Re: Crossposting

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by why?, Apr 17, 2008.

  1. why?

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 16:26:29 +0100, Smirnoff wrote:

    >Using Windows Live Mail.
    >
    >I know crossposting is not that popular with usenet users (but not as
    >unpopular as multiposting).

    Often the Follow-Up is missed which makes it worse.

    >However, I would sometimes like to ask a question both in this group and
    >in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general.
    >
    >I cannot see 24hoursupport.helpdesk when searching in Microsoft
    >newsgroups but I can in BT newsgroups.

    That would be because Microsoft (server) carries only the MS groups. If
    you look closely you will see 1000's of groups you can't get from MS,
    that BT and others do carry.

    So it's assumed BT don't carry the MS groups as you can't see both?

    Use a paid for service or a freebie that carries both groups.

    >If I use the drop down menu in WLM to select a different news server, I
    >am told that the group already selected will be deleted.

    You can only post to 1 server at a time, maybe someone else knows
    different. On any 1 server you can xpost/multi to groups a server
    carries.

    >Have noticed a post in this group by johngood___ - "Can I wipe old Java
    >upgrades?", which appears to be crossposted to both the groups I'm

    That's because his NTL/Virgin Media server carries both groups.

    >interested in (or is it a multipost?).

    Multipost is posting to multiple groups but only 1 at a time.

    Crossposting is multiple groups at the same time.

    See his headers,
    Newsgroups:
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.os.windows-xp
    Subject: Can I wipe old Java upgrades?

    It's his ISP newserver, not BT or MS.

    >Anyway, is there a way to crosspost between two news servers?

    With a good Usenet app that allows it. Don't know of any.

    Me

    why?, Apr 17, 2008