Re: CRT Monitor Distortion In The Uppermost Inch Of Display (only) ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by DemoDisk, Nov 13, 2005.

  1. DemoDisk

    DemoDisk Guest

    "Robert11" <> wrote in message
    > Hello:
    >
    > Have a Sony Trinitron CRT monitor.
    > About 7 yrs old now, I guess.
    > Really like it.
    >
    > All is fine with it, but over the last week or two
    > it shows a considerable amount of distortion in the upper inch or so
    > of the display. Only in this inch; rest is perfect.
    >
    > Colors are fine, but if you, e.g., look at text, it looks as if in the
    > horizontal
    > the letters are "stretched".
    >
    > Any thoughts on this ?
    >
    > Any of the monitor controls to try to correct this ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    Hi, Bob

    I Googled my own posts from last year to find this. I hope it helps.

    ==========

    DemoDisk
    Apr 8 2004, 1:58 am

    Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
    From: "DemoDisk"
    Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 02:57:39 -0500
    Subject: Hitachi SuperScan monitor displays odd "ribbon" across top of
    screen

    This is my first time posting here, and I hope this is the right place
    for
    this problem.

    An area about 2.5 cm at the top of my Win 98 desktop shows extra
    lines --
    white, gray, a few black -- just after starting. Icons in this area look
    stretched vertically and at the very top of the screen they look "folded
    back" on themselves. When I move the mouse pointer to its upward limit,
    before it stops it emerges again stretched and heading downward.

    The area spans the screen and used to shrink to about 4mm high after ten
    minutes or so. Lately I've noticed that it doesn't reduce as much (ie,
    problem getting worse?). If I shut the monitor off with Win98 running
    and
    then turn it on again, they're back.

    One odd thing is, the length of each successive line is a bit less than
    the
    one above it, so the ends of the "band" are angled inward. Also, the
    Win98
    splash screen doesn't show the lines during boot-up. Weird?

    I've been thinking maybe a reinforcing wire on the mask broke? Someone
    suggested a "broken sweep generator." I hope it's a software problem and
    not
    the monitor, but please tell me if you know what it is and what to do.
    Please help if you can. Thanks.

    Oh, and it's a Hitachi SuperScan Elite 751.

    JPM

    Jerry G.
    Apr 8 2004, 8:20 am

    Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
    From: "Jerry G." <> - Find messages by this author
    Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 09:59:18 -0400
    Subject: Re: Hitachi SuperScan monitor displays odd "ribbon" across top
    of screen

    Defective capacitors in the vertical amp section in the monitor are
    usually
    the normal cause of this. It is possible to have some semiconductor or
    other
    component failures to cause this, but not very often. If you continue
    use the monitor this way, there will be more damage, thus increasing the
    cost of the repair as usage goes on. Take the monitor to a service
    centre
    that is authorized to work on computer monitors. This type of repair
    should
    generally not be too expensive.

    After your monitor is properly serviced, it will work normally again.

    Jerry Greenberg
    =============
    DemoDisk, Nov 13, 2005

  2. DemoDisk

    Marc Guest

    "DemoDisk" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > From: "Jerry G." <> - Find messages by this author
    > Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 09:59:18 -0400
    > Subject: Re: Hitachi SuperScan monitor displays odd "ribbon" across top
    > of screen
    >

    > Defective capacitors in the vertical amp section in the monitor are
    > usually
    > the normal cause of this. It is possible to have some semiconductor or
    > other
    > component failures to cause this, but not very often. If you continue
    > use the monitor this way, there will be more damage, thus increasing the
    > cost of the repair as usage goes on. Take the monitor to a service
    > centre
    > that is authorized to work on computer monitors. This type of repair
    > should
    > generally not be too expensive.
    >
    > After your monitor is properly serviced, it will work normally again.

    Could this be a simple matter of something magnetic now placed near that
    corner like a speaker perhaps? Have you tried degaussing it too.

    Marc
    Marc, Nov 14, 2005

  3. DemoDisk

    DemoDisk Guest

    "Marc" <> wrote...

    > Could this be a simple matter of something magnetic now placed near

    that
    > corner like a speaker perhaps? Have you tried degaussing it too.
    >
    > Marc

    What Bob described sounded so much like my problem, I had to find my
    posts regarding it.

    Magnetic interference might create double images or screen shadows or
    moiré, but I doubt it would produce his specific conditions. Naturally,
    someone suggested the same thing back then, so I tested and got no
    improvement.

    Sadly, the place where I had that problem fixed (and they did) either
    left the degausser *out* or disconnected, plus where the Hitachi 751 had
    a small, permanent shadow, their "repair" left blue shadows all up the
    left side of the screen. Once deemed among the best 19" CRTs, my monitor
    is now useless for graphics. How's THAT for service?

    Oops, I'm venting. Sorry about that. Anyway, I got a Dell LCD to replace
    it.

    JPM
    DemoDisk, Nov 16, 2005