Re: D300 review at DPReview

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rita Berkowitz, Mar 13, 2008.

  1. Focus wrote:

    > Uncle Phil is still a Canon fan, obviously, because he compares the
    > D300 with a 1.8 50mm against the 40D with a 1.4. C'mon Phil! That's
    > BS. He thinks the ergonomics and handling of both camera's is the same.
    > Right. Try to change aperture and shutterspeed in manual mode at the
    > same time and you'll see he's wrong.
    > Then he has sharpness on 3 of 9, because he says the picture will
    > suffer from artifacts. I've been taking pictures from the very start
    > on 9 and have no such problem. Maybe it's Phil?
    > With the samples he shows that he's really not a top photographer:
    > very uninteresting, flat shots, no action shots (in which the D300
    > excels) and no shots that use the Active D-Lighting feature.


    The crux of the problem is most Canon shooters aren't used to seeing sharp
    images when they use L glass. This is one major complaint when a Canon
    shooter switches to Nikon, the razor sharp images with creamy bokeh is too
    much for their mind to comprehend all at once. This is why Nikon has taken
    into consideration of putting in a "Canon" mode in their pro bodies. This
    mode will emulate all the blurriness and focus problems associated with most
    Canon bodies. There will also be an "Error 99" emulator as well.

    > All in all: I've seen much better reviews.


    True!




    Rita
    Rita Berkowitz, Mar 13, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Rita Berkowitz

    Jufi Guest

    "Rita Berkowitz" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Focus wrote:
    >
    > The crux of the problem is most Canon shooters aren't used to seeing sharp
    > images when they use L glass. This is one major complaint when a Canon
    > shooter switches to Nikon, the razor sharp images with creamy bokeh is too
    > much for their mind to comprehend all at once. This is why Nikon has
    > taken
    > into consideration of putting in a "Canon" mode in their pro bodies. This
    > mode will emulate all the blurriness and focus problems associated with
    > most
    > Canon bodies. There will also be an "Error 99" emulator as well.
    >


    Your insanity has reached new levels! Probably because your ass has reached
    a new huge size.
    Jufi, Mar 13, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Rita Berkowitz

    Focus Guest

    "Rita Berkowitz" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Focus wrote:
    >
    >> Uncle Phil is still a Canon fan, obviously, because he compares the
    >> D300 with a 1.8 50mm against the 40D with a 1.4. C'mon Phil! That's
    >> BS. He thinks the ergonomics and handling of both camera's is the same.
    >> Right. Try to change aperture and shutterspeed in manual mode at the
    >> same time and you'll see he's wrong.
    >> Then he has sharpness on 3 of 9, because he says the picture will
    >> suffer from artifacts. I've been taking pictures from the very start
    >> on 9 and have no such problem. Maybe it's Phil?
    >> With the samples he shows that he's really not a top photographer:
    >> very uninteresting, flat shots, no action shots (in which the D300
    >> excels) and no shots that use the Active D-Lighting feature.

    >
    > The crux of the problem is most Canon shooters aren't used to seeing sharp
    > images when they use L glass. This is one major complaint when a Canon
    > shooter switches to Nikon, the razor sharp images with creamy bokeh is too
    > much for their mind to comprehend all at once. This is why Nikon has
    > taken
    > into consideration of putting in a "Canon" mode in their pro bodies. This
    > mode will emulate all the blurriness and focus problems associated with
    > most
    > Canon bodies. There will also be an "Error 99" emulator as well.
    >
    >> All in all: I've seen much better reviews.

    >
    > True!
    >


    LOL, your humor is priceless! Too bad there's an ocean between us, otherwise
    I'd sure would like to have some coffee with you!
    Any chance you ever have a holiday in Portugal?


    --
    Focus
    Focus, Mar 13, 2008
    #3
  4. Focus wrote:

    >> The crux of the problem is most Canon shooters aren't used to seeing
    >> sharp images when they use L glass. This is one major complaint
    >> when a Canon shooter switches to Nikon, the razor sharp images with
    >> creamy bokeh is too much for their mind to comprehend all at once.
    >> This is why Nikon has taken
    >> into consideration of putting in a "Canon" mode in their pro bodies.
    >> This mode will emulate all the blurriness and focus problems
    >> associated with most
    >> Canon bodies. There will also be an "Error 99" emulator as well.
    >>
    >>> All in all: I've seen much better reviews.

    >>
    >> True!
    >>

    >
    > LOL, your humor is priceless! Too bad there's an ocean between us,
    > otherwise I'd sure would like to have some coffee with you!
    > Any chance you ever have a holiday in Portugal?


    That's in the the plan.




    Rita
    Rita Berkowitz, Mar 13, 2008
    #4
  5. Rita Berkowitz

    Focus Guest

    "Rita Berkowitz" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Focus wrote:
    >
    >>> The crux of the problem is most Canon shooters aren't used to seeing
    >>> sharp images when they use L glass. This is one major complaint
    >>> when a Canon shooter switches to Nikon, the razor sharp images with
    >>> creamy bokeh is too much for their mind to comprehend all at once. This
    >>> is why Nikon has taken
    >>> into consideration of putting in a "Canon" mode in their pro bodies.
    >>> This mode will emulate all the blurriness and focus problems
    >>> associated with most
    >>> Canon bodies. There will also be an "Error 99" emulator as well.
    >>>
    >>>> All in all: I've seen much better reviews.
    >>>
    >>> True!
    >>>

    >>
    >> LOL, your humor is priceless! Too bad there's an ocean between us,
    >> otherwise I'd sure would like to have some coffee with you!
    >> Any chance you ever have a holiday in Portugal?

    >
    > That's in the the plan.
    >


    You'll never regret it. It'll blow your mind. Be sure to take a lot of CF
    cards or an incredible large imagetank. ;-)

    --
    Focus
    Focus, Mar 13, 2008
    #5
  6. Rita Berkowitz

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <>, Rita Berkowitz says...

    > The crux of the problem is most Canon shooters aren't used to seeing sharp
    > images when they use L glass.


    They call it "aliasing".
    --

    Alfred Molon
    ------------------------------
    Olympus 50X0, 8080, E3X0, E4X0, E5X0 and E3 forum at
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MyOlympus/
    http://myolympus.org/ photo sharing site
    Alfred Molon, Mar 13, 2008
    #6
  7. Focus wrote:

    >>> LOL, your humor is priceless! Too bad there's an ocean between us,
    >>> otherwise I'd sure would like to have some coffee with you!
    >>> Any chance you ever have a holiday in Portugal?

    >>
    >> That's in the the plan.

    >
    > You'll never regret it. It'll blow your mind. Be sure to take a lot
    > of CF cards or an incredible large imagetank. ;-)


    Yep, it seems like you have a lot of interesting things happening,
    especially outdoors over there. With spring around the corner over here it
    should pick up a bit for the outdoor stuff. The reptiles are starting to
    come out. Storage isn't a problem.




    Rita
    Rita Berkowitz, Mar 13, 2008
    #7
  8. Rita Berkowitz

    Focus Guest

    "Rita Berkowitz" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Focus wrote:
    >
    >>>> LOL, your humor is priceless! Too bad there's an ocean between us,
    >>>> otherwise I'd sure would like to have some coffee with you!
    >>>> Any chance you ever have a holiday in Portugal?
    >>>
    >>> That's in the the plan.

    >>
    >> You'll never regret it. It'll blow your mind. Be sure to take a lot
    >> of CF cards or an incredible large imagetank. ;-)

    >
    > Yep, it seems like you have a lot of interesting things happening,
    > especially outdoors over there. With spring around the corner over here
    > it
    > should pick up a bit for the outdoor stuff. The reptiles are starting to
    > come out. Storage isn't a problem.
    >


    Check out google with quinta, palacio and Portugal. The Quinta da Regaleira
    is an amazing place. Will take all day to see. Many more palaces and quintas
    around Lisbon. Wild life in the north: wolves and golden eagles. Fantastic
    mountains with waterfalls. Rocks, beautiful beaches all along the coast.
    Weatherproof weather ;-)
    What I like is the way they leave things alone. Old buildings, old walls (of
    Roman times) nothing is broken down. Abandoned factories, houses etc. make
    excellent photo locations.
    I would stay away from the Algarve in the summer season.

    Did you know that Portugal is not only one of the oldest of the European
    countries, but also has the oldest original border? So older even than
    Greece or Italy.
    Best part is the people; very friendly and not so used to visitors (yet).
    But a lot of them don't speak English. I would say very below average
    compared with any other western European country. Even much of the policemen
    don't speak English.
    One time I started talking to a young cop in Lisbon, but not one word....
    Unbelievable.


    --
    Focus
    Focus, Mar 14, 2008
    #8
  9. Rita Berkowitz

    Charles Guest

    "Rita Berkowitz" <> wrote in message
    news:...


    > The crux of the problem is most Canon shooters aren't used to seeing sharp
    > images when they use L glass. This is one major complaint when a Canon
    > shooter switches to Nikon, the razor sharp images with creamy bokeh is too
    > much for their mind to comprehend all at once. This is why Nikon has
    > taken
    > into consideration of putting in a "Canon" mode in their pro bodies. This
    > mode will emulate all the blurriness and focus problems associated with
    > most
    > Canon bodies. There will also be an "Error 99" emulator as well.


    Razor sharp with creamy bokeh ... sounds like something to be posted to the
    Wine Spectator forum.

    LOL and coughing and gasping and then ...
    Charles, Mar 14, 2008
    #9
  10. Rita Berkowitz

    RichA Guest

    On Mar 13, 8:03 pm, "Charles" <> wrote:
    > "Rita Berkowitz" <> wrote in message
    >
    > news:...
    >
    > > The crux of the problem is most Canon shooters aren't used to seeing sharp
    > > images when they use L glass. This is one major complaint when a Canon
    > > shooter switches to Nikon, the razor sharp images with creamy bokeh is too
    > > much for their mind to comprehend all at once. This is why Nikon has
    > > taken
    > > into consideration of putting in a "Canon" mode in their pro bodies. This
    > > mode will emulate all the blurriness and focus problems associated with
    > > most
    > > Canon bodies. There will also be an "Error 99" emulator as well.

    >
    > Razor sharp with creamy bokeh ... sounds like something to be posted to the
    > Wine Spectator forum.
    >
    > LOL and coughing and gasping and then ...


    And a humidity indicator so you can take your failing Canon indoors
    when it goes over 50%.
    RichA, Mar 14, 2008
    #10
  11. Rita Berkowitz

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Rita Berkowitz <> wrote:
    >The crux of the problem is most Canon shooters aren't used to seeing sharp
    >images when they use L glass.


    The problem is that you're a dishonest troll and pathetic suckup.

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Mar 14, 2008
    #11
  12. ["Followup-To:" header set to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems.]
    Rita Berkowitz <> wrote:

    > The crux of the problem is most Canon shooters aren't used to seeing sharp
    > images when they use L glass.


    From somene who has never used L glass, Rita ...

    > This is why Nikon has taken
    > into consideration of putting in a "Canon" mode in their pro bodies.


    Canon once thought of putting a Nikon mode into their bodies.
    The minutes of that meeting note that would entail (according
    to Rita):
    - Max resolution of 1024x786
    - extreme oversharpening
    - Bokeh so ugly it frightens small children
    - blown highlights
    - Focussing on anything but the eyes in portraits
    - a complete inability to compose images
    - A completely anal phase in photography
    - Metering only works on selected lenses, as the light meter
    needs enough CPU power in the lens
    - AF only works on selected AF lenses
    - Fanboys claiming everything works with every lens
    ....

    At this point everyone in the meeting was laughing so hard it
    had to be adjurned. As they noted: "You can mount a Nikon lens
    to a Canon body, if you really want, but you cannot mount Canon
    lens to Nikon bodies ... so we are way more compatible anyway."

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Mar 14, 2008
    #12
  13. Focus wrote:

    > Check out google with quinta, palacio and Portugal. The Quinta da
    > Regaleira is an amazing place. Will take all day to see. Many more
    > palaces and quintas around Lisbon. Wild life in the north: wolves and
    > golden eagles. Fantastic mountains with waterfalls. Rocks, beautiful
    > beaches all along the coast. Weatherproof weather ;-)
    > What I like is the way they leave things alone. Old buildings, old
    > walls (of Roman times) nothing is broken down. Abandoned factories,
    > houses etc. make excellent photo locations.
    > I would stay away from the Algarve in the summer season.
    >
    > Did you know that Portugal is not only one of the oldest of the
    > European countries, but also has the oldest original border? So older
    > even than Greece or Italy.
    > Best part is the people; very friendly and not so used to visitors
    > (yet). But a lot of them don't speak English. I would say very below
    > average compared with any other western European country. Even much
    > of the policemen don't speak English.
    > One time I started talking to a young cop in Lisbon, but not one
    > word.... Unbelievable.


    Thanks for the pointers. I'll definitely e-mail you when the date is set
    and maybe my family can hook up with yours and you can show us around.




    Rita
    Rita Berkowitz, Mar 14, 2008
    #13
  14. Focus wrote:

    >> Canon once thought of putting a Nikon mode into their bodies.
    >> The minutes of that meeting note that would entail (according
    >> to Rita):
    >> - Max resolution of 1024x786
    >> - extreme oversharpening
    >> - Bokeh so ugly it frightens small children
    >> - blown highlights
    >> - Focussing on anything but the eyes in portraits
    >> - a complete inability to compose images
    >> - A completely anal phase in photography
    >> - Metering only works on selected lenses, as the light meter
    >> needs enough CPU power in the lens
    >> - AF only works on selected AF lenses
    >> - Fanboys claiming everything works with every lens
    >> ...

    >
    > For someone with such a big mouth, you sure don't show much...
    > Afraid of being laughed out of this newsgroup, right?
    > So take your camera (if you even have one) and show us how it's
    > really done. I'm sure all of us would love to see the works of an
    > expert.


    Funny, you are finally figuring out what little Wolfie is all about? He's a
    sad one, that's for sure. I know on thing, I must have emotionally damaged
    him since little Wolfie really took a shine to me like that dog turd that
    gets stuck to the sole of your shoe.




    Rita
    Rita Berkowitz, Mar 14, 2008
    #14
  15. Rita Berkowitz

    Focus Guest

    "Rita Berkowitz" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Focus wrote:
    >
    >> Check out google with quinta, palacio and Portugal. The Quinta da
    >> Regaleira is an amazing place. Will take all day to see. Many more
    >> palaces and quintas around Lisbon. Wild life in the north: wolves and
    >> golden eagles. Fantastic mountains with waterfalls. Rocks, beautiful
    >> beaches all along the coast. Weatherproof weather ;-)
    >> What I like is the way they leave things alone. Old buildings, old
    >> walls (of Roman times) nothing is broken down. Abandoned factories,
    >> houses etc. make excellent photo locations.
    >> I would stay away from the Algarve in the summer season.
    >>
    >> Did you know that Portugal is not only one of the oldest of the
    >> European countries, but also has the oldest original border? So older
    >> even than Greece or Italy.
    >> Best part is the people; very friendly and not so used to visitors
    >> (yet). But a lot of them don't speak English. I would say very below
    >> average compared with any other western European country. Even much
    >> of the policemen don't speak English.
    >> One time I started talking to a young cop in Lisbon, but not one
    >> word.... Unbelievable.

    >
    > Thanks for the pointers. I'll definitely e-mail you when the date is set
    > and maybe my family can hook up with yours and you can show us around.


    It will be my (our) pleasure!
    There are still a lot of places I want to visit too. I've been living here
    for more than a year now, but I've only been around my city in a circle of
    about 50 miles. And still I have so much left to see even there.
    Lisbon is an amazing capitol with very much to see and do. Much nice and
    modern shopping malls and great landmarks, like the Christo Rei (Christ the
    King); very like the one in Brazil but smaller. About 100 yards tall. The
    Ponte de 25 Abril is an almost identical bridge to the Golden Gate in San
    Francisco. It was even built and designed by the same people. The other
    bridge, Vasco da Gama, is the longest of Europe, both crossing the Tagus
    river.
    For photography is really is one of the best places: you see the super rich
    from Estoril's Casino (biggest in Europe) and a little later you pass a man
    with a donkey or a goat shepherd. The last are still very much around.

    Hm, maybe I should become a part time travel guide?
    Anyone else? ;-)


    --
    Focus
    Focus, Mar 14, 2008
    #15
  16. Rita Berkowitz

    RichA Guest

    On Mar 14, 2:35 am, (Ray Fischer) wrote:
    > Rita Berkowitz <> wrote:
    > >The crux of the problem is most Canon shooters aren't used to seeing sharp
    > >images when they use L glass.

    >
    > The problem is that you're a dishonest troll and pathetic suckup.
    >
    > --
    > Ray Fischer
    >


    Take a look at Nikon's 14-24mm f2.8. Look at the design. Do you
    think the cheap bastards at Canon would EVER produce something that
    radical just to obtain decent image quality? They could care LESS,
    they had the chance with the 16-35mm f2.8, a pricey lens and they did
    NOTHING much to improve it. They cynically disregard the problems
    with their gear and hope the people using their equipment will just
    take the problems in stride. Must be nice being guinea pigs.
    RichA, Mar 14, 2008
    #16
  17. RichA wrote:

    >>> The crux of the problem is most Canon shooters aren't used to
    >>> seeing sharp images when they use L glass.

    >>
    >> The problem is that you're a dishonest troll and pathetic suckup.

    >
    > Take a look at Nikon's 14-24mm f2.8. Look at the design. Do you
    > think the cheap bastards at Canon would EVER produce something that
    > radical just to obtain decent image quality? They could care LESS,
    > they had the chance with the 16-35mm f2.8, a pricey lens and they did
    > NOTHING much to improve it. They cynically disregard the problems
    > with their gear and hope the people using their equipment will just
    > take the problems in stride. Must be nice being guinea pigs.


    It takes great skill and pride in manufacturing a lens as great as the
    14-24/2.8 Nikkor. As for the 16-35/2.8L II, you're right! It would have
    taken Canon a total redesign to make that lens work. What the hell! If
    Canon shooters are with two week old spoiled meatloaf instead of fresh
    properly aged filet mignon so be it.




    Rita
    Rita Berkowitz, Mar 14, 2008
    #17
  18. Rita Berkowitz

    Ray Fischer Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >On Mar 14, 2:35 am, (Ray Fischer) wrote:
    >> Rita Berkowitz <> wrote:
    >> >The crux of the problem is most Canon shooters aren't used to seeing sharp
    >> >images when they use L glass.

    >>
    >> The problem is that you're a dishonest troll and pathetic suckup.

    >
    >Take a look at Nikon's 14-24mm f2.8. Look at the design. Do you


    You idiots just don't get it. You're so stuck in the juvenile "my
    dick is bigger than yours" crap that you can't understand that it
    doesn't matter. You can (and do) take pictures that are garbage even
    with the most expensive equipment.

    No matter what corporation you're sucking up to there is always
    somebody who makes something better. Cope.

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Mar 15, 2008
    #18
  19. Rita Berkowitz

    measekite Guest

    Alfred Molon wrote:

    In article &lt;&gt;, Rita Berkowitz says...



    The crux of the problem is most Canon shooters aren't used to seeing sharp images when they use L glass.

    That is bull


    They call it "aliasing".
    measekite, Mar 15, 2008
    #19
  20. Rita Berkowitz

    RichA Guest

    On Mar 15, 1:38 am, (Ray Fischer) wrote:
    > RichA <> wrote:
    > >On Mar 14, 2:35 am, (Ray Fischer) wrote:
    > >> Rita Berkowitz <> wrote:
    > >> >The crux of the problem is most Canon shooters aren't used to seeing sharp
    > >> >images when they use L glass.

    >
    > >> The problem is that you're a dishonest troll and pathetic suckup.

    >
    > >Take a look at Nikon's 14-24mm f2.8. Look at the design. Do you

    >
    > You idiots just don't get it. You're so stuck in the juvenile "my
    > dick is bigger than yours" crap that you can't understand that it
    > doesn't matter. You can (and do) take pictures that are garbage even
    > with the most expensive equipment.


    Sure you can, but USING garbage won't help someone in either case.
    Equipment sure DOES matter.
    RichA, Mar 16, 2008
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. gilbert grape

    Phil's Sony 828 Review Is Up In Dpreview Site

    gilbert grape, Jan 10, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    20
    Views:
    721
  2. BG250

    D70 review now up on dpreview

    BG250, Apr 6, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    41
    Views:
    1,089
    Bill Funk
    Apr 24, 2004
  3. Silverstrand

    iStar D-Storm D300 3U 19-inch Rackmount Chassis Review

    Silverstrand, Aug 11, 2006, in forum: Front Page News
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,191
    Silverstrand
    Aug 11, 2006
  4. Bill Tuthill

    Dpreview's review of Olympus E-300

    Bill Tuthill, Jan 14, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    152
    Views:
    2,076
    Ton Maas
    Jan 25, 2005
  5. Paul Rubin

    dpreview powershot 620 review up

    Paul Rubin, Nov 29, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    245
    Paul Rubin
    Nov 29, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page