Re: Curious - who uses Dropbox?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tony cooper, Feb 26, 2012.

  1. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 17:18:50 -0500, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    >I signed up to Dropbox quite a while ago but removed the App. I was
    >using Evernote instead.
    >
    >But for sharing files (including photos), Dropbox seems more practical
    >so I re-installed it and updated my account. Re-installed it on the phone.
    >
    >Do you use Dropbox?
    >
    >For what?
    >
    >(Note, Google's "Drive" will startup soon too ...)

    Just downloaded it tonight. Here's a test of some images I took last
    night.

    https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/2012-02-25-01.jpg?w=31b585df

    https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/2012-02-25-02.jpg?w=1dffcb38

    https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/2012-02-25-03.jpg?w=a8ddf76d
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Feb 26, 2012

  2. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 20:51:51 -0800, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2012-02-25 18:56:59 -0800, tony cooper <> said:
    >
    >> On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 17:18:50 -0500, Alan Browne
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I signed up to Dropbox quite a while ago but removed the App. I was
    >>> using Evernote instead.
    >>>
    >>> But for sharing files (including photos), Dropbox seems more practical
    >>> so I re-installed it and updated my account. Re-installed it on the phone.
    >>>
    >>> Do you use Dropbox?
    >>>
    >>> For what?
    >>>
    >>> (Note, Google's "Drive" will startup soon too ...)

    >> Just downloaded it tonight. Here's a test of some images I took last
    >> night.
    >>
    >> https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/2012-02-25-01.jpg?w=31b585df
    >>
    >> https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/2012-02-25-02.jpg?w=1dffcb38
    >>
    >> https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/2012-02-25-03.jpg?w=a8ddf76d

    >You need to check what you are doing when you get the file url, the
    >three you posted are not public share url's.

    What does that mean? Were you not able to open the links? What's the
    difference between a public and whatever the other is?

    >You need to right click on the file and then select "Copy Public link"
    >from the DB submenu, and paste it into your response, like so.
    >< http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Shared Images/_DSC1029_ADBW.jpg >

    Your link comes up as a 404.

    As far as my view on Dropbox, I only see one advantage: the size of
    the image as viewed by the file opener.

    Compared to, say, Photobucket, it's no easier to upload. Photobucket
    does auto re-size to their max and Dropbox allows a larger image.
    The ease of uploading, speed, etc all seems the same. I like
    Photobucket's interface because I can see a thumbnail of the image
    itself and not just the image name. To see the image in Dropbox, I
    have to go up to My Documents and open the folder.

    What am I missing about Dropbox that makes it any better than any
    other free source?

    While I use Photobucket sometimes, I normally use my SmugMug host. I
    do pay for that...$40 a year.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Feb 26, 2012

  3. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 23:00:02 -0800, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2012-02-25 22:09:52 -0800, tony cooper <> said:
    >
    >> On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 20:51:51 -0800, Savageduck
    >> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >>> You need to check what you are doing when you get the file url, the
    >>> three you posted are not public share url's.

    >> What does that mean? Were you not able to open the links? What's the
    >> difference between a public and whatever the other is?

    >No! I was not able to open the links. I got a 403 error for each of them.
    >>

    >>> You need to right click on the file and then select "Copy Public link"
    >>> from the DB submenu, and paste it into your response, like so.
    >>> < http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Shared Images/_DSC1029_ADBW.jpg >

    OK...let's try again. See if these can be opened. Especially the
    third one because I just re-pasted the second and changed the 02 to
    03.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/2012-02-25-01.jpg
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/2012-02-25-02.jpg
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/2012-02-25-03.jpg

    >> Your link comes up as a 404.

    >I know, I goofed so I posted this good one in my next post.

    Yeah, well, doing things the first time doesn't always work right. As
    with my effort.

    >> As far as my view on Dropbox, I only see one advantage: the size of
    >> the image as viewed by the file opener.
    >>
    >> Compared to, say, Photobucket, it's no easier to upload. Photobucket
    >> does auto re-size to their max and Dropbox allows a larger image.
    >> The ease of uploading, speed, etc all seems the same. I like
    >> Photobucket's interface because I can see a thumbnail of the image
    >> itself and not just the image name. To see the image in Dropbox, I
    >> have to go up to My Documents and open the folder.
    >>
    >> What am I missing about Dropbox that makes it any better than any
    >> other free source?

    >Nothing.

    There is an advantage, maybe, in being able to coordinate files from
    more than one computer, but I don't follow that since I use just one.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Feb 26, 2012
  4. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 05:56:10 -0800, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2012-02-26 05:24:42 -0800, tony cooper <> said:
    >

    >> OK...let's try again. See if these can be opened. Especially the
    >> third one because I just re-pasted the second and changed the 02 to
    >> 03.
    >> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/2012-02-25-01.jpg
    >> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/2012-02-25-02.jpg
    >> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/2012-02-25-03.jpg

    >All three worked just fine.

    >>> Nothing.

    >> There is an advantage, maybe, in being able to coordinate files from
    >> more than one computer, but I don't follow that since I use just one.

    >Sharing and/or coordinating specific files between several computers is
    >one purpose. Usually a desktop at work and/or at home, a laptop, and
    >for those who use them, tablets & smart phones.
    >
    >When on the road, it can be a way of backing up some, or all your image
    >files even if you are guest using a computer you might have access to.
    >By the same token, you would also have access to any files you have
    >maintained in your Dropbox folder.

    I'm trying to figure that point out. I have to move (by copying) my
    files to the dropbox folder to have access to them from another
    computer, right? Don't I have the same access to my files in my
    SmugMug account or my Photobucket account? If I have to move files to
    a folder and they are uploaded from that folder, then it's the same
    thing as uploading to any photo host with access by name/password.
    It's not like I have remote access to all computer files (which is
    possible) and files that have not been uploaded.

    >It is just another tool to be used in which ever way suits your
    >purposes. For you it might be a solution for a problem which does not
    >exist, but I am sure that in time you will find a need which could be
    >met by one of these 'cloud" services.

    I'm interested in a "better" system, but sometimes have trouble seeing
    something as any better than what I'm doing now.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Feb 26, 2012
  5. tony cooper

    nospam Guest

    In article <201202261407399530-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>, Savageduck

    > >> Have I misunderstood something - aren't these drives around the same
    > >> price or more than a laptop?

    > > which laptop fits in your pants pocket?

    > The Colorspace UDMA might be a bit chunky for pants pockets. Perhaps OK
    > for a cargo pocket on good cargo pants, but still quite a lump.
    > I have a multi-pocket Columbia vest which serves my purposes for
    > appropriate sized pockets, and is very much a "grab and go" piece of
    > auxiliary clothing. That is one of the pockets I would use if I needed
    > to carry it in other than my bag.

    based on the specs, 5.25" x 2.95" x 1", it should fit in most pants
    pockets. it's just long, so it might peek out a bit.

    nospam, Feb 26, 2012
  6. tony cooper

    Pete A Guest

    On 2012-02-26 21:59:57 +0000, Savageduck said:

    > On 2012-02-26 13:26:17 -0800, Pete A said:

    >>> Another reason my primary "on the road" back up is my Hyperdrive
    >>> Colorspace UDMA. Quick and simple. It does incremental back ups making
    >>> it efficient and fast. Best of all, a computer does not have to be
    >>> involved.
    >>> < http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive-COLORSPACE-UDMA-s/64.htm >

    >> Have I misunderstood something - aren't these drives around the same
    >> price or more than a laptop?

    > It is not there as a laptop replacement.
    >
    > I have a 250GB Colorspace UDMA which cost me $300 in 2009. It serves
    > its purpose as I can drop it in my bag, or a vest pocket and not be
    > burdened with a laptop for initial backups. Those I will make make at
    > the hotel, lodge, camp, car or home. I can upgrade the drive upward
    > from 250GB myself if the need ever arose. Power usage is miserly and I
    > am assured of being able to make at least one backup at even the most
    > remote of sites.
    >
    > There again I have all sorts of stuff which appeal to me and I seem to
    > find a use for, when others scratch their heads. ;-)

    D'oh! I'd totally lost the plot.

    Pete A, Feb 27, 2012