Re: cpu temperature AMD Athlon 1600XP

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by jaster, Jul 16, 2003.

  1. jaster

    jaster Guest

    "Bryan Henderson" <> wrote in message
    > My computer sometimes does strange things like continuously repeating a
    > sound you get when you click on something. I have checked for a virus but

    it
    > isn't that and it doesn't do this all the time.
    >
    > I have noticed that the case is sometimes much hotter than usual due to

    the
    > hot weather we are having and wanted to know if there is any software for
    > monitoring cpu temperature in Win 98 or do I have to go into the BIOS to

    see
    > what the temp is?
    >
    > My cpu is an AMD Athlon 1600XP. What temperature range does this work at?
    >
    > TIA for any help.
    >

    > --
    > Radar: You're not supposed to be sleeping.
    > Hawkeye: I'm not sleeping Radar... I'm just inspecting the
    > insides of my eyelids....

    Depending upon your motherboard you may or may not be able to Motherboard
    Monitor 5, Aida32 or Sandra2003 to monitor temps. MBM5 is the best for
    temp monitoring. Some older motherboards don't have the right sensors for
    software monitoring and can only be monitored from the bios. Try MBM5 from
    http://mbm.livewiredev.com/ nothing to lose.
    jaster, Jul 16, 2003

  2. "jaster" <> wrote in message
    > "Bryan Henderson" <> wrote in message
    > > My computer sometimes does strange things like continuously repeating a
    > > sound you get when you click on something. I have checked for a virus

    but
    > it
    > > isn't that and it doesn't do this all the time.
    > >
    > > I have noticed that the case is sometimes much hotter than usual due to

    > the
    > > hot weather we are having and wanted to know if there is any software

    for
    > > monitoring cpu temperature in Win 98 or do I have to go into the BIOS to

    > see
    > > what the temp is?
    > >
    > > My cpu is an AMD Athlon 1600XP. What temperature range does this work

    at?

    > > TIA for any help.
    > >

    > > --
    > > Radar: You're not supposed to be sleeping.
    > > Hawkeye: I'm not sleeping Radar... I'm just inspecting the
    > > insides of my eyelids....
    > >

    > Depending upon your motherboard you may or may not be able to Motherboard
    > Monitor 5, Aida32 or Sandra2003 to monitor temps. MBM5 is the best for
    > temp monitoring. Some older motherboards don't have the right sensors for
    > software monitoring and can only be monitored from the bios. Try MBM5

    from
    > http://mbm.livewiredev.com/ nothing to lose.

    The motherboard is an Elite K7S5A ver 1.0 if that helps.
    Bryan Henderson, Jul 16, 2003

  3. jaster

    Guest Guest

    Motherboard monitor or Speedfan will work fine with this board.

    My Athlon 1600 is currently at 52 degrees with a Zalman Flower Cooler on
    silent mode & two exhaust fans
    I would get worried if it passes 64 degrees under load

    Pokey

    Guest, Jul 16, 2003
  4. "<>" <> wrote in message
    > Motherboard monitor or Speedfan will work fine with this board.
    >
    > My Athlon 1600 is currently at 52 degrees with a Zalman Flower Cooler on
    > silent mode & two exhaust fans
    > I would get worried if it passes 64 degrees under load
    >
    > Pokey

    I just went into DOS earlier today and it was at 64 degrees after being on
    for a couple of hours. I meant to say that I leave my computer on all the
    time during the day as it doubles as an answerphone system. Sometimes I am
    away from home for a week or more and both times recently the computer has
    had some sort of crash during the time I'm away so it isn't working when I
    get back.

    Currently the weather is very hot here so the temp will be much higher as a
    result. What do people do in places like Florida or are most computers in
    air conditioned rooms?

    Bryan Henderson, Jul 16, 2003
  5. jaster

    Easy Guest

    "<>" wrote:

    > Motherboard monitor or Speedfan will work fine with this board.
    >
    > My Athlon 1600 is currently at 52 degrees with a Zalman Flower Cooler on
    > silent mode & two exhaust fans
    > I would get worried if it passes 64 degrees under load
    >
    > Pokey
    >
    > "Bryan Henderson" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "jaster" <> wrote in message
    > > > "Bryan Henderson" <> wrote in message

    > > but
    > > > it

    > > > the

    > > for

    > > > see

    > > at?

    > > > Depending upon your motherboard you may or may not be able to

    > Motherboard
    > > > Monitor 5, Aida32 or Sandra2003 to monitor temps. MBM5 is the best for
    > > > temp monitoring. Some older motherboards don't have the right sensors

    > for
    > > > software monitoring and can only be monitored from the bios. Try MBM5

    > > from
    > > > http://mbm.livewiredev.com/ nothing to lose.
    > > >

    > > The motherboard is an Elite K7S5A ver 1.0 if that helps.

    I have the same MB and I use aida32 which works great. You can find it
    here.

    http://www.webattack.com/get/aida32.shtml

    HTH
    Easy
    Easy, Jul 16, 2003
  6. jaster

    Easy Guest

    Bryan Henderson wrote:

    > > > Motherboard

    > for

    > sensors
    > > > for

    > MBM5

    > > I have the same MB and I use aida32 which works great. You can find it
    > > here.
    > >
    > > http://www.webattack.com/get/aida32.shtml
    > >

    > I've downloaded that and it works fine. CPU temp is 65 degrees C (149 F)

    Isn't that a little on the high side? I was sitting at 50 degrees then
    I cut a hole in the side of the case opposite the CPU and put a fan
    blowing directly at the CPU fan and now my temp sit at 44-45.
    Easy, Jul 16, 2003
  7. jaster

    c Guest

    > "Easy" <> wrote in message

    the
    > best
    > > > for
    > > > sensors

    > Try
    > > > MBM5

    it

    > > > I've downloaded that and it works fine. CPU temp is 65 degrees C (149

    > F)
    > >

    > > Isn't that a little on the high side? I was sitting at 50 degrees then
    > > I cut a hole in the side of the case opposite the CPU and put a fan
    > > blowing directly at the CPU fan and now my temp sit at 44-45.

    > yes I'm sure it is too high it is now 66 degrees!!. which country are you

    in
    > and what is the temp? what CPU have you got?
    >
    > I have the side of the case off but I think I will have to buy a case fan
    > and see what effect that has.

    Bryan, you may also want to get some Arctic Silver thermal paste and redo
    your CPU heatsink. Clean all the old stuff off and apply the paste. Follow
    the instruction that will come with the paste. Don't let the computer store
    talk you into something else. Also, make sure there isn't dust in the fins
    of the heatsink. This will prevent the heat from getting out like it should.
    My guess is that your thermal pad on your heatsink isn't making contact like
    it should.

    Chris
    c, Jul 17, 2003
  8. jaster

    Easy Guest

    Bryan Henderson wrote:

    > "Easy" <> wrote in message

    > best
    > > > for
    > > > sensors

    > Try
    > > > MBM5

    > > > I've downloaded that and it works fine. CPU temp is 65 degrees C (149

    > F)
    > >

    > > Isn't that a little on the high side? I was sitting at 50 degrees then
    > > I cut a hole in the side of the case opposite the CPU and put a fan
    > > blowing directly at the CPU fan and now my temp sit at 44-45.

    > yes I'm sure it is too high it is now 66 degrees!!. which country are you in
    > and what is the temp? what CPU have you got?
    >
    > I have the side of the case off but I think I will have to buy a case fan
    > and see what effect that has.

    Am in the USA (Washington State). I have a Athlon XP 1800+. Also have
    a case fan in the front and a power supply with two fans. The temps
    that I gave are C.
    Easy, Jul 17, 2003
  9. "c" <> wrote in message

    > "Bryan Henderson" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Easy" <> wrote in message

    the

    > the
    > > best

    right

    > > Try

    find
    > it

    (149
    > > F)
    > > >

    > > > Isn't that a little on the high side? I was sitting at 50 degrees then
    > > > I cut a hole in the side of the case opposite the CPU and put a fan
    > > > blowing directly at the CPU fan and now my temp sit at 44-45.

    > > yes I'm sure it is too high it is now 66 degrees!!. which country are

    you
    > in
    > > and what is the temp? what CPU have you got?
    > >
    > > I have the side of the case off but I think I will have to buy a case

    fan
    > > and see what effect that has.
    > >

    > Bryan, you may also want to get some Arctic Silver thermal paste and redo
    > your CPU heatsink. Clean all the old stuff off and apply the paste. Follow
    > the instruction that will come with the paste. Don't let the computer

    store
    > talk you into something else. Also, make sure there isn't dust in the fins
    > of the heatsink. This will prevent the heat from getting out like it

    should.
    > My guess is that your thermal pad on your heatsink isn't making contact

    like
    > it should.

    I never used any paste before, I built this system over 18 months ago but
    this is the hottest weather since then. The heatsink is quite tightly on but
    maybe not tight enough.
    Bryan Henderson, Jul 17, 2003
  10. jaster

    Easy Guest

    Easy, Jul 17, 2003
  11. jaster

    Easy Guest

    Easy, Jul 17, 2003
  12. jaster

    Easy Guest

    Easy, Jul 17, 2003
  13. jaster

    c Guest

    > "c" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Bryan Henderson" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Easy" <> wrote in message

    > the

    is
    > > the
    > > > best

    > right

    bios.
    > > > Try

    > find
    > > it

    > (149
    > > > F)

    then

    > > > yes I'm sure it is too high it is now 66 degrees!!. which country are

    > you
    > > in
    > > > and what is the temp? what CPU have you got?
    > > >
    > > > I have the side of the case off but I think I will have to buy a case

    > fan
    > > > and see what effect that has.
    > > >

    > > Bryan, you may also want to get some Arctic Silver thermal paste and

    redo
    > > your CPU heatsink. Clean all the old stuff off and apply the paste.

    Follow
    > > the instruction that will come with the paste. Don't let the computer

    > store
    > > talk you into something else. Also, make sure there isn't dust in the

    fins
    > > of the heatsink. This will prevent the heat from getting out like it

    > should.
    > > My guess is that your thermal pad on your heatsink isn't making contact

    > like
    > > it should.
    > >

    > I never used any paste before, I built this system over 18 months ago but
    > this is the hottest weather since then. The heatsink is quite tightly on

    but
    > maybe not tight enough.

    It's not a matter of being tight. There can be small pockets where the
    heatsink isn't perfectly flat. Some people go so far as to lap the heatsink
    on a flat plate with an abrasive media to ensure perfect flatness. I'm sure
    this can't hurt, but I don't know of there is a big advantage either. I
    guess what I was getting at is that I have seen the pad that is preapplied
    on most heatsinks "erode" away over time. Also the Arctic Silver does
    transfer heat slightly better.

    Chris
    c, Jul 17, 2003
  14. "c" <> wrote in message

    > "Bryan Henderson" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "c" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Bryan Henderson" <> wrote in message

    inspecting
    > > the

    able

    > is
    > > > the

    > > right

    > bios.

    > > find
    > > > it

    > > (149

    > then

    fan

    are
    > > you
    > > > in

    case
    > > fan
    > > > >

    > > > Bryan, you may also want to get some Arctic Silver thermal paste and

    > redo
    > > > your CPU heatsink. Clean all the old stuff off and apply the paste.

    > Follow
    > > > the instruction that will come with the paste. Don't let the computer

    > > store
    > > > talk you into something else. Also, make sure there isn't dust in the

    > fins
    > > > of the heatsink. This will prevent the heat from getting out like it

    > > should.
    > > > My guess is that your thermal pad on your heatsink isn't making

    contact
    > > like
    > > > it should.
    > > >

    > > I never used any paste before, I built this system over 18 months ago

    but
    > > this is the hottest weather since then. The heatsink is quite tightly on

    > but
    > > maybe not tight enough.
    > >

    > It's not a matter of being tight. There can be small pockets where the
    > heatsink isn't perfectly flat. Some people go so far as to lap the

    heatsink
    > on a flat plate with an abrasive media to ensure perfect flatness. I'm

    sure
    > this can't hurt, but I don't know of there is a big advantage either. I
    > guess what I was getting at is that I have seen the pad that is preapplied
    > on most heatsinks "erode" away over time. Also the Arctic Silver does
    > transfer heat slightly better.

    thanks I'll try and get some in the next few days, anything to cool this
    sucker off...
    Bryan Henderson, Jul 17, 2003
  15. jaster

    Easy Guest

    Bryan Henderson wrote:

    > "Easy" <> wrote in message
    > > Bryan Henderson wrote:
    > > >
    > > > "Easy" <> wrote in message

    > the

    > the
    > > > best

    > right
    > > > Try

    > find it

    > (149
    > > > F)

    > > > yes I'm sure it is too high it is now 66 degrees!!. which country are

    > you in
    > > > and what is the temp? what CPU have you got?
    > > >
    > > > I have the side of the case off but I think I will have to buy a case

    > fan
    > > > and see what effect that has.

    > > Am in the USA (Washington State). I have a Athlon XP 1800+. Also have
    > > a case fan in the front and a power supply with two fans. The temps
    > > that I gave are C.

    > I have closed all progams that were running and the temp dropped to 59
    > degrees. I have a USB TV device that works most of the time which was
    > probably the main program running.
    >
    > What is the room temp where you are? Here it is 26 degrees C at 2:19 a.m.
    > which is incredible, we don't have air con in Scotland as we wouldn't use it
    > too many days in the year but could do with it this last week!!! Do you have
    > air con?

    Yes, I have A/C and it is on. The warmest that the room gets is 76
    degrees F. But do what Chris recommended plus add a fan. The heat sink
    really needs that paste.
    Easy
    Easy, Jul 17, 2003
  16. jaster

    JM Guest

    > Isn't that a little on the high side? I was sitting at 50 degrees then
    > I cut a hole in the side of the case opposite the CPU and put a fan
    > blowing directly at the CPU fan and now my temp sit at 44-45.

    I had a problem with heat in my computer. The case is one of those with 8
    drive bays, so it gets pretty tall, and its partitioned off on the inside
    between the motherboard and 5 drive bays. Anyway airflow sucked in the case
    and so I did something similar. I cut two holes in the case and mounted two
    case fans, one right infront of the processer and another one right under it
    where one of the processors on the graphics card would get really hot, I
    assume because it was the closer one to the CPU. Anyway, now it doesnt lock
    up. It used to lock up under full load after about a half hour or so.

    cool huh?
    I thought so. Im so inventive. Haha.
    JM, Jul 17, 2003
  17. jaster

    Easy Guest

    JM wrote:

    > > Isn't that a little on the high side? I was sitting at 50 degrees then
    > > I cut a hole in the side of the case opposite the CPU and put a fan
    > > blowing directly at the CPU fan and now my temp sit at 44-45.

    > I had a problem with heat in my computer. The case is one of those with 8
    > drive bays, so it gets pretty tall, and its partitioned off on the inside
    > between the motherboard and 5 drive bays. Anyway airflow sucked in the case
    > and so I did something similar. I cut two holes in the case and mounted two
    > case fans, one right infront of the processer and another one right under it
    > where one of the processors on the graphics card would get really hot, I
    > assume because it was the closer one to the CPU. Anyway, now it doesnt lock
    > up. It used to lock up under full load after about a half hour or so.
    >
    > cool huh?
    > I thought so. Im so inventive. Haha.

    Yep. that's what it takes sometimes. Cut holes and install fans.
    Sounds as though you came up with the right solution.
    Easy
    Easy, Jul 17, 2003
  18. jaster

    Easy Guest

    Easy, Jul 17, 2003
  19. jaster

    Thor Guest

    > I never used any paste before, I built this system over 18 months ago but
    > this is the hottest weather since then. The heatsink is quite tightly on

    but
    > maybe not tight enough.

    If as you say it is on "quite tightly" then you don't want it any tighter or
    you will risk damage to the CPU die, which is relatively easy to damage from
    too much pressure, or uneven pressure. You should use thermal paste.
    Virtually no commercially sold heatsinks are machined so well that thermal
    paste isn't of some benefit to use. You must have two *perfectly* flat,
    uniform mating surfaces to get away with not using thermal paste. Mass
    manufactured heatsinks virtually never fit into that category.
    Thor, Jul 17, 2003