Re: D300 Problems - What went wrong?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Me, Aug 13, 2012.

  1. Me

    Me Guest

    On 10/08/2012 8:21 p.m., Eric Stevens wrote:

    In the early days of the D300, there were quite a few reports of "Dead
    Battery Syndrome" in DPReview forum. Several posters reported great
    success using a contact cleaning/conditioning formula marketed as
    "Deoxit" on the battery and terminals.
    Your problem doesn't sound at all like "Dead Battery Syndrome". I was
    also very skeptical of claims made about some snake-oil.
    However, our of sheer frustration dealing with intermittent poor
    contacts in other electronic equipment repairs, I bought some of this
    stuff (kit of Deoxit "red" and "gold"). It's expensive. It has worked
    extremely well for me. I can't provide any objective "proof" that it
    works (ie better than anything else), just that it /seems/ to be much
    more effective than anything else I've tried for dealing with things
    like dodgy chip connectors, miniature ribbon cable connectors, noisy
    contacts in assorted audio devices etc.
    I have a D300, but haven't had anything like the problem you describe.
    if I did, the first thing I would try would be some deoxit on the lens
    and body electronic contacts.
    Sorry - this probably reads a bit like a shill post from a snake-oil
    salesman, and "toolkit in a can" type claims are common and dubious. I'm
    not connected to the people who make deoxit in any way.

    Me, Aug 13, 2012

  2. Me

    Me Guest

    On 13/08/2012 5:04 p.m., Eric Stevens wrote:
    > On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 11:56:41 +1200, Me <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 10/08/2012 8:21 p.m., Eric Stevens wrote:
    >>
    >> In the early days of the D300, there were quite a few reports of "Dead
    >> Battery Syndrome" in DPReview forum. Several posters reported great
    >> success using a contact cleaning/conditioning formula marketed as
    >> "Deoxit" on the battery and terminals.
    >> Your problem doesn't sound at all like "Dead Battery Syndrome". I was
    >> also very skeptical of claims made about some snake-oil.
    >> However, our of sheer frustration dealing with intermittent poor
    >> contacts in other electronic equipment repairs, I bought some of this
    >> stuff (kit of Deoxit "red" and "gold"). It's expensive. It has worked
    >> extremely well for me. I can't provide any objective "proof" that it
    >> works (ie better than anything else), just that it /seems/ to be much
    >> more effective than anything else I've tried for dealing with things
    >> like dodgy chip connectors, miniature ribbon cable connectors, noisy
    >> contacts in assorted audio devices etc.
    >> I have a D300, but haven't had anything like the problem you describe.
    >> if I did, the first thing I would try would be some deoxit on the lens
    >> and body electronic contacts.
    >> Sorry - this probably reads a bit like a shill post from a snake-oil
    >> salesman, and "toolkit in a can" type claims are common and dubious. I'm
    >> not connected to the people who make deoxit in any way.

    > I accept your claim re Deoxit. It is not commonly known that gold will
    > form a thin oxide film at relative humidities above 80%. This is why
    > 80% RH is one of the environmental specificatons for computerised
    > equipment.

    Yes - I don't think the D300 has gold plated lens contacts on the body
    mount though - they look silver coloured to me, but it's evening and I'm
    looking under artificial light.
    That said - I haven't had a problem with the camera at all in 5 years.
    It has survived being tossed from a 1.8m high shelf, landing on a wooden
    floor, and bouncing off the far wall, with only loss of some paint on
    the "qual" button which must have hit something else on the way, during
    rather an interesting earthquake. The lens that was mounted on it was
    smashed beyond repair, but I used the camera over the next few days to
    take photos of our house, which was substantially destroyed, the photos
    have come in handy for insurance purposes.
    It also survived 5 years with about 6 weeks a year on our yacht, a rogue
    wave dumping on it about 3 years ago with the only immediate option
    being to run the fresh water tap over the body, pat it with a towel, and
    leave it to dry.
    It has that "well used" look, but still functions "as new". I figure
    that it owes me nothing now, and was a good purchase.

    > As for the cause of the fault: I've established that and spelled it
    > out in a separate article.

    I didn't read that post - sorted I hope?

    Me, Aug 13, 2012

  3. Me

    otter Guest

    On Aug 13, 2:44 am, Me <> wrote:
    > On 13/08/2012 5:04 p.m., Eric Stevens wrote:

    > > As for the cause of the fault: I've established that and spelled it
    > > out in a separate article.

    > I didn't read that post - sorted I hope?

    Yeah, I missed that as well. Can you give a link? Just curious what
    you diagnosed the problem to be.

    otter, Aug 13, 2012