Modes where everything is set automatically. To quote from
    > the manual "You just press the shutter button, and the camera does the

    rest"
    > .
    >
    > You certainly cannot print directly from the memory card however, which is
    > want I want to do. Every picture has to be processed to increase the
    > brightness. I've taken pictures in the same surroundings before with a
    > $50.00 digital camera and the pictures come out bright enough to print
    > without any processing.
    >
    > This is not a simple camera but at these affairs I'm using it as a point

    and

    Marge, May 17, 2005

  2. Marge

    Mark B. Guest

    "Marge" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I want to thank everyone who replied to this problem of mine. The answers
    > were very useful. I wanted to reply to each individual who answered but at
    > the time I had experienced some personal problems.
    > I think however I asked the wrong question.about my camera. I wanted to
    > find
    > out if the dark pictures using fully automatic shooting (Basic Zone moods)
    > with the flash were due to a faulty camera of if this is standard for this
    > camera.. According to the manual, I should be getting good pictures. I am
    > trying to find out if I should return the camera.

    The built-in flash isn't meant to be the only light source in dim indoor
    lighting, unless you are very close to your subject and don't mind the
    background being dark. You need additional lighting or an external flash.

    Mark
    Mark B., May 17, 2005

  3. Marge

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Marge <> wrote:
    >Hi
    >I want to thank everyone who replied to this problem of mine. The answers
    >were very useful. I wanted to reply to each individual who answered but at
    >the time I had experienced some personal problems.
    >I think however I asked the wrong question.about my camera. I wanted to find
    >out if the dark pictures using fully automatic shooting (Basic Zone moods)
    >with the flash were due to a faulty camera of if this is standard for this
    >camera.. According to the manual, I should be getting good pictures. I am
    >trying to find out if I should return the camera.

    If it works outdoors then it's not the camera.

    The biggest bugaboo with indoor photos is daylight coming in through
    windows. Inevitably people face away from the windows, the camera
    sees this bright light coming from behind the person, and adjusts the
    exposure for the light outdoors and makes everything else dark.

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Jun 4, 2005