Re: D5100 File numbering...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rob, Mar 20, 2013.

  1. Rob

    Rob Guest

    On 20/03/2013 12:23 PM, wrote:
    > On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 18:51:55 -0000, "Jake" <> wrote:
    >
    >> This camera has three options, File number sequence on/off/reset.
    >>
    >> The default is off, I guess this means that the camera will number the
    >> photos sequentially from the last photo shot, once I wipe the card, it will
    >> start again from DSC_0001
    >>
    >> I don't want it to do this so I turned it to on, and shot some more photos.
    >> However it created a new folder 101D5100 and started from DSC_0001, ignoring
    >> the 270 or so I had already shot in 100D5100.
    >>
    >> I renamed the files manually so the sequence matches and moved them into
    >> 100D5100, then turned the number sequence to off. But when I fill the card,
    >> it will start shooting from DSC_0001 again, how do I get it to remember the
    >> last number even when I wipe the card?
    >>
    >> Turning it on the file number sequence, any further photos are at DSC_0030
    >> or something, the thirty or so photos I shot before I realised they were all
    >> out of sequence.
    >>

    > The system in Nikon is a bit strange, but if you want to start off with a
    > specific number, you need to put in a card with a photo with the last number you
    > want, I.E. DCP0270.
    >
    > Make sure that folder is selected in the shooting menu under FOLDERS.
    >
    > Set the File Number Seq. to RESET and take a picture, it will be DCP0271.
    >
    > Now change the File Number Seq. to ON.
    >
    > IMPORTANT: If the Nikon has in its memory the fact it took a picture numbered
    > higher, I.E. DCP0319, the previous might not work! It will become DCP0320!
    >
    > If this happens, turn the File Number Seq. to OFF and start a new folder and
    > take a pic at DCP0001, then change to the folder with DCP0270, and start again
    > at the top of this sequence!
    >
    > (An easy way to start a new folder is to put a file named DCP9999.)
    >
    > I am going by my D600 but it should be the same.
    >
    > Good luck!

    It ain't straight forward is it!

    Rob, Mar 20, 2013

  2. Rob

    David Taylor Guest

    On 20/03/2013 01:44, Rob wrote:
    []
    > It ain't straight forward is it!

    Yes, it's very straight forward once the file sequence numbering is set
    to ON. Why that's not the default escapes me!
    --
    Cheers,
    David

    David Taylor, Mar 20, 2013

  3. Rob

    Rob Guest

    On 20/03/2013 5:25 PM, David Taylor wrote:
    > On 20/03/2013 01:44, Rob wrote:
    > []
    >> It ain't straight forward is it!

    > Yes, it's very straight forward once the file sequence numbering is set
    > to ON. Why that's not the default escapes me!

    Did you read my other post?

    If you hadn't snipped the previous you would have seen to which I referred.

    Rob, Mar 20, 2013
  4. Rob

    David Taylor Guest

    On 20/03/2013 07:57, Rob wrote:
    []
    > Did you read my other post?
    >
    > If you hadn't snipped the previous you would have seen to which I referred.

    I still think that the default is wrong, and had it been ON from the
    start there would have been less chance for confusion.

    BTW: I find the practice of quoting pages and pages of previous posts
    rather unhelpful, at least most of the time. I prefer to see post and
    response on the one page.
    --
    Cheers,
    David