Re: D3 vs D700

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ASAAR, Jan 4, 2009.

  1. ASAAR

    ASAAR Guest

    On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 21:56:06 -0800, Savageduck wrote:

    > One of the additional D3 features are the two CF slots and the variable
    > programing to feed data to twin CF cards; duplicate cards, serial data
    > writing, consecutive card fill etc.
    > Not essential for me, but something an actual "pro" could find useful.

    Another is that the D3 is a little better suited for Nikon's PC-E
    lenses than the D700 and other DSLRs. This is supposedly due to the
    lack of possible obstruction by built-in flashes. The D3 may also
    have much better battery life since it has no flash and uses higher
    capacity batteries. For those that like to use the MB-D10 on their
    D300s and D700s, even though it's a greatly improved battery grip,
    many don't like its somewhat flakey, hair trigger shutter button, so
    I guess the D3 scores here by default.

    ASAAR, Jan 4, 2009

  2. ASAAR

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 21:21:37 -0800, Duck dictated:

    > I use an MB-D10 with my D300 and have not experienced a flakey, hair
    > trigger shutter button. However I have read reports that the shutter
    > button can be activated by body contact when hung around one's neck. I
    > have developed the habit of keeping that button locked until needed for
    > vertical shots.

    Mine isn't quite hair trigger, but it's closer to that than the
    D300's shutter button. In addition to this quirk, last year there
    were a number of complaints about the D300 sometimes not responding
    to the MB-D10's controls. I haven't seen any of those complaints
    recently, so maybe Nikon made some changes. Yesterday there was a
    guy on DPR that said that he preferred the hair trigger so much that
    he sent his D300 (could have been a D700) back to have its shutter
    made as sensitive as the MB-D10. Different strokes . . .

    > As far as battery life goes, the D300 does very well on the standard
    > EN-EL3a, and when you add the MB-D10 and EN-EL4a it seems to
    > go on forever.

    You got the EN-EL4a now, did ya? I guess that if you ever again
    hear that D3/D700 FF siren call it might be for the D3, unless
    something else comes along that uses the EN-EL4a. Whatever, it's
    all good.

    ASAAR, Jan 4, 2009

  3. ASAAR

    Cynicor Guest

    Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2009-01-03 20:31:54 -0800, ASAAR <> said:
    >
    >> On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 21:56:06 -0800, Savageduck wrote:
    >>
    >>> One of the additional D3 features are the two CF slots and the
    >>> variable programing to feed data to twin CF cards; duplicate cards,
    >>> serial data writing, consecutive card fill etc.
    >>> Not essential for me, but something an actual "pro" could find useful.

    >> Another is that the D3 is a little better suited for Nikon's PC-E
    >> lenses than the D700 and other DSLRs. This is supposedly due to the
    >> lack of possible obstruction by built-in flashes. The D3 may also
    >> have much better battery life since it has no flash and uses higher
    >> capacity batteries. For those that like to use the MB-D10 on their
    >> D300s and D700s, even though it's a greatly improved battery grip,
    >> many don't like its somewhat flakey, hair trigger shutter button, so
    >> I guess the D3 scores here by default.

    > I use an MB-D10 with my D300 and have not experienced a flakey, hair
    > trigger shutter button. However I have read reports that the shutter
    > button can be activated by body contact when hung around one's neck. I
    > have developed the habit of keeping that button locked until needed for
    > vertical shots.
    >
    > As far as battery life goes, the D300 does very well on the standard
    > EN-EL3a, and when you add the MB-D10 and EN-EL4a it seems to go on forever.

    When I moved from the D200 to the D300, I actually could not believe how
    much better the battery usage was, on the same batteries. I feel like I
    can shoot 3 or 4x as long without a change, and I feel confident
    bringing just one spare with me for a day of casual shooting.

    Cynicor, Jan 4, 2009
  4. ASAAR

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 11:19:21 -0800, Savageduck wrote:

    > and if you need a lifeboat;
    > 8 AA(MB-D10): 1000 shots CIPA standard; 3000 shots Nikon standard

    Where did you find this information? I don't see it listed in the
    specifications section or in any other part of the MB-D10's manual.
    This is surprising since Nikon has provided battery performance data
    in its recent speedlight manuals (SBs 400, 600, 800 and 900).

    > The CIPA standard is measured at 23C/73.4F with 24-120mm AF-S VR; Live
    > view not used.
    >
    > The Nikon standard is measured at 20C/68F with 70-200mm f2.8 AF-S VR;
    > JPEG basic, size M; with shutter button held halfway for 3 seconds with
    > a full focus range cycle 3 times, 6 shots taken; the cycle is repeated
    > once the meters turn off.

    Unmentioned is that the CIPA standard has timing requirements,
    zooming lenses to their limits after each shot and other operations,
    but most significantly, firing the built-in flash at full power on
    alternating shots, which is the biggest factor that results in the
    CIPA numbers being so much lower than the Nikon standard numbers.

    I don't see why the EN-EL4a is only rated at 3,000 shots for the
    Nikon standard. It seems like it should be about double this amount
    based on the other figures. Was this a typo? (and thanks for the
    info.)

    ASAAR, Jan 4, 2009
  5. ASAAR

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 15:16:24 -0800, Savageduck wrote:

    >>> and if you need a lifeboat;
    >>> 8 AA(MB-D10): 1000 shots CIPA standard; 3000 shots Nikon standard

    >> Where did you find this information?

    > Page 414 of the D300 manual

    Ah, thanks. I guess that's the logical place for it. It's also
    on page 436 of the D700's manual.

    > You are correct. I made two typos, that's what you get for trying to
    > think too much on a Sunday morning, here is the correct info:
    >
    > EN-EL3e; 1000 shots CIPA standard; 3000 shots Nikon standard
    > 2 x EN-EL3e(MB-D10); 2000 shots CIPA standard; 6000 shots Nikon standard
    > EN-EL4a: 2000 shots CIPA standard; 5900 (not 3000) shots Nikon standard
    > EN-EL3e + EN-EL4a: 3000 shots CIPA standard; 8900 (not 5900) shots
    > Nikon standard
    >
    > Anyway the EN-EL3e is rated at 7.4V 1500m/Ah and the EN-EL4a at 11.1V 2500m/Ah.

    Ah, that's better. The D700 (as expected) requires more battery
    power than the D300, show by very similar numbers of shots per
    charge for EN-EL3a batteries when used in the camera, 1,000/3,000 vs
    1,000/2,500 for the D700. There's a greater difference when the
    MB-D10 is used, 1,000/3,000 vs 1,000/2,500 for the EN-EL3a in the
    MB-D10 with the D700, and 2,000/5,900 vs 1,900/4,300 for the EN-EL4a
    with the D700/MB-D10. There's a *much* greater difference with AA
    cells. Strangely, Nikon doesn't specify the type, alkaline,
    Oxyride, NiMH, etc., so I assume that they're common alkalines.
    Here the D300 gets 1,000/2,500 shots vs 700/1,000 shots per set of
    AAs for the D700. Based on the battery life data in the SB-900
    manual, Oxyride cells should provide better life than alkalines.
    With your EN-EL4a, you'll probably never be tempted to try using the
    AA battery tray. I may compare alkalines and Oxyrides this summer
    to see how many shots they'll be good for at the 8 frames/sec. rate.

    > Regards,
    > 'duck

    Same same!

    ASAAR, Jan 5, 2009
  6. ASAAR

    measekite Guest

    On Sat, 03 Jan 2009 23:31:54 -0500, ASAAR wrote:

    > On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 21:56:06 -0800, Savageduck wrote:
    >
    >> One of the additional D3 features are the two CF slots and the variable
    >> programing to feed data to twin CF cards; duplicate cards, serial data
    >> writing, consecutive card fill etc.
    >> Not essential for me, but something an actual "pro" could find useful.

    > Another is that the D3 is a little better suited for Nikon's PC-E
    > lenses than the D700 and other DSLRs. This is supposedly due to the
    > lack of possible obstruction by built-in flashes. The D3 may also

    One does not have to use the built in flash.

    > have much better battery life since it has no flash and uses higher
    > capacity batteries. For those that like to use the MB-D10 on their

    You do not have to use flash

    measekite, Jan 5, 2009