Re: D300 Problems - What went wrong?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Wolfgang Weisselberg, Aug 10, 2012.

  1. Eric Stevens <> wrote:
    > There was I happily snapping away and every now and then I would lift
    > up the camera and examine the rear view screen to see how badly I had
    > been doing. Suddenly I found that pressing the view button produced no
    > effect. The screen remained black. It remained black when I pressed
    > the menu button also. Turning things on and off made no difference.
    > Neither did pressing the shutter button. Suddenly 'click - crunch',
    > the camera took a photo and everything worked again.

    Contact trouble between lens and camera? If the contacts are
    at the bottom of the mount --- which is the top then --- and a
    slight give in the bayonet lets them get apart a bit ... a 70-200
    isn't the lightest lens.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Aug 10, 2012

  2. Wolfgang Weisselberg

    Rob Guest

    On 11/08/2012 7:23 AM, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
    > Eric Stevens <> wrote:
    >> There was I happily snapping away and every now and then I would lift
    >> up the camera and examine the rear view screen to see how badly I had
    >> been doing. Suddenly I found that pressing the view button produced no
    >> effect. The screen remained black. It remained black when I pressed
    >> the menu button also. Turning things on and off made no difference.
    >> Neither did pressing the shutter button. Suddenly 'click - crunch',
    >> the camera took a photo and everything worked again.

    > Contact trouble between lens and camera? If the contacts are
    > at the bottom of the mount --- which is the top then --- and a
    > slight give in the bayonet lets them get apart a bit ... a 70-200
    > isn't the lightest lens.
    >
    > -Wolfgang

    So your recommendation? buy a lighter lens?
    Rob, Aug 12, 2012

  3. Wolfgang Weisselberg

    jdd Guest

    Le 12/08/2012 14:24, Rob a écrit :

    > So your recommendation? buy a lighter lens?

    looks like you turned on the option used to take himself on the photo
    (retardateur in french). I also did so at least once

    jdd
    jdd, Aug 12, 2012
  4. Wolfgang Weisselberg

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 15:10:43 +0200, jdd <> wrote:
    : Le 12/08/2012 14:24, Rob a écrit :
    :
    : > So your recommendation? buy a lighter lens?
    :
    : looks like you turned on the option used to take himself on the photo
    : (retardateur in french). I also did so at least once

    En anglais, c'est "self-timer".

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Aug 12, 2012
  5. Wolfgang Weisselberg

    Bruce Guest

    Rob <> wrote:

    >On 11/08/2012 7:23 AM, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
    >> Eric Stevens <> wrote:
    >>> There was I happily snapping away and every now and then I would lift
    >>> up the camera and examine the rear view screen to see how badly I had
    >>> been doing. Suddenly I found that pressing the view button produced no
    >>> effect. The screen remained black. It remained black when I pressed
    >>> the menu button also. Turning things on and off made no difference.
    >>> Neither did pressing the shutter button. Suddenly 'click - crunch',
    >>> the camera took a photo and everything worked again.

    >> Contact trouble between lens and camera? If the contacts are
    >> at the bottom of the mount --- which is the top then --- and a
    >> slight give in the bayonet lets them get apart a bit ... a 70-200
    >> isn't the lightest lens.
    >>
    >> -Wolfgang
    >>

    >So your recommendation? buy a lighter lens?

    No need for that. If the lens is heavier than the camera body you
    should support the lens with your left hand.

    Now that people routinely AF and AE fewer people hold a (D)SLR and
    lens combination as they should. Even with a small prime lens, the
    left hand should support the lens as well as the camera body. With a
    longer, heavier lens, you might as well support the lens and consider
    the camera body almost as an accessory clipped to the rear of the
    lens.

    In the days of manual focus and manually controlled aperture, your
    left hand needed to be there anyway to control the aperture and
    focusing rings, and also the zoom ring in the case of a zoom or
    varifocal lens. But with auto modes plus control wheels on the camera
    body, you can do all that with the fingers of your right hand, so I
    have noticed a strong tendency for amateur DSLR users to hold the
    camera with right and left hands at opposite ends, just like they
    would hold a compact p&s.

    Having said all that, I doubt very much that the lens mount on the
    Nikon D300 body has any possibility of flexing even with a heavy lens.
    The D300 shares the professional build quality of all the Nikon
    prosumer DSLRs. The lens mount is very firmly attached to the rigid
    die-cast magnesium/aluminium alloy chassis of the camera body, so
    there is almost no chance that the lens to body mount could deflect to
    an extent sufficient enough to cause the electronic contacts to come
    apart.
    Bruce, Aug 12, 2012
  6. Rob <> wrote:
    > On 11/08/2012 7:23 AM, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
    >> Eric Stevens <> wrote:
    >>> There was I happily snapping away and every now and then I would lift
    >>> up the camera and examine the rear view screen to see how badly I had
    >>> been doing. Suddenly I found that pressing the view button produced no
    >>> effect. The screen remained black. It remained black when I pressed
    >>> the menu button also. Turning things on and off made no difference.
    >>> Neither did pressing the shutter button. Suddenly 'click - crunch',
    >>> the camera took a photo and everything worked again.

    >> Contact trouble between lens and camera? If the contacts are
    >> at the bottom of the mount --- which is the top then --- and a
    >> slight give in the bayonet lets them get apart a bit ... a 70-200
    >> isn't the lightest lens.

    > So your recommendation? buy a lighter lens?

    Clean the contacts.
    Do not bend the lens upwards (normal orientation) if that may
    be a problem.

    I had the trouble with a physically long lens and the 20D when
    the lens rested on something and I tilted the camera downwards.
    ERR 99. Repeatable. So I didn't do that any more and, presto,
    no more ERR 99.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Aug 16, 2012
  7. Bruce <> wrote:
    > Rob <> wrote:

    >>> Contact trouble between lens and camera? If the contacts are
    >>> at the bottom of the mount --- which is the top then --- and a
    >>> slight give in the bayonet lets them get apart a bit ... a 70-200
    >>> isn't the lightest lens.

    >>So your recommendation? buy a lighter lens?

    > No need for that. If the lens is heavier than the camera body you
    > should support the lens with your left hand.

    Even if you don't, any flex will press the contacts on the
    lower half of the bayonet together. But he used the camera
    upside down.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Aug 16, 2012
  8. Wolfgang Weisselberg

    otter Guest

    http://groups.google.com/group/rec....19d96896b78/7ef8b145d1278621#7ef8b145d1278621
    otter, Aug 16, 2012
  9. Wolfgang Weisselberg

    me Guest

    On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 16:53:27 +0100, Bruce <>
    wrote:

    >Having said all that, I doubt very much that the lens mount on the
    >Nikon D300 body has any possibility of flexing even with a heavy lens.
    >The D300 shares the professional build quality of all the Nikon
    >prosumer DSLRs. The lens mount is very firmly attached to the rigid
    >die-cast magnesium/aluminium alloy chassis of the camera body, so
    >there is almost no chance that the lens to body mount could deflect to
    >an extent sufficient enough to cause the electronic contacts to come
    >apart.

    Well I have direct explicit experience which tends to refute this POV.
    I've had the 1st generation 70-200mm f/2.8 VR since 2004 when I bought
    my D70. Moved on to a D200 and then D300. I have experienced contact
    issues between the lens and body which have gotten worse with time on
    all three bodies with the exact same lens. Explain that away.
    me, Aug 17, 2012
  10. Wolfgang Weisselberg

    Rob Guest

    On 17/08/2012 2:22 AM, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
    > Rob <> wrote:

    >>> Contact trouble between lens and camera? If the contacts are
    >>> at the bottom of the mount --- which is the top then --- and a
    >>> slight give in the bayonet lets them get apart a bit ... a 70-200
    >>> isn't the lightest lens.

    >> So your recommendation? buy a lighter lens?

    > Clean the contacts.
    > Do not bend the lens upwards (normal orientation) if that may
    > be a problem.
    >
    > I had the trouble with a physically long lens and the 20D when
    > the lens rested on something and I tilted the camera downwards.
    > ERR 99. Repeatable. So I didn't do that any more and, presto,
    > no more ERR 99.
    >
    > -Wolfgang

    With this problem the error messages do not relate to pins, but buffer
    full or card full etc.
    Rob, Aug 17, 2012
  11. Wolfgang Weisselberg, Aug 17, 2012
  12. Rob <> wrote:

    >> I had the trouble with a physically long lens and the 20D when
    >> the lens rested on something and I tilted the camera downwards.
    >> ERR 99. Repeatable. So I didn't do that any more and, presto,
    >> no more ERR 99.

    > With this problem the error messages do not relate to pins, but buffer
    > full or card full etc.

    Or a failed connection to the lens ...
    Buffer was empty and card had lots of space.

    Did you read the "Repeatable"? And the sentence after that?

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Aug 17, 2012
  13. Wolfgang Weisselberg

    me Guest

    On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 14:00:32 +1200, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    >You seem to be supporting Bruce's point. It's the lens that's the
    >problem, not the flexing of the camera body.

    I guess I explained it incorrectly. With each new body the problem
    went away. Over time coming back. That would seem to me to possibly
    indicate there was something going on with the bodies as well. I will
    agree that major issue is most likely the mounting plate on the lens.

    I should also mentions I've walked/hiked hundreds of miles over the
    year with the lens hanging down along my side with the original camera
    strap over one shoulder bandolier style. So the lens was hanging off
    the body.
    me, Aug 17, 2012