Re: CPU nomenclature

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike Easter, Sep 11, 2009.

  1. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:
    > Looking at new computers and parts in case I decided to build my own.
    > What is the significance, if any, of the part of a CPU name which ID's
    > as, for example "Northfield" I saw that on an Intel Q9550 chip. I've
    > seen other names too. Does it matter? Does it refer to which plant

    they
    > were made in? Thanks.

    ITYM Ithinkyoumean 'Yorkfield' not 'Northfield'.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_2_microprocessors
    Quad-Core Desktop processors
    Core 2 Quad
    "Yorkfield" (45 nm)
    Core 2 Quad Q9550

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yorkfield_(microprocessor) Yorkfield is
    the code name for some Intel processors sold as Core 2 Quad and Xeon. In
    Intel's Tick-Tock cycle, the 2007/2008 "Tick" was the shrink of the Core
    microarchitecture to 45 nanometers as CPUID model 23. This replaced the
    Kentsfield processor with Yorkfield.... Yorkfield will be replaced by
    Nehalem based Lynnfield.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 11, 2009