Re: D300 Problems - What went wrong?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by me, Aug 10, 2012.

  1. me

    me Guest

    On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 20:21:42 +1200, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    >There was I taking photographs for the current [SI] (On the road) with
    >my camera mounted on the top of a monopod which I was holding upside
    >down so my 70-200 lens could take photographs just above ground level.
    >The camera too was upside down. I was triggering the camera through a
    >remote cable while holding the bottom of the monopod at about hip
    >level. The camera was resting on my foot with the lens steadied
    >against the lamp standard against which I too was leaning.
    >
    >The camera is a D300 with a near-new SanDisk 32GB Extreme CompactFlash
    >60 MB/s memory card through which about one thousand photographs had
    >already passed. There were about 12 shots on it when I started my
    >expedition.
    >
    >There was I happily snapping away and every now and then I would lift
    >up the camera and examine the rear view screen to see how badly I had
    >been doing. Suddenly I found that pressing the view button produced no
    >effect. The screen remained black. It remained black when I pressed
    >the menu button also. Turning things on and off made no difference.
    >Neither did pressing the shutter button. Suddenly 'click - crunch',
    >the camera took a photo and everything worked again.
    >
    >This happened two or three more times and then I experienced a total
    >lockup which did not eventually come right. The section of the control
    >window on top which normally displays the number of exposures left
    >showed 'r9' which means that the buffer has room for 9 more exposures
    >with the current setup. While I was looking the camera went
    >'click-crunch' again and the 'r9' changed to 'r8'. But still the
    >camera wouldn't work. At this point I removed the battery for a minute
    >and then reinserted it, but no change.
    >
    >As it happened I was only about a 100 yards from the very
    >knowledgeable Camera & Camera who had sold me the camera in the first
    >place so I took it into them. They scratched their collective head and
    >eventually decided there was a fault. At this point I decided to take
    >the camera home and carry out some research to try and get to the
    >bottom of the problem.
    >
    >I removed the 70-2-- lens and fitted my normal 16-85. The remote cable
    >was removed and the camera was packed in its bag. When I got home I
    >had lunch, then removed the camera from its case and found sweetness
    >and light had returned. There was no sign of any problem and the
    >camera seems to be working correctly.
    >
    >My question is, can anyone throw any light on what went wrong? I'm
    >inclined to suspect the memory card but I have no real basis for this.
    >What worries me is the possibility of it happening again.

    How is the camera set to function if no card is installed? Try
    changing that if you think the card may an issue. If had somewhat
    similar issues of not taking photos as the mount on my 70-200 f.8 VR
    has aged and doesn't make sufficient contact at the electrical
    contact. Have you tried cleaning those on the camera and lens?
    me, Aug 10, 2012

  2. me

    me Guest

    On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 09:38:29 +1200, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    >That's a possibility. I'll try cleaning them as they haven't been much
    >used. The trouble is if the problem doesn't come back I won't know
    >whether or not I really fixed it and it was some other cause that went
    >away.

    Not a bad trouble to have! ;-)
    me, Aug 10, 2012

  3. me

    me Guest

    On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 05:20:12 -0400, me <> wrote:

    >How is the camera set to function if no card is installed? Try
    >changing that if you think the card may an issue. If had somewhat
    >similar issues of not taking photos as the mount on my 70-200 f.8 VR
    >has aged and doesn't make sufficient contact at the electrical
    >contact. Have you tried cleaning those on the camera and lens?

    Some further into in my case. Has happened with all my bodies
    (D70/D200 & D300) and got progressively worse as the lens and bodies
    got more wear. Appeared to get worse with the use of a TC. No issue
    with any other lens including a 200-400 f/4 VR. I've been meaning to
    send in the 70-200 to have the lens mount plate replaced as the
    200-400 has mostly relegated it to my bag. One other symptom in my
    case was either changing or loss of proper control of the aperture as
    indicated by the f-stop setting changing while the r-buffer number was
    displayed. Inputting upward force on the objective of the lens seemed
    to help some which to me indicated bad contact.
    me, Aug 11, 2012
  4. me

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 13:02:52 +1200, Eric Stevens <>
    wrote:
    : On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 17:40:12 -0400, me <> wrote:
    :
    : >On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 09:38:29 +1200, Eric Stevens
    : ><> wrote:
    : >
    : >
    : >>That's a possibility. I'll try cleaning them as they haven't been much
    : >>used. The trouble is if the problem doesn't come back I won't know
    : >>whether or not I really fixed it and it was some other cause that went
    : >>away.
    : >
    : >
    : >Not a bad trouble to have! ;-)
    :
    : Meantime I nibble my nails.

    Maybe the key point in your original post is that the camera was upside down,
    which might exaggerate any problems with the adjustment of the mirror. A
    binding mirror could certainly be the cause of a blank. (Just one more reason
    to look forward to professional-quality mirrorless cameras.) Have you run any
    follow-up tests with the camera in that position?

    Did you also say that the exposure counter actually counted more pictures than
    you took, even if you include the blanks? If so, that sounds more like an
    electrical problem.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Aug 11, 2012
  5. me

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 06:58:38 -0400, me <> wrote:
[...]

    And that you may have been letting the camera body assume too much of the
    weight of the lens.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Aug 11, 2012
  6. me

    me Guest

    On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 11:35:06 -0400, Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 06:58:38 -0400, me <> wrote:
    >: On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 05:20:12 -0400, me <> wrote:
    >:
    >: >How is the camera set to function if no card is installed? Try
    >: >changing that if you think the card may an issue. If had somewhat
    >: >similar issues of not taking photos as the mount on my 70-200 f.8 VR
    >: >has aged and doesn't make sufficient contact at the electrical
    >: >contact. Have you tried cleaning those on the camera and lens?
    >:
    >: Some further into in my case. Has happened with all my bodies
    >: (D70/D200 & D300) and got progressively worse as the lens and bodies
    >: got more wear. Appeared to get worse with the use of a TC. No issue
    >: with any other lens including a 200-400 f/4 VR. I've been meaning to
    >: send in the 70-200 to have the lens mount plate replaced as the
    >: 200-400 has mostly relegated it to my bag. One other symptom in my
    >: case was either changing or loss of proper control of the aperture as
    >: indicated by the f-stop setting changing while the r-buffer number was
    >: displayed. Inputting upward force on the objective of the lens seemed
    >: to help some which to me indicated bad contact.
    >
    >And that you may have been letting the camera body assume too much of the
    >weight of the lens.

    I pretty much have now carried the 200-400 f/4 the same way on the
    D300 with a TC-14 behind it for several years and have no issues with
    it. Put the 70-200 on it with or without the TC and the problems
    persist. As I said I believe the issue is with the mounting hardware
    of the 70-200.
    me, Aug 11, 2012