Re: damn RAM

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Baron, May 22, 2009.

  1. Baron

    Baron Guest

    Silver Surfer Seventy wrote:

    > Hello, good people. I have been watching this group from the sidelines
    > for a while, and thought that some-one could give me the benefit of
    > their expertise, as there seems to be a lot about here.
    > After being told by various programs that I needed more RAM I decided
    > to upgrade from one stick of 512 MB to two sticks of 2 GB
    > Now I dont know if I have gone over the top here but only less than 3
    > GB is showing up.
    > When I look at system properties it tells me-

    > System:
    > Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3
    > Desk top PC ,,,,,Thinkcentre
    > Manufactured and supported by: Lenovo
    > Intel(R)
    > Pentium(R) DCPU 3.00GHz 2.99 GHz,
    >
    > 2.98 GB of RAM
    >
    > It took about all the wit I possess to install it, so I can't work out
    > where the other 1.2 GB RAM has got to, so wondered if anybody
    > can explain this, how to fix it, or whether I can just ignore it.
    >
    > I don't play super fast games or anything, I just use my computer for
    > shopping for groceries on line, paying bills, using e-bay and watching
    > the odd streaming videos on you tube or the BBC, all very ordinary
    > stuff.
    >
    > Am I trying too hard, and should I settle for what I have managed to
    > do as regarding the ram. I am not smart computer wise (as is obvious)
    > and all I know is what people tell me on line, or what I google. I
    > don't know any young people who I could ask for advice.
    >
    > Thanks for any scraps of wisdom you might throw my way, but please
    > keep it simple.
    >
    > SSS

    You installed 4Gb you got 4Gb ! Wins is rubbish at seeing all the ram.
    Don't fret about it.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

    Baron, May 22, 2009

  2. Baron

    philo Guest

    Baron wrote:
    > Silver Surfer Seventy wrote:
    >
    >> Hello, good people. I have been watching this group from the sidelines
    >> for a while, and thought that some-one could give me the benefit of
    >> their expertise, as there seems to be a lot about here.
    >> After being told by various programs that I needed more RAM I decided
    >> to upgrade from one stick of 512 MB to two sticks of 2 GB
    >> Now I dont know if I have gone over the top here but only less than 3
    >> GB is showing up.
    >> When I look at system properties it tells me-
    >>
    >> ******************************************************
    >> System:
    >> Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3
    >> Desk top PC ,,,,,Thinkcentre
    >> Manufactured and supported by: Lenovo
    >> Intel(R)
    >> Pentium(R) DCPU 3.00GHz 2.99 GHz,
    >>
    >> 2.98 GB of RAM
    >>
    >> It took about all the wit I possess to install it, so I can't work out
    >> where the other 1.2 GB RAM has got to, so wondered if anybody
    >> can explain this, how to fix it, or whether I can just ignore it.
    >>
    >> I don't play super fast games or anything, I just use my computer for
    >> shopping for groceries on line, paying bills, using e-bay and watching
    >> the odd streaming videos on you tube or the BBC, all very ordinary
    >> stuff.
    >>
    >> Am I trying too hard, and should I settle for what I have managed to
    >> do as regarding the ram. I am not smart computer wise (as is obvious)
    >> and all I know is what people tell me on line, or what I google. I
    >> don't know any young people who I could ask for advice.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any scraps of wisdom you might throw my way, but please
    >> keep it simple.
    >>
    >> SSS

    > You installed 4Gb you got 4Gb ! Wins is rubbish at seeing all the ram.
    > Don't fret about it.

    Nothing to do with Windows

    It's simply a function of all 32bit operating systems.

    In general, approx 3 gigs is all the OS can use.

    (Though with PAE, the limitation can be overcome)

    If more RAM is needed, one needs to use a 64 bit operating system

    philo, May 22, 2009

  3. Baron

    Baron Guest

    philo wrote:

    > Baron wrote:
    >> Silver Surfer Seventy wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello, good people. I have been watching this group from the
    >>> sidelines for a while, and thought that some-one could give me the
    >>> benefit of their expertise, as there seems to be a lot about here.
    >>> After being told by various programs that I needed more RAM I
    >>> decided to upgrade from one stick of 512 MB to two sticks of 2 GB
    >>> Now I dont know if I have gone over the top here but only less than
    >>> 3 GB is showing up.
    >>> When I look at system properties it tells me-
    >>>
    >>> ******************************************************
    >>> System:
    >>> Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3
    >>> Desk top PC ,,,,,Thinkcentre
    >>> Manufactured and supported by: Lenovo
    >>> Intel(R)
    >>> Pentium(R) DCPU 3.00GHz 2.99 GHz,
    >>>
    >>> 2.98 GB of RAM
    >>> *********************************************
    >>>
    >>> It took about all the wit I possess to install it, so I can't work
    >>> out where the other 1.2 GB RAM has got to, so wondered if anybody
    >>> can explain this, how to fix it, or whether I can just ignore it.
    >>>
    >>> I don't play super fast games or anything, I just use my computer
    >>> for shopping for groceries on line, paying bills, using e-bay and
    >>> watching the odd streaming videos on you tube or the BBC, all very
    >>> ordinary stuff.
    >>>
    >>> Am I trying too hard, and should I settle for what I have managed to
    >>> do as regarding the ram. I am not smart computer wise (as is
    >>> obvious) and all I know is what people tell me on line, or what I
    >>> google. I don't know any young people who I could ask for advice.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any scraps of wisdom you might throw my way, but please
    >>> keep it simple.
    >>>
    >>> SSS

    >> You installed 4Gb you got 4Gb ! Wins is rubbish at seeing all the
    >> ram. Don't fret about it.
    >>

    > Nothing to do with Windows
    >
    > It's simply a function of all 32bit operating systems.
    >
    > In general, approx 3 gigs is all the OS can use.
    >

    > (Though with PAE, the limitation can be overcome)
    >

    > If more RAM is needed, one needs to use a 64 bit operating system

    I use a 32 bit OS ! I've no problem seeing my 4Gb !

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

    Baron, May 23, 2009
  4. Baron

    philo Guest

    Baron wrote:
    > philo wrote:
    >
    >> Baron wrote:

    >>> You installed 4Gb you got 4Gb ! Wins is rubbish at seeing all the
    >>> ram. Don't fret about it.
    >>>

    >> Nothing to do with Windows
    >>
    >> It's simply a function of all 32bit operating systems.
    >>
    >> In general, approx 3 gigs is all the OS can use.
    >>

    >> (Though with PAE, the limitation can be overcome)
    >>

    >> If more RAM is needed, one needs to use a 64 bit operating system

    > I use a 32 bit OS ! I've no problem seeing my 4Gb !

    The OS will only be able to use about 3.2gigs of it unless PAE

    philo, May 23, 2009