Re: D5100 File numbering...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rob, Mar 19, 2013.

  1. Rob

    Rob Guest

    On 20/03/2013 5:51 AM, Jake wrote:
    > This camera has three options, File number sequence on/off/reset.
    >
    > The default is off, I guess this means that the camera will number the
    > photos sequentially from the last photo shot, once I wipe the card, it will
    > start again from DSC_0001
    >
    > I don't want it to do this so I turned it to on, and shot some more photos.
    > However it created a new folder 101D5100 and started from DSC_0001, ignoring
    > the 270 or so I had already shot in 100D5100.
    >
    > I renamed the files manually so the sequence matches and moved them into
    > 100D5100, then turned the number sequence to off. But when I fill the card,
    > it will start shooting from DSC_0001 again, how do I get it to remember the
    > last number even when I wipe the card?
    >
    > Turning it on the file number sequence, any further photos are at DSC_0030
    > or something, the thirty or so photos I shot before I realised they were all
    > out of sequence.

    In the Custom menu - d has shooting and display d5 File number
    sequence ON

    It will not add shots or continue if you manually number the last file
    as a starter. (has a mind of its own.)

    Yes it will count the images on the card 001>??? but if you look
    further down (the bottom of the screen)it will also count the actual
    saved files 1-9999 _DSN0001.to _DSN9999. Each folder contains 999 files
    before it makes a new folder but continues the sequence.

    My suggestion is to turn the sequence to ON then just shoot your images
    and any images that have the same number that you have previously saved
    keep as a duplicate file.

    Rob, Mar 19, 2013