Re: d90 nef downlaod problem

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John McWilliams, Dec 18, 2008.

  1. wrote:
    > I can't download my NEF files from my new D90 to my pc. I am constantly
    > travelling and usually pop into internet cafes with my D80 and a usb cable
    > which I plug into any pc thats available so that I can transfer my D80
    > images to a pen drive. I can't do that now that I have brought the D90,
    > unless I first install some of Nikons software on the pc, which obviosly is
    > not an option in a cafe or on a friends pc.
    >
    > Without the Nikon software the NEF files downlaod as JPEGS! Is this a
    > fault with the D90? I f I can't get around the problem I will have to go
    > back to the shop and try and get my money back. Any ideas?

    Use a card reader.

    --
    john mcwilliams

    John McWilliams, Dec 18, 2008

  2. John McWilliams

    Guest

    On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 21:50:15 -0000, in rec.photo.digital
    <> wrote:

    >Hopefully that will do the job. But I feel annoyed about this because I
    >think its a deliberate change on the D90 by Nikon to make people use their
    >software.

    It appears so from the manual. There doesn't appear to be a setting for ptp
    or mass storage as before.

    , Dec 18, 2008

  3. John McWilliams

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 13:04:27 -0800, John McWilliams wrote:

    >> Without the Nikon software the NEF files downlaod as JPEGS! Is this a
    >> fault with the D90? I f I can't get around the problem I will have to go
    >> back to the shop and try and get my money back. Any ideas?

    > Use a card reader.

    The simplest are the tiny card readers packaged with some Sandisk
    and Transcend SDHC cards that plug directly into a computer's USB
    port. No cables needed. Sandisk's reader is nice in that it allows
    SDHC cards to be accessed by older computers that are only
    compatible with SD cards, which is probably why they were included.
    I suspect that the Transcend reader is bundled for the same reason.

    ASAAR, Dec 19, 2008