Re: D300 handheld: 1/4 sec !!!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Stewy, Apr 13, 2008.

  1. Stewy

    Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    "Focus" <> wrote:

    > "Allen" <> wrote in message
    > > Focus wrote:
    > >> http://atlantic-diesel.com/Church.jpg
    > >>

    > > Interesting church wall---looks like fired tile. Where is it?

    > It's in Portugal, I think it was around Obidos (see Google maps). These kind
    > of tiles are very popular here. They're all hand made and are like the
    > famous Dutch Delft Blue, but the Portuguese discovered it 2 centuries before
    > and often use more colors then just blue and white.
    >
    > You see them everywhere you go. Many cities and villages have their names
    > made of it. Like this one:
    > http://atlantic-diesel.com/DSC_0753_0794.jpg
    >
    > I left it in original size. Shot with the D40.
    >
    > It says: New Pinetree greets you (they have some funky names here, like "
    > Kill those Dogs", "From the two Brothers-in-Law").
    > The picture on the top reminds me of how the Portuguese really are: they
    > *will* make a road around a tree instead of cutting it down. Even if it
    > means it narrows the road to one lane. The same you see with old houses. I
    > think it's adorable and unique! Truly the best country I've ever seen...

    If you're interested in patterned tiles, try visiting your local mosque,
    or better still, Cairo or Istanbul or perhaps Grenada in Spain.

    Muslims are forbidden to depict people or animals within their church as
    this would be idolatry. The Catholics are somewhat less zealous.

    Stewy, Apr 13, 2008

  2. Stewy wrote:
    []
    > If you're interested in patterned tiles, try visiting your local
    > mosque, or better still, Cairo or Istanbul or perhaps Grenada in
    > Spain.

    ... or the cathedral in Palermo? May not be tiles, but highly decorated as
    I recall (from a long time back).

    David

    David J Taylor, Apr 13, 2008

  3. Stewy

    OldBoy Guest

    "Focus" <> wrote in message

    > "Stewy" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <>,
    >> "Focus" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Allen" <> wrote in message

    >>> It's in Portugal, I think it was around Obidos (see Google maps). These
    >>> kind
    >>> of tiles are very popular here. They're all hand made and are like the
    >>> famous Dutch Delft Blue, but the Portuguese discovered it 2 centuries
    >>> before
    >>> and often use more colors then just blue and white.
    >>>
    >>> You see them everywhere you go. Many cities and villages have their
    >>> names
    >>> made of it. Like this one:
    >>> http://atlantic-diesel.com/DSC_0753_0794.jpg
    >>>
    >>> I left it in original size. Shot with the D40.
    >>>
    >>> It says: New Pinetree greets you (they have some funky names here, like
    >>> "
    >>> Kill those Dogs", "From the two Brothers-in-Law").
    >>> The picture on the top reminds me of how the Portuguese really are: they
    >>> *will* make a road around a tree instead of cutting it down. Even if it
    >>> means it narrows the road to one lane. The same you see with old houses.
    >>> think it's adorable and unique! Truly the best country I've ever seen...

    >> If you're interested in patterned tiles, try visiting your local mosque,
    >> or better still, Cairo or Istanbul or perhaps Grenada in Spain.
    >>
    >> Muslims are forbidden to depict people or animals within their church as
    >> this would be idolatry. The Catholics are somewhat less zealous.

    > Considering the fact that Muslim religion is 500 years younger than
    > Christianity, they're stuck in the medieval times compared to
    > Christianity. They are doing now what Christians did 500 years ago:
    > convert people to their believe thru force.
    > To me they're all idiots...
    > Luckily there are not that many of them in Portugal, which is 99,99%
    > Catholic ;-)

    One dutchman is more than enough :)

    OldBoy, Apr 13, 2008
  4. Deep Reset wrote:
    > "Stewy" <> wrote in message

    []
    >> If you're interested in patterned tiles, try visiting your local
    >> mosque, or better still, Cairo or Istanbul or perhaps Grenada in
    >> Spain.

    > Last time I was there, Grenada was in the Caribbean.
    >
    > Deep

    Indeed:

    http://www.andalucia.com/cities/granada.htm

    David

    David J Taylor, Apr 13, 2008
  5. Stewy

    Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    "Deep Reset" <> wrote:

    > "Stewy" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <>,
    > > "Focus" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> "Allen" <> wrote in message

    > >> It's in Portugal, I think it was around Obidos (see Google maps). These
    > >> kind
    > >> of tiles are very popular here. They're all hand made and are like the
    > >> famous Dutch Delft Blue, but the Portuguese discovered it 2 centuries
    > >> before
    > >> and often use more colors then just blue and white.
    > >>
    > >> You see them everywhere you go. Many cities and villages have their names
    > >> made of it. Like this one:
    > >> http://atlantic-diesel.com/DSC_0753_0794.jpg
    > >>
    > >> I left it in original size. Shot with the D40.
    > >>
    > >> It says: New Pinetree greets you (they have some funky names here, like "
    > >> Kill those Dogs", "From the two Brothers-in-Law").
    > >> The picture on the top reminds me of how the Portuguese really are: they
    > >> *will* make a road around a tree instead of cutting it down. Even if it
    > >> means it narrows the road to one lane. The same you see with old houses.
    > >> think it's adorable and unique! Truly the best country I've ever seen...

    > > If you're interested in patterned tiles, try visiting your local mosque,
    > > or better still, Cairo or Istanbul or perhaps Grenada in Spain.

    > Last time I was there, Grenada was in the Caribbean.

    Musta been blow a heck of a long way off course...

    Stewy, Apr 19, 2008