    I would hate to be set up wrong and loose half of what I take.
    I've used the SB25 on Nikon 8008 with great results but that was ttl.
    Any help would be appreciated

    Bob E, Mar 17, 2005

  2. Bob E

    Diane Wilson Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > I'm a newbi in this technology. I have the chance to buy a D70 and I
    > have an SB25 flash.. The manual says I can use it but not ttl mode.
    > Do I set the flash in "A" mode ? what would I set the camera on ??
    > Eventually I would be doing some wedding photos (just as a a friend) and
    > I would hate to be set up wrong and loose half of what I take.
    > I've used the SB25 on Nikon 8008 with great results but that was ttl.
    > Any help would be appreciated

    If you like TTL flash, it would pay to get one of the new Nikon
    flashes, the SB600 or SB800. In "A" mode, the SB25 would meter
    itself, and the camera will meter itself independently. Or
    you'd have to turn off a lot of the automation on the D70,
    especially if you're trying to do fill flash. It would take
    some practice, and you might not be as happy with the results.
    It certainly won't be as versatile and flexible as TTL flash.

    Depending on ambient light, you *might* be able to leave the
    D70 on full automation, or you might need to learn to override
    the exposure automation, or you might need to go to full
    manual exposure. So much depends on what you're trying to
    do; there isn't a single answer. If you're doing a wedding
    (particularly as a non-pro, without a lot of experience),
    you don't even want to have to think about these things,
    or you'll lose a lot of shots. TTL flash is there to save
    you from these problems.

    A lot of the real power of TTL flash is in being able to
    take the flash off the camera. On-camera flash is a
    convenience, but it's also the worst location possible
    for the flash. For a decent portrait, you'll want your
    primary flash off to the side, with the flash bounced
    off a reflector or filtered with a (large) diffuser.

    I have a couple of old SB28 flashes that I want to continue to
    use with my D70, but I'm only going to be able to use them as
    second or third flash units, at best. I got one SB800 with my
    D70, so I could start experimenting with the newer iTTL
    control, and also so I could get the book on the new flash
    so I could see how to connect additional flash units to it.
    At the very least, I should be able to use one SB28 as a
    slave with the SU-4 (optical slave synch) for a hair light.

    Basically, though, the old flashes are mostly obsolete.

    Diane

    Diane Wilson, Mar 17, 2005

  3. Bob E

    Bob E Guest

    Well that settles it ! I have to upgrade to be sure and take any
    pictures with confidence. I'll try your suggestion about experimenting
    with manual setting just for the fun of it and to get to understand
    what's happening a little better. I appreciate your time and
    information, sometimes the "detailed" instructions you have to work with
    only complicates what your trying to understand.
    Thanks again for the help and recommendation.
    Bob

    Bob E, Mar 17, 2005
  4. Bob E

    Jim Guest

    "Bob E" <> wrote in message
    > I'm a newbi in this technology. I have the chance to buy a D70 and I
    > have an SB25 flash.. The manual says I can use it but not ttl mode.
    > Do I set the flash in "A" mode ? what would I set the camera on ??

    The options for using this flash is discussed in the manual on page 188.
    Jim

    Jim, Mar 18, 2005
  5. this may be of interest to you...
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D70/D70A8.HTM

    Christopher Muto, Mar 18, 2005
  6. Bob E

    Jim Guest

    "Jim" <> wrote in message

    > "Bob E" <> wrote in message
    > > I'm a newbi in this technology. I have the chance to buy a D70 and I
    > > have an SB25 flash.. The manual says I can use it but not ttl mode.
    > > Do I set the flash in "A" mode ? what would I set the camera on ??

    > The options for using this flash is discussed in the manual on page 188.
    > Jim

    As a follow up for my own post, I would set the camera and the flash on A.
    That is non-ttl flash on the gun.

    If the setting is wrong, the camera will not take the picture. So, try it
    youself to decide which settings work best for you.
    Jim

    Jim, Mar 18, 2005