Re: Cursed computer

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Peter Huebner, Jun 12, 2008.

  1. In article <>,
    says...

    > I am getting the impression that integrated components are simply not
    > worth bothering with.

    put it this way: I stay well clear of integrated video unless
    the people for whom the machine is really have no use beyond
    wordprodessing, email and web browsing. And then only with
    trepidation.

    I've had my share of problems with onboard sound (nvidia
    soundstorm) great sound, if you can manage to get it going!
    Yet, that's one of the oldes technologies and really should be
    mature. Most boards use realtek, and the realtek driver should
    just get it going.
    I would suggest you probably have a driver problem, you should
    try a driver removal tool maybe, I would hazard a guess that,
    when you installed the new drivers, there were still remnants
    of the ones that gave the yellow exclamation mark, and that
    those remnants are stopping the new driver from working. But
    just in case, make sure all the cables are plugged into the
    right holes first! Embarrassing things can happen ...

    I also have little hesitation to use onboard network
    connections these days.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jun 12, 2008

  2. In article <>, Peter Huebner
    did write:

    > put it this way: I stay well clear of integrated video unless
    > the people for whom the machine is really have no use beyond
    > wordprodessing, email and web browsing. And then only with
    > trepidation.

    But all laptops have integrated video.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 13, 2008

  3. Peter Huebner

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Nighthawk" typed:
    > On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 23:21:33 +1200, Peter Huebner
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> says...
    >>>
    >>> I am getting the impression that integrated components are simply
    >>> not worth bothering with.
    >>>

    >> put it this way: I stay well clear of integrated video unless
    >> the people for whom the machine is really have no use beyond
    >> wordprodessing, email and web browsing. And then only with
    >> trepidation.
    >>
    >> I've had my share of problems with onboard sound (nvidia
    >> soundstorm) great sound, if you can manage to get it going!
    >> Yet, that's one of the oldes technologies and really should be
    >> mature. Most boards use realtek, and the realtek driver should
    >> just get it going.
    >> I would suggest you probably have a driver problem, you should
    >> try a driver removal tool maybe, I would hazard a guess that,
    >> when you installed the new drivers, there were still remnants
    >> of the ones that gave the yellow exclamation mark, and that
    >> those remnants are stopping the new driver from working. But
    >> just in case, make sure all the cables are plugged into the
    >> right holes first! Embarrassing things can happen ...
    >>

    > I did check the plugs, etc. The sound was going before I uninstalled
    > the integrated ATI video and driver using cat-uninstaller.exe. After
    > installing the new video card I noticed an unknown device in Device
    > Manager with the yellow mark against it. I reinstalled the sound
    > drivers from the motherboard driver CD, same as before. Perhaps I
    > will try uninstalling the soundcard in Device Manager and rebooting
    > it. It might reset itself.
    >
    > But, I would still welcome any comments on the soundcards I mentioned:
    > Genius Soundmaker Live 5.1 Value DVD PCI, Creative SoundBlaster 5.1
    > PCI, or a Creative Audigy SE SB0570 PCI, whether there are any to stay
    > away from at the cheap end.

    I can't really help you with the decision, I just want to say a couple
    things.

    a) I have no trouble with onboard sound on <looks around> 6 PCs in this
    room, ranging from a 440BX chipset to a P35 chipset. Sometimes you hit
    driver issues but they can usually be sorted.

    b) I know of quite a few people boycotting Creative for their policy of not
    releasing drivers for soome of their older products for Vista, then
    prosecuting people who reverse-engineer and make them available. Creative
    say that the consumer should be upgrading the hardware to match the software
    upgrade. IOW they are forcing obsolecence on people who are quite happy with
    the products they already have. Therefore I suggest the Genius product, or
    any non-Creative product.

    Good luck,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jun 13, 2008
  4. In article <>, Nighthawk did
    write:

    > It is stupid of them to support only the latest OS.
    > It would especially stupid if they dropped support for XP as there
    > will be many millions of people running that for years to come.

    Seriously--you don't expect them to spend money on things that aren't
    bringing in revenue, do you?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 13, 2008