Re: CPU question

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Paul, Mar 14, 2012.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Fredd Wright wrote:
    > I have what i hope is a simple question. I am looking to upgrade my
    > computer and am confused about the processor speeds. It used to be that GHZ
    > was all you needed to look at but i understand that's not the case anymore.
    > Can anyone tell me how these two chips compare and which is faster?
    >
    > 2.80GHz Pentium D, dual core, 1MB secondary memory cache, not hyper-threaded
    > 2.20GHz AMD Vision A6 APU, quad core, 4MB on die level 2.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Fredd

    There are two aspects to processor usage.

    "1. If a computer program only uses one core, which is the fastest
    processor when a single core is in use ?"

    "2. If a computer program uses all the cores at the same time,
    which processor can do a greater total amount of work ?"

    The second one can be answered with benchmarks. Without looking at
    the benchmark, my guess is the second processor is more than 2x
    greater than the first. For example, if I use Photoshop,
    Photoshop falls into class #2, so if I'm editing an image,
    I finish in less than half the time.

    *******

    I'm guessing your second processor, is one from this page. In the tables
    they offer, they have comparison pages, so I can pick out the model number
    that corresponds to 2.2GHz A6. Looks like A6-3620 matches.

    http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-A-Series A6-3650 AD3650WNZ43GX (AD3650WNGXBOX).html

    *******

    I'll try and pick out the Passmark benchmark, which is a class #2 benchmark.

    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

    Name bench rank
    Intel Pentium D 2.80GHz 741 848 NA NA
    AMD A6-3620 APU 3783 185 NA NA

    So while I guessed 2x as good at Photoshop, it's actually 5.1x. This
    is partially due to the Bulldozer core on the A6, which has something
    similar to hyperthreading. It can be like having 8 cores, but
    is dependent on the OS to schedule them. It should do no worse,
    than behaving like 4 cores.

    In the case of a program having a single thread of execution, the A6
    is still going to win. You take 2.2 and multiply it by at least 1.5
    and get equivalent speed of 3.3GHz. Plus, the A6 has turbo, so
    it's actually turbo of 2.5 * 1.5 = at least 3.75GHz equivalent to
    the Pentium D 2.8GHz.

    The A6 is anywhere from 1.33x to 5.1x faster than the Pentium D
    (1.33 being for class #1, 5.1 being for class #2). Only programs
    like Photoshop or the rendering phase of a video editor program (NLE),
    will scream on the A6, as class #2 programs. Microsoft Word, is
    going to be more like class #1. Modern versions of Microsoft
    Excel, have been promoted from class #1, to a half-assed class #2,
    so if you have the latest Excel, a spreadsheet recalc should
    "partially scream". If you have some forms of custom macros,
    Excel may be stuck as class #1.

    I could go over to hwbot.org and get benchmarks over there, but
    since most of the processors over there are overclocked, it's
    pretty hard to get benches with stock clock speed. Too bad really,
    because otherwise that site is a great resource. It's just a
    bear to search, and in some cases, I know going in, I won't
    be finding any benches for stock speed. So Passmark and a bit
    of "wet finger" arithmetic is all I can offer. The A6 wins.

    Paul
    Paul, Mar 14, 2012