Re: Corel Photo-Paint vs/ Adobe Photo Shop

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Peter Jones, Sep 13, 2003.

  1. Peter Jones

    Peter Jones Guest

    One thing that I've really noticed in the past few months is
    scripting. Earlier versions of PhotoPaint (and perhaps the current
    one) support CorelScript and Visual Basic. This allows you to do a
    wide variety of things. I've written scripts that have large dialogs
    with a wide variety of controls, allowing me to try various settings
    of gamma, contrast masking, borders, titles, cropping, etc, and play
    around until it looks perfect. Doing that manually would take
    forever.

    I've written various scripts that make a border around an image and
    place the date and time. Others that take a loaded image, write it out
    with a computed file name and close it. That way I can scan an image
    and finish with a single double click.

    I've also written a small test script that takes an image, creates a
    thumbnail complete with drop shadow, writes out the new file, creates
    an html file with the thumbnail and hyperlink to the original image.
    The idea being that you could use a CorelScript dialog to select a
    group of pictures and automatically create an html page of thumbnails.

    You can also use CorelScript for renaming, moving files, etc. If you
    really wanted to, I'm sure you could even read the EXIF data from a
    JPEG file.

    CorelScript allows you to put 'smarts' into scripts, unlike PhotoShop
    actions which merely perform a sequence of commands. For example, you
    may have an action that creates a border on an image, but the image
    must be wider than it is tall. If not, you must rotate before you
    start the action. There is a download from Adobe that allows you to
    use JavaScript to write commands, but it is cumbersome in the extreme.
    CorelScript also has a full colour-coded text editor with debugging.
    PhotoShop? You're on your own.

    Example:

    // ==========Haze removal USM (PhotoShop script extension code)
    var id7 = charIDToTypeID( "UnsM" );
    var desc3 = new ActionDescriptor();
    var id8 = charIDToTypeID( "Amnt" );
    var id9 = charIDToTypeID( "#Prc" );
    desc3.putUnitDouble( id8, id9, hazeAmount );
    var id10 = charIDToTypeID( "Rds " );
    var id11 = charIDToTypeID( "#Pxl" );
    desc3.putUnitDouble( id10, id11, hazeRadius );
    var id12 = charIDToTypeID( "Thsh" );
    desc3.putInteger( id12, 0 );
    executeAction( id7, desc3, DialogModes.NO );

    // Compared with PhotoPaint 8 CorelScript:

    .EffectUnsharpMask hazeRadius, hazeAmount, 0

    Having said that, Adobe has a great site that shares actions created
    by various users.

    Now, if only someone would write a standalone application that would
    perform the equivalent of the 'dump action to text' command in
    PhotoShop, so the rest of us can use great actions! Or, give us the
    file format and we can write a PhotoShop action interpreter in
    CorelScript!! ;)

    Peter

    On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 13:07:43 -0400, "Bubba" <>
    wrote:

    >Is there anyone that is familiar enough with both programs, Corel and Adobe,
    >that could give an objective review of why Photo Shop is the preferred
    >program for digital photography? Or is it.....?
    >Thanks,
    >Bubba

    Digital Photography Reference
    http://members.shaw.ca/jonespm2/PJDigPhot.htm
    Touchup, an image viewing applet (also shows EXIF)
    http://members.shaw.ca/jonespm2/software.htm
    Health, happiness and healing
    http://www.SuperNaturalWoman.com

    Peter Jones, Sep 13, 2003