Re: Cotse, Tor, Router question.

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Questions, Jun 17, 2005.

  1. Questions

    Questions Guest

    Tom Giarmo <> wrote in

    >>> Have you ever considered keeping your fukken nose in your fukken ass
    >>> instead of in my business, AnonyMouse Coward?

    >> Sorry, must have hit a nerve. Keep trying. A GED is not rocket
    >> science. Take some remedial reading, writing and arithmetic. Oh,
    >> sorry for the big words. Remedial means go back and study the basics
    >> some more. The main thing to remember is that you do not have to
    >> continue to be the ignorant fool you are now.

    > Get a fukken life, Kid. Offline and away from your fukken parent's
    > house.

    Well, I Guess there isn't anyone around that can tell me what router
    hardware ports can be blocked.

    OK, Is there anyone here that can recommend a different group, that
    discusses security and privacy, and its posters don't act like a bunch of
    five year olds?

    lookin for answers

    Questions, Jun 17, 2005

  2. Questions

    nemo_outis Guest

    Questions <> wrote in news:42b2f6da$0$16236$bb4e3ad8
    @newscene.com:

    > Well, I Guess there isn't anyone around that can tell me what router
    > hardware ports can be blocked.
    >

    > OK, Is there anyone here that can recommend a different group, that
    > discusses security and privacy, and its posters don't act like a bunch of
    > five year olds?
    >

    > lookin for answers

    It is, of course, unfortunate that you have been exposed to abuse by the
    village idiot, Tom.

    However, you have been a little lazy about doing your own homework. The Tor
    manual page specifically tells you how to restrict Tor communications to
    ports 80 and 443 (default - you can choose others if you prefer) using the
    "FascistFirewall" and "FirewallPorts" settings (put them in torrc).

    http://tor.eff.org/tor-manual.html

    Good luck!

    nemo_outis, Jun 17, 2005

  3. Questions

    Tom Giarmo Guest

    On 17 Jun 2005 16:51:19 GMT, nemo_outis wrote:

    > It is, of course, unfortunate that you have been exposed to abuse by the
    > village idiot, Tom.

    Fukken you, nemo, you're still fukken pissed off because I shoved your shit
    back down your mouth.

    Tom Giarmo, Jun 22, 2005
  4. Tom Giarmo values your input! Please contact the Tom Giarmo customer service
    feedback hotline listed below. He is interested in your comments, particularly
    in the very early morning hours.

    Thomas Giarmo
    Albertson, NY 11507-2221
    (516) 747-4004

    Please call today! Tom is eagerly awaiting your (wake-up) call.

    George Orwell, Jun 23, 2005
  5. Questions

    Tom Giarmo Guest

    On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 08:53:39 +0200 (CEST), George Orwell wrote:

    > Tom Giarmo values your input! Please contact the Tom Giarmo customer service
    > feedback hotline listed below. He is interested in your comments, particularly
    > in the very early morning hours.
    >
    > Thomas Giarmo
    > Albertson, NY 11507-2221
    > (516) 747-4004
    >
    > Please call today! Tom is eagerly awaiting your (wake-up) call.

    Attaboy, FuckHead, you stupid Shit. Go for it.

    Post it a thousand fukken times, no calls, none zero, DickHead.

    Tom Giarmo, Jun 23, 2005
  6. Questions

    Questions Guest

    "nemo_outis" <> wrote in

    > Questions <> wrote in news:42b2f6da$0$16236$bb4e3ad8
    > @newscene.com:
    >

    >> Well, I Guess there isn't anyone around that can tell me what router
    >> hardware ports can be blocked.
    >>

    >> OK, Is there anyone here that can recommend a different group, that
    >> discusses security and privacy, and its posters don't act like a bunch
    >> of five year olds?
    >>

    >> lookin for answers

    > It is, of course, unfortunate that you have been exposed to abuse by the
    > village idiot, Tom.
    >
    > However, you have been a little lazy about doing your own homework. The
    > Tor manual page specifically tells you how to restrict Tor
    > communications to ports 80 and 443 (default - you can choose others if
    > you prefer) using the "FascistFirewall" and "FirewallPorts" settings
    > (put them in torrc).
    >
    > http://tor.eff.org/tor-manual.html
    >
    > Good luck!

    Thanks, but maybe I didn't ask the question the way I wanted.

    If I use a proxy & port forwarding with all traffic going through the
    proxy tunnel, can I close all ports on the router except the tunnel port,
    or are there ports I need to leave open too?

    Thanks

    Questions, Jun 27, 2005
  7. Questions

    nemo_outis Guest

    Questions <> wrote in

    > "nemo_outis" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Questions <> wrote in
    >> news:42b2f6da$0$16236$bb4e3ad8 @newscene.com:
    >>

    >>> Well, I Guess there isn't anyone around that can tell me what router
    >>> hardware ports can be blocked.
    >>>

    >>> OK, Is there anyone here that can recommend a different group, that
    >>> discusses security and privacy, and its posters don't act like a
    >>> bunch of five year olds?
    >>>

    >>> lookin for answers

    >> It is, of course, unfortunate that you have been exposed to abuse by
    >> the village idiot, Tom.
    >>
    >> However, you have been a little lazy about doing your own homework.
    >> The Tor manual page specifically tells you how to restrict Tor
    >> communications to ports 80 and 443 (default - you can choose others
    >> if you prefer) using the "FascistFirewall" and "FirewallPorts"
    >> settings (put them in torrc).
    >>
    >> http://tor.eff.org/tor-manual.html
    >>
    >> Good luck!

    > Thanks, but maybe I didn't ask the question the way I wanted.
    >
    > If I use a proxy & port forwarding with all traffic going through the
    > proxy tunnel, can I close all ports on the router except the tunnel
    > port, or are there ports I need to leave open too?
    >
    > Thanks

    As long as the router allows ports 80 and 443 through all will be well
    with (port-constrained) tor. IOW your router must allow the ports used
    by tor, but it is possible to specify and restrict those ports
    considerably.

    Regards,

    nemo_outis, Jun 27, 2005
  8. Questions

    [ Doc ] Guest

    Questions <> wrote in news:42c06f2d$0$16214$bb4e3ad8
    @newscene.com:

    > Thanks, but maybe I didn't ask the question the way I wanted.
    >
    > If I use a proxy & port forwarding with all traffic going through the
    > proxy tunnel, can I close all ports on the router except the tunnel port,
    > or are there ports I need to leave open too?

    You should be okay doing that unless your ISP requires something to be open
    for some odd reason.

    --
    http://www.cotse.net - The Internet's Full-Service Privacy Website
    *hugs* Google does NOT have my permission to archive my messages.

    [ Doc ], Jun 28, 2005
  9. Tom Giarmo wrote:
    >Post it a thousand fukken times

    Be patient. I'm working on it.

    Fukken George fukken Jefferson, Jul 2, 2005
  10. Questions

    Questions Guest

    "nemo_outis" <> wrote in news:Xns9682A0A4151Aabcxyzcom@
    127.0.0.1:

    > Questions <> wrote in
    >
    >> "nemo_outis" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Questions <> wrote in
    >>> news:42b2f6da$0$16236$bb4e3ad8 @newscene.com:

    >>> It is, of course, unfortunate that you have been exposed to abuse by
    >>> the village idiot, Tom.
    >>>
    >>> However, you have been a little lazy about doing your own homework.
    >>> The Tor manual page specifically tells you how to restrict Tor
    >>> communications to ports 80 and 443 (default - you can choose others
    >>> if you prefer) using the "FascistFirewall" and "FirewallPorts"
    >>> settings (put them in torrc).
    >>>
    >>> http://tor.eff.org/tor-manual.html
    >>>
    >>> Good luck!

    >> Thanks, but maybe I didn't ask the question the way I wanted.
    >>
    >> If I use a proxy & port forwarding with all traffic going through the
    >> proxy tunnel, can I close all ports on the router except the tunnel
    >> port, or are there ports I need to leave open too?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > As long as the router allows ports 80 and 443 through all will be well
    > with (port-constrained) tor. IOW your router must allow the ports used
    > by tor, but it is possible to specify and restrict those ports
    > considerably.
    >
    > Regards,

    Why port 80 if your using that through the tunnel? If port 80 is open then
    some other unknown apps or spyware might try and use it. The idea is to
    know what gets to communicate and stopping everything else.

    Questions, Jul 5, 2005
  11. Questions

    nemo_outis Guest

    Questions <> wrote in

    > "nemo_outis" <> wrote in news:Xns9682A0A4151Aabcxyzcom@
    > 127.0.0.1:
    >
    >> Questions <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> "nemo_outis" <> wrote in

    >>> Thanks, but maybe I didn't ask the question the way I wanted.
    >>>
    >>> If I use a proxy & port forwarding with all traffic going through
    >>> the proxy tunnel, can I close all ports on the router except the
    >>> tunnel port, or are there ports I need to leave open too?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    >> As long as the router allows ports 80 and 443 through all will be
    >> well with (port-constrained) tor. IOW your router must allow the
    >> ports used by tor, but it is possible to specify and restrict those
    >> ports considerably.
    >>
    >> Regards,

    > Why port 80 if your using that through the tunnel? If port 80 is open
    > then some other unknown apps or spyware might try and use it. The
    > idea is to know what gets to communicate and stopping everything else.

    I gave you the reader's digest version; the longer version follows:

    You should check the list of tor servers and see what input ports they
    support. You can then select any subset of ports supported by at least
    some Tor servers (commonly the "minimal set" is 80 & 443) and make sure
    both your software firewall and router will perrmit passage through these
    ports. If, however, you don't like 80 then check what other ports (some)
    Tor servers support.

    You can restrict the list of Tor input servers (first hop) to those which
    support your preferred ports by editing the Tor configuration file.

    Regards,

    nemo_outis, Jul 6, 2005
  12. Questions

    Nomen Nescio Guest

    Unless I'm missing something, none of the nodes will allow connections on
    80. They all take 9001 and a couple other odd ports.

    Nomen Nescio, Jul 7, 2005
  13. Questions

    nemo_outis Guest

    Nomen Nescio <> wrote in

    > Unless I'm missing something, none of the nodes will allow connections on
    > 80. They all take 9001 and a couple other odd ports.

    I haven't bothered checking what ports are supported by Tor servers for
    input. However, the principle remains the same: find at least some Tor
    servers which support one or more input ports you wish to use, configure
    Tor to only use them, and restrict your firewall and router to having only
    those ports open.

    Regards,

    nemo_outis, Jul 7, 2005

    Thomas J. Boschloo, Jul 7, 2005