Re: d90 low iso

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by me@mine.net, Dec 27, 2008.

  1. Guest

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 18:25:35 -0000, in rec.photo.digital
    <> wrote:

    >I'm sure there is a simple answer to my question and I'd like to hear it.
    >ISO on the D90 starts at 200, BUT it can also be set to 100. So why not say
    >it starts at 100? Is there something about the 100 setting that means its
    >not really 100? I'm baffled.

    The native iso is 200. The D90 uses the same sensor as the D300, and the
    D300 manual provides a bit more info:

    LO 0.3–LO 1
    The settings [LO 0.3] through [LO 1] correspond to ISO sensitivities 0.3–
    1 EV below ISO 200 (ISO 160–100 equivalent). Use for larger apertures
    when lighting is bright. Contrast is slightly lower than normal; in most
    cases, ISO sensitivities of ISO 200 or above are recommended
    , Dec 27, 2008

  2. Guest

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 18:55:30 -0000, in rec.photo.digital
    <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 18:25:35 -0000, in rec.photo.digital
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm sure there is a simple answer to my question and I'd like to hear it.
    >>>ISO on the D90 starts at 200, BUT it can also be set to 100. So why not
    >>>say
    >>>it starts at 100? Is there something about the 100 setting that means its
    >>>not really 100? I'm baffled.

    >> The native iso is 200. The D90 uses the same sensor as the D300, and the
    >> D300 manual provides a bit more info:
    >>
    >> LO 0.3-LO 1
    >> The settings [LO 0.3] through [LO 1] correspond to ISO sensitivities 0.3-
    >> 1 EV below ISO 200 (ISO 160-100 equivalent). Use for larger apertures
    >> when lighting is bright. Contrast is slightly lower than normal; in most
    >> cases, ISO sensitivities of ISO 200 or above are recommended

    >I often carry a tripod, is it the case that I should not use the lower ISO
    >routinely?

    No. You really only want to use it for larger more wide open apertures
    where you wish a shorter depth of field in bright light

    > Today, when photographing inside a forest I shot about 15 photos
    >at ISO 100 and also the same shots at ISO 200, only about two of the 100
    >ISO's were worth keeping, the ISO200's was better in the other cases.

    So above. What where your camera settings? Examples would help if you can
    post them.

    >However, this was in a forest at low light with a tripod. In bright light
    >with no tripod I guess the lower contrast wuold be an advantage. By the way,
    >what does the D300 manual say about going to extended ISO? :)

    The lower iso/constrast is really only an advantage where you wish a
    shallow DOF with wide open apertures. Otherwise, I don't think using this
    is a plus.

    FWIW, You can DL the D300 manual off the Nikon Tech Support site.

    HI 0.3–HI 1
    The settings [HI 0.3] through [HI 1] correspond to ISO sensitivities 0.3–1
    EV
    over ISO 3200 (ISO 4000–6400 equivalent). Pictures taken at these
    settings are more likely to be subject to noise and color distortion.

    I only use them when I need the shutter speed they provide.
    , Dec 27, 2008