Re: Corporate VOIP - Skype?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Chris Davies, May 15, 2009.

  1. Chris Davies

    Chris Davies Guest

    TheScullster <> wrote:
    > Can anyone direct me to links that can demystify this VOIP stuff and give
    > unbiased info on Skype or alternatives used in a corporate environment
    > please?

    If you use Skype you are at the mercy of whatever they decide to include
    in the software. (Their business plan, not yours.) If you go for a
    standards based solution that uses SIP or IAX you are not tied in to a
    single provider, and equipment will interoperate. Further, there are
    many different SIP based VoIP providers out there - mostly you get what
    you pay for (budget call charges but no customer service, right up to
    reasonable call charges with excellent customer service).

    I'm sure those with a commercial interest in your query will be along
    shortly - it would be worth speaking with them to see how your kit could
    interoperate. You should also talk to your existing PBX provider to see
    whether they have something that is SIP/IAX compliant.

    Chris

    Chris Davies, May 15, 2009