Re: Damn Netflix popunders

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Dec 6, 2009.

  1. Arizona Willie wrote:
    > Anyone know how to stop those damn Netflix popunder ads? I've got Adblocker
    > and Firefox and IE set to block popups but the damn things still keep
    > coming.
    >
    > Nothing stops them it seems.

    I've never seen one. Can you post a link to one?
    Anyways, try and invest in a good HOSTS file. Maybe
    thats why I don't see any:
    http://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers/ or
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    help!!!!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Dec 6, 2009

  2. Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

    Justin Guest

    Arizona Willie wrote on [Sun, 06 Dec 2009 10:51:07 -0600]:
    > Arizona Willie <> wrote in
    >
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    >> <> wrote in

    >>> I've never seen one. Can you post a link to one?
    >>> Anyways, try and invest in a good HOSTS file. Maybe
    >>> thats why I don't see any:
    >>> http://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers/ or
    >>> http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    >>>

    >> =============
    >> Thanks I'll check into HOSTS files.
    >>

    > ===============
    > I just went to az.central.com and clicked on a survey there and saw the

    az.central.com is an invalid site.

    Perhaps provide a URL of a site where you see the ad, not the ad URL.

    Justin, Dec 7, 2009

  3. Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

    Justin Guest

    Arizona Willie wrote on [Mon, 07 Dec 2009 15:39:43 -0600]:
    > Justin <> wrote in
    >
    >> Arizona Willie wrote on [Sun, 06 Dec 2009 10:51:07 -0600]:
    >>> Arizona Willie <> wrote in

    > things

    >>> ===============
    >>> I just went to az.central.com and clicked on a survey there and saw

    > the
    >>
    >> az.central.com is an invalid site.
    >>
    >> Perhaps provide a URL of a site where you see the ad, not the ad URL.
    >>

    > =================
    > az.central.com is a valid site. It's ran by the local newspaper.
    > The actual url is: http://www.azcentral.com/news/#poll.

    The site doesn't refer to itself as az.central.com, it's azcentral.com.
    Big difference

    > Hmmm just noticed the period stuck in the middle of the name.
    > The url I posted was what appeared at the top of the Netflix ad, just
    > copied and pasted.

    That wasn't helpful, it's the URL of the site sending you the popunder,
    not the popunder itself.

    I just spent a few minutes at the site and got no popunder. I don't
    useadblock or the hosts file hack

    Justin, Dec 7, 2009
  4. Justin wrote:
    > Arizona Willie wrote on [Mon, 07 Dec 2009 15:39:43 -0600]:
    >> Justin <> wrote in

    >> things

    >> the
    >>> az.central.com is an invalid site.
    >>>
    >>> Perhaps provide a URL of a site where you see the ad, not the ad URL.
    >>>

    >> =================
    >> az.central.com is a valid site. It's ran by the local newspaper.
    >> The actual url is: http://www.azcentral.com/news/#poll.

    > The site doesn't refer to itself as az.central.com, it's azcentral.com.
    > Big difference
    >
    >> Hmmm just noticed the period stuck in the middle of the name.
    >> The url I posted was what appeared at the top of the Netflix ad, just
    >> copied and pasted.

    > That wasn't helpful, it's the URL of the site sending you the popunder,
    > not the popunder itself.
    >

    > I just spent a few minutes at the site and got no popunder. I don't
    > useadblock or the hosts file hack

    I have to agree, I didn't see anything either, and I
    don't have netflix in my hosts file.

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Dec 8, 2009