Re: CPU nomenclature

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by why?, Sep 11, 2009.

  1. why?

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 22:55:43 -0400, wrote:

    >Looking at new computers and parts in case I decided to build my own. What is
    >the significance, if any, of the part of a CPU name which ID's as, for example
    >"Northfield" I saw that on an Intel Q9550 chip. I've seen other names too. Does
    >it matter? Does it refer to which plant they were made in? Thanks.

    Pre/Release project names. A bit of www.google.com finds

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_codenames
    Intel has historically named integrated circuit (IC) development
    projects after geographical names of towns, rivers or mountains near the
    location of the Intel facility responsible for the IC. Many of these are
    in the American West, particularly in the state of Oregon (where most of
    Intel's CPU projects are designed; see well-known project codenames).

    Bit of a running theme in your answers, en.wikipedia.org.

    Has this,
    Northwood CPU the second-generation Pentium 4 processor
    not Northfield.

    Me
    why?, Sep 11, 2009