Re: creating copy of an audio CD

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by richard, Nov 19, 2010.

  1. richard

    richard Guest

    On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 20:29:42 -0500, g wrote:

    > I want to create a copy of an audio CD(.mp3 and .wmv files) so that I
    > have more than one copy of the music files. I am running Windows Vista
    > Business 32bit edition and have Windows Media Player 9. I don't have
    > Nero and my HP xw4600 Workstation came with only a CD-writer instead of
    > a CD-reader and CD-writer.
    >
    > I estimate I would first need to convert the audio CD to digital audio
    > files(using a tool like FreeRip), create a playlist, autorun.inf file,
    > then copy the playlist, autorun.inf and digital audio files to the blank
    > CD using the CD writing process in Vista.
    >
    > 1. Is the above method of creating a copy of the original audio CD correct?
    >
    > 2. Is there a easier way to clone the audio CD into a ISO/or some image
    > file which later can be written to CD. I don't have Nero, but are there
    > any open source/freeware applications which can do that? I have a disc
    > for Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 Basic Edition.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Cd-writer means it can read and write.
    Practically all CD drives will do both anyway.
    For the disk itself though, you can use either CD-R or CD-RW.
    Just put the MP3's you want to copy into a folder. No need to change
    format. Then burn the folder to the disk. Don't burn one at a time then
    close the session. Just do the whole folder so you have the files intact as
    wanted.

    richard, Nov 19, 2010

  2. richard

    richard Guest

    On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 20:20:02 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 20:11:11 -0700, richard <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Cd-writer means it can read and write.
    >>Practically all CD drives will do both anyway.

    > Really?
    >
    > http://www.amazon.com/External-Slim...796U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290140104&sr=8-1
    >
    > http://www.amazon.com/External-CD-R...S7AC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1290140104&sr=8-2

    Supported Media Types: Support disk format:
    CD-ROM/XA?CD-DA?CD-I?Karaoke-CD?CD-Plus?Photo-CD?Video-CD?CD-Extra?CD-R?CD-RW

    > http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Optiarc-...UBNS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1290140104&sr=8-3
    >
    > Do I need to go on?

    Question for the expert. If a CD drive can be written to, can it also read?
    Any CD drive must be able to read. Note that I did say "MOST" CD's today
    can be written to. Specially those installed into a computer.

    >>For the disk itself though, you can use either CD-R or CD-RW.
    >>Just put the MP3's you want to copy into a folder. No need to change
    >>format. Then burn the folder to the disk. Don't burn one at a time then
    >>close the session. Just do the whole folder so you have the files intact as
    >>wanted.

    > ...Which may then not play on the OP's car stereo.
    >
    > Good advice, st00pid.

    Did I say it would? That is one thing the user will have to determine for
    themselves and deal with it accordingly.

    > I think everyone you've ever replied to should file a class action
    > lawsuit against you.

    Oh yeah right Mr. Matlock. Didn't see ya there at first.

    richard, Nov 19, 2010

  3. richard

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 19/11/2010 03:11, richard wrote:
    > On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 20:29:42 -0500, g wrote:
    >
    >> I want to create a copy of an audio CD(.mp3 and .wmv files) so that I
    >> have more than one copy of the music files. I am running Windows Vista
    >> Business 32bit edition and have Windows Media Player 9. I don't have
    >> Nero and my HP xw4600 Workstation came with only a CD-writer instead of
    >> a CD-reader and CD-writer.
    >>
    >> I estimate I would first need to convert the audio CD to digital audio
    >> files(using a tool like FreeRip), create a playlist, autorun.inf file,
    >> then copy the playlist, autorun.inf and digital audio files to the blank
    >> CD using the CD writing process in Vista.
    >>
    >> 1. Is the above method of creating a copy of the original audio CD correct?
    >>
    >> 2. Is there a easier way to clone the audio CD into a ISO/or some image
    >> file which later can be written to CD. I don't have Nero, but are there
    >> any open source/freeware applications which can do that? I have a disc
    >> for Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 Basic Edition.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    > Cd-writer means it can read and write.
    > Practically all CD drives will do both anyway.
    > For the disk itself though, you can use either CD-R or CD-RW.
    > Just put the MP3's you want to copy into a folder. No need to change
    > format. Then burn the folder to the disk. Don't burn one at a time then
    > close the session. Just do the whole folder so you have the files intact as
    > wanted.

    First read the subject of the message
    "creating copy of an audio CD"
    The OP wants to create a copy of CD. They do not ask how to burn some
    MP3s to a CD.

    The OP does go into some misguided idea that they need to convert the CD
    to MP3s which you seem to have latched on to but the simple fact is that
    they just need to copy a CD using the CD writer they have and have been
    given a link to some software which will do just that.

    As usual your "advice" is wrong and irrelevant.

    Desk Rabbit, Nov 21, 2010