Re: d90 low iso

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John Sheehy, Dec 28, 2008.

  1. John Sheehy

    John Sheehy Guest

    <> wrote in
    news::

    > I'm sure there is a simple answer to my question and I'd like to hear
    > it. ISO on the D90 starts at 200, BUT it can also be set to 100. So
    > why not say it starts at 100? Is there something about the 100
    > setting that means its not really 100? I'm baffled.

    The usual caveat in situations like this is that ISO 100 doesn't have
    enough headroom in the sensor to warrant it as completely implemented.
    IOW, if you do use the ISO 100, the highlights will blow out more readily
    than if you shoot at ISO 200.

    John Sheehy, Dec 28, 2008

  2. John Sheehy

    measekite Guest

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 16:45:19 +0000, John Sheehy wrote:

    > <> wrote in
    >
    >> I'm sure there is a simple answer to my question and I'd like to hear
    >> it. ISO on the D90 starts at 200, BUT it can also be set to 100. So
    >> why not say it starts at 100? Is there something about the 100
    >> setting that means its not really 100? I'm baffled.

    > The usual caveat in situations like this is that ISO 100 doesn't have
    > enough headroom in the sensor to warrant it as completely implemented.
    > IOW, if you do use the ISO 100, the highlights will blow out more readily
    > than if you shoot at ISO 200.

    Why do you think this is so?

    measekite, Dec 29, 2008

  3. John Sheehy

    John Sheehy Guest

    measekite <> wrote in news:eaX5l.11657$YU2.7757
    @nlpi066.nbdc.sbc.com:

    > Why do you think this is so?

    The base ISO at which you can have any standard amount of highlight
    headroom in the RAW data (3.5 stops seems to be the traditional DSLR value)
    increases (along with the quantum efficiency) with each generation of
    camera. The 10D was about 64, the 5D, 1D2 and 400D about 87, the 20D about
    115, and the newest DSLRs in the 125 to 160 range. Current P&S cameras by
    this standard are about 160 to 200.

    John Sheehy, Dec 30, 2008