Re: D300 Problems - What went wrong?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by PeterN, Aug 10, 2012.

  1. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/10/2012 4:21 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
    > There was I taking photographs for the current [SI] (On the road) with
    > my camera mounted on the top of a monopod which I was holding upside
    > down so my 70-200 lens could take photographs just above ground level.
    > The camera too was upside down. I was triggering the camera through a
    > remote cable while holding the bottom of the monopod at about hip
    > level. The camera was resting on my foot with the lens steadied
    > against the lamp standard against which I too was leaning.
    >
    > The camera is a D300 with a near-new SanDisk 32GB Extreme CompactFlash
    > 60 MB/s memory card through which about one thousand photographs had
    > already passed. There were about 12 shots on it when I started my
    > expedition.
    >
    > There was I happily snapping away and every now and then I would lift
    > up the camera and examine the rear view screen to see how badly I had
    > been doing. Suddenly I found that pressing the view button produced no
    > effect. The screen remained black. It remained black when I pressed
    > the menu button also. Turning things on and off made no difference.
    > Neither did pressing the shutter button. Suddenly 'click - crunch',
    > the camera took a photo and everything worked again.
    >
    > This happened two or three more times and then I experienced a total
    > lockup which did not eventually come right. The section of the control
    > window on top which normally displays the number of exposures left
    > showed 'r9' which means that the buffer has room for 9 more exposures
    > with the current setup. While I was looking the camera went
    > 'click-crunch' again and the 'r9' changed to 'r8'. But still the
    > camera wouldn't work. At this point I removed the battery for a minute
    > and then reinserted it, but no change.
    >
    > As it happened I was only about a 100 yards from the very
    > knowledgeable Camera & Camera who had sold me the camera in the first
    > place so I took it into them. They scratched their collective head and
    > eventually decided there was a fault. At this point I decided to take
    > the camera home and carry out some research to try and get to the
    > bottom of the problem.
    >
    > I removed the 70-2-- lens and fitted my normal 16-85. The remote cable
    > was removed and the camera was packed in its bag. When I got home I
    > had lunch, then removed the camera from its case and found sweetness
    > and light had returned. There was no sign of any problem and the
    > camera seems to be working correctly.
    >
    > My question is, can anyone throw any light on what went wrong? I'm
    > inclined to suspect the memory card but I have no real basis for this.
    > What worries me is the possibility of it happening again.

    You are not alone. I have had the same issue at random, as have others:

    <http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00Xm9A>
    It seems Nikon is aware of the issue, but has no fix.

    --

    PeterN

    PeterN, Aug 10, 2012

  2. PeterN

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 09:42:54 +1200, Eric Stevens <>
    wrote:
    : On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 14:01:17 -0400, PeterN
    : <> wrote:
    :
    : >> My question is, can anyone throw any light on what went wrong? I'm
    : >> inclined to suspect the memory card but I have no real basis for this.
    : >> What worries me is the possibility of it happening again.
    : >>
    : >
    : >
    : >You are not alone. I have had the same issue at random, as have others:
    : >
    : ><http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00Xm9A>
    : >It seems Nikon is aware of the issue, but has no fix.
    : >
    :
    : My problem is slightly different. While it was misbehaving it wouldn't
    : even take photographs. The camera seemed totally unresponsive to the
    : operation of any control except the on/off switch.

    That's a common symptom while the camera drains its buffer into the card. But
    I sense that in your case the delay was too long for that to be the issue.
    Unless maybe the card wasn't making good contact (which I guess was one of
    your original suspicions).

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Aug 11, 2012