Re: COTSE?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by starwars, Jun 27, 2003.

  1. starwars

    starwars Guest

    says...
    > nemo (nemo outis) wrote in
    >
    > > They won't protect you if you use the service to make death
    > > threats to George Bush - but for protecting your privacy they
    > > will do all that is possible under the law.

    > Interesting paradox:
    >
    > "They won't protect you if you use the service to make death
    > threats to George Bush - but for protecting your privacy they
    > will do all that is possible under the law."
    >
    > If they can't protect my information from the people I need protection

    from
    > the most, why would I care how SPAM free or whatever their email services
    > are...
    >

    > Uner the law it would be quite easy to protect a customers info from the
    > likes of the government. COTSE keep their access logs for a week after
    > access, much too long for a privacy sevice.
    >
    > And you all make out COTSE's $6 a month as "super low", It's, measly $18
    > saving on Anonymizers service.
    >
    > Then again, the two services are for different types of users...IMO it's
    > hard to beat Anonymizer if you're looking for ACTUAL privacy from

    everyone
    > including Big Brother. BUt if you just want privacy to get away from

    freaks
    > and the like I would say COTSE is better...

    If you think Anonymizer will protect you while you make threats against
    George Bush you are cracked. They can make all the claims they want
    about not knowing who does what, but they have to know, or they would
    not be able to stop abuse of their services because they would never
    know who's account to term. And we all know that if they could not do
    anything at all about abuse they'd become a pit of it fast. Tell you
    what, go make threats agaist him through anonymizer and watch how fast
    it gets addressed.

    They must also monitor to be able to ensure security. If they don't
    know what is happening, they cannot possibly tell if they have been
    compromised or not. Security is important, keeping the service free of
    abuse is important. How can that be done if you are completely blind as
    to what is happening and who is doing what? It's also the US and
    Anonymizer owns all their servers, you better believe they can track you
    regardless of any marketing claims they may make. At least Cotse is
    honest about it.

    Oh, I'm posting from cotse while chaining remailers. Cotse tends to
    advertise that they are a privacy shield and not an anonymous service.
    But you really can be easily and truly anonymous through them. I don't
    know why they don't advertise this more, it would seem to me you'd want
    to play up this.

    But, it all boils down to trust, I'm a long time cotse customer because
    they don't lie to me about the realities of things and I get a nice
    service to boot. To be honest, I'd use it even without the privacy side
    of it, there is no other service out there that offers the e-mail
    features they do.

    starwars, Jun 27, 2003