Re: Corel Photo-Paint vs/ Adobe Photo Shop

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by VT, Sep 12, 2003.

  1. VT

    VT Guest

    On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 13:07:43 -0400, "Bubba" <>
    wrote:

    >Is there anyone that is familiar enough with both programs, Corel and Adobe,
    >that could give an objective review of why Photo Shop is the preferred
    >program for digital photography? Or is it.....?

    Try this site:

    http://www.designer-info.com/

    comprehensive reviews and opinions on both PhotoShop (plus earlier
    versions) and Corel Draw (of which Photo-Paint is a subset).

    Current version reviews under Main Reviews,
    earlier versions under Archives.
    --
    Vincent
    remove CLOTHES for e-mail

    http://UnknownVincent.cjb.net/

    VT, Sep 12, 2003

  2. VT

    JunkMonkey Guest

    Re: Corel Photo-Paint vs/ Adobe Photo Shop (a tad long)

    "VT" <> wrote in message

    > Try this site:
    >
    > http://www.designer-info.com/
    >
    > comprehensive reviews and opinions on both PhotoShop (plus earlier
    > versions) and Corel Draw (of which Photo-Paint is a subset).
    >
    > Current version reviews under Main Reviews,
    > earlier versions under Archives.
    > --
    > Vincent
    > remove CLOTHES for e-mail
    >
    > http://UnknownVincent.cjb.net/

    PhotoPaint is NOT a subset of CorelDraw. PhotoPaint is a full featured
    traditional paint program (like Photoshop) while CorelDraw is probably the
    most powerful vector illustration program out there.(like Illustrator, but
    good). I know! "most powerful" is arguable, but there's no question it's
    PLENTY Powerful and the equal of anything else) They are both sold as part
    of the Corel Graphics Suite (CGS).

    I prefer PhotoPaint over everything else I've tried, and I've tried them all
    at one time or another.

    It has the best user interface (UI) of any PhotoEditor I've found. And it
    is totally configurable to work however you want it. I always found the
    Photoshop UI a little obtuse. Nothing was ever where I though it should be.
    From what I've read in reviews, almost everyone recognizes the Corel UI as
    superior.

    You've probably heard the statement that "Jasc PaintShopPro does 90% of
    what PhotoShop does but at one third the price"? Well you never hear that
    about Corel PhotoPaint because it does 100% of what PhotoShop does.
    Extensive color management, levels, Curves, you name it. It even has a
    twist on Layers that Corel calls Objects". I have found the Corel
    selection tools MUCH easier to use than PhotoShop's.

    True, the absolute most current version of CGS is around $500 (Version 11).
    But for that amount, you get PhotoPaint, CorelDraw, BitStream font
    navigator, Texture, Texture capture, Capture CorelScript, AND Microsoft
    Visual Basic for Apps (VBA). My version - 9 also comes with a copy of Canto
    Cumulus. Compare the cost of equivalent Adobe products.

    But there are two other ways to get the power of CGS. The first is to buy
    Corel Essentials (About $70-$80 USD), this is a current product, aimed at
    the amateur, it is just CorelDraw9 and PhotoPaint9 and I have heard that the
    scripting and color management has been deleted from it. but I have never
    used it, so I don't know that for sure. The other way is to buy a legal
    copy of version 9 in the OEM form. You can buy it from
    www.softwareoutlet.com for around $50 US. It is registerable and
    upgradable. The only thing missing from it is the clipart and the Microsoft
    VBA. this is an incredible bargain. (It does 100% of what Photoshop does at
    UHMMM. . . roughly 1/5 the price)

    As to why Adobe is the Lead Dog and Corel's view of the Lead Dog never
    changes, I think it is the incredible arrogance and dumb decision making on
    the part of Corel's leadership. I have heard that Corel refuses to make its
    record layout's available to third party developers. Practically ALL
    photo/media organizers can read native Adobe file formats. The only
    organizer I know of that reads Corel is Canto Cumulus. If this is true,
    then it's just stupid. You can't rely on just the quality of your product,
    you've got to have a vision and a plan. Corel doesn't appear to have that
    vision or plan, and that is why you can buy V9 for $50 US and Corel is (or
    was) looking for a partner.

    JunkMonkey, Sep 12, 2003

  3. VT

    VT Guest

    Re: Corel Photo-Paint vs/ Adobe Photo Shop (a tad long)

    On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 22:34:45 GMT, "JunkMonkey"
    <> wrote:

    >PhotoPaint is NOT a subset of CorelDraw. PhotoPaint is a full featured
    >traditional paint program (like Photoshop) while CorelDraw is probably the
    >most powerful vector illustration program out there.(like Illustrator, but
    >good). I know! "most powerful" is arguable, but there's no question it's
    >PLENTY Powerful and the equal of anything else) They are both sold as part
    >of the Corel Graphics Suite (CGS).

    Thank you for the clarification - perhaps I have misunderstood the
    reviews, they seem to imply Photo-Paint is part of Corel DRAW?

    http://www.designer-info.com/Writing/corel_draw_11.htm
    QUOTE:
    Corel Draw 11
    Enhancements to R.A.V.E and PHOTO-PAINT, but disappointingly little
    new power for the DRAW user.
    UNQUOTE

    http://www.designer-info.com/Writing/corel_draw_10.htm
    QUOTE:
    Corel Photo-Paint 10
    It’s sometimes easy to forget that the Draw suite doesn’t only include
    the vector-based Draw module, it also includes the bitmap-based
    Photo-Paint.
    UNQUOTE

    http://www.designer-info.com/Writing/corel_draw_9.htm
    QUOTE:
    The Rest of the Suite
    Since the high-water mark of Draw 5, Corel has been gradually cutting
    down the applications bundled in the Draw suite. Chart, Move, Show and
    Depth have all been dropped and now in Draw 9, Corel has finally put
    Dream3D out of its misery. The suite is now completely focused on Draw
    and Photo-Paint,
    UNQUOTE

    http://www.designer-info.com/Writing/corel_photopaint_8.htm
    QUOTE:
    In the past it's always been difficult to like Photo-Paint, the
    bitmap-editing module in the Draw suite.
    UNQUOTE

    VT, Sep 13, 2003
  4. Re: Corel Photo-Paint vs/ Adobe Photo Shop (a tad long)

    > Thank you for the clarification - perhaps I have misunderstood the
    > reviews, they seem to imply Photo-Paint is part of Corel DRAW?

    It's difficult to buy CorelDraw *without* PhotoPaint, but the two are, in
    fact, entirely separate applications. You invoke each separately, and
    there's actually not as much crossover between them as I'd like.

    Rest assured Corel PhotoPaint is a very powerful program, and I much prefer
    it to PhotoShop. However, this could be one of those your-mileage-may-vary
    things and simply reflect the fact that I've grown up with various versions
    of PhotoPaint over the years. My guess is that I could do very well with
    either one (I actually do own a current copy of PhotoShop, but have found
    very little need to use it).

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    Mike Jacoubowsky, Sep 13, 2003
  5. VT

    JunkMonkey Guest

    Re: Corel Photo-Paint vs/ Adobe Photo Shop (a tad long)

    Absolutely! There is no such thing as the "Best" photo editor. They all
    have their strengths and weaknesses. Just as there is no "best" screwdriver
    they are tools to be used when appropriate.

    As far as the confusion as to the differences between CorelDraw and
    PhotoPaint, I think a lot of it comes from the abysmal quality of the
    reviewers the photomagazines assign to review Photoeditors.

    Take the recent review in eDigitalPhoto, for instance. While the review was
    quite favorable and complimentary, It was obvious the reviewer new nothing
    about Corel PhotoPaint, what the new features were, or what Corel was
    touting as significant. The review consisted entirely of how well Corel
    can write a PSD file and can use Photoshop type plugins (Corel actually
    produces some of the most popular plug-ins - i.e. Knockout, Kai's Power
    tools, etc)

    JunkMonkey, Sep 13, 2003
  6. Re: Corel Photo-Paint vs/ Adobe Photo Shop (a tad long)

    VT <> writes:

    > On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 22:34:45 GMT, "JunkMonkey"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >PhotoPaint is NOT a subset of CorelDraw. PhotoPaint is a full featured
    > >traditional paint program (like Photoshop) while CorelDraw is probably the
    > >most powerful vector illustration program out there.(like Illustrator, but
    > >good). I know! "most powerful" is arguable, but there's no question it's
    > >PLENTY Powerful and the equal of anything else) They are both sold as part
    > >of the Corel Graphics Suite (CGS).

    > Thank you for the clarification - perhaps I have misunderstood the
    > reviews, they seem to imply Photo-Paint is part of Corel DRAW?

    Corel packages their software in many bundles.

    The "Draw" package is mostly sold these days as part of the "CorelDraw
    Graphics Suite", which includes pretty much everything (and in
    particular includes Draw and Paint). That's the top-end expensive
    package.

    They also sell packages containing older versions, at lower prices.

    It's all very strange and confusing, and not like anybody else, and
    probably contributes to their not being taken very seriously in the
    market.

    I've had many versions of the Corel package, starting with V3 (which
    didn't yet have PhotoPaint), and I've currently got V11, the latest.
    I started doing digital photo work with PhotoPaint because I had it,
    but I eventually switched to Photoshop and haven't really touched
    PhotoPaint since then.
    --
    David Dyer-Bennet, <>, <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>

    David Dyer-Bennet, Sep 13, 2003
  7. VT

    Peter Jones Guest

    Re: Corel Photo-Paint vs/ Adobe Photo Shop (a tad long)

    Just an observation, but I suspect that if you had written many
    scripts for PhotoPaint, you would have been less likely to leave
    PhotoPaint completely behind.

    Peter

    On 13 Sep 2003 13:26:01 -0500, David Dyer-Bennet <>
    wrote:

    >VT <> writes:
    >Corel packages their software in many bundles.
    >
    >The "Draw" package is mostly sold these days as part of the "CorelDraw
    >Graphics Suite", which includes pretty much everything (and in
    >particular includes Draw and Paint). That's the top-end expensive
    >package.
    >
    >They also sell packages containing older versions, at lower prices.
    >
    >It's all very strange and confusing, and not like anybody else, and
    >probably contributes to their not being taken very seriously in the
    >market.
    >
    >I've had many versions of the Corel package, starting with V3 (which
    >didn't yet have PhotoPaint), and I've currently got V11, the latest.
    >I started doing digital photo work with PhotoPaint because I had it,
    >but I eventually switched to Photoshop and haven't really touched
    >PhotoPaint since then.

    Digital Photography Reference
    http://members.shaw.ca/jonespm2/PJDigPhot.htm
    Touchup, an image viewing applet (also shows EXIF)
    http://members.shaw.ca/jonespm2/software.htm
    Health, happiness and healing
    http://www.SuperNaturalWoman.com

    Peter Jones, Sep 14, 2003
  8. VT

    VT Guest

    Re: Corel Photo-Paint vs/ Adobe Photo Shop (a tad long)

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 05:55:52 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
    <> wrote:

    >It's difficult to buy CorelDraw *without* PhotoPaint, but the two are, in
    >fact, entirely separate applications. You invoke each separately, and
    >there's actually not as much crossover between them as I'd like.

    Thanks for your patient explanations -

    I think perhaps the "confusion" comes from Corel themselves.

    The Graphics Suite is actually sold and advertized as _CorelDRAW_
    Graphics Suite - within which there is a CorelDRAW program/module.

    Photo-Paint is also currently avialable (as pointed out) as a
    program/module within CorelDRAW Essentials.

    and I think previous versions of the suite used to be sold as just
    "CorelDRAW" - as the past reviews seem to imply - within which there
    was a CorelDRAW module/program.

    So when someone talks of "CorelDRAW" -
    are they talking about the Suite, Essentials or CorelDRAW the module,
    or a previous version of the "Suite"?

    VT, Sep 14, 2003
  9. Re: Corel Photo-Paint vs/ Adobe Photo Shop (a tad long)

    [top-posting fixed]

    Peter Jones <> writes:

    > On 13 Sep 2003 13:26:01 -0500, David Dyer-Bennet <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >VT <> writes:
    > >Corel packages their software in many bundles.
    > >
    > >The "Draw" package is mostly sold these days as part of the "CorelDraw
    > >Graphics Suite", which includes pretty much everything (and in
    > >particular includes Draw and Paint). That's the top-end expensive
    > >package.
    > >
    > >They also sell packages containing older versions, at lower prices.
    > >
    > >It's all very strange and confusing, and not like anybody else, and
    > >probably contributes to their not being taken very seriously in the
    > >market.
    > >
    > >I've had many versions of the Corel package, starting with V3 (which
    > >didn't yet have PhotoPaint), and I've currently got V11, the latest.
    > >I started doing digital photo work with PhotoPaint because I had it,
    > >but I eventually switched to Photoshop and haven't really touched
    > >PhotoPaint since then.

    > Just an observation, but I suspect that if you had written many
    > scripts for PhotoPaint, you would have been less likely to leave
    > PhotoPaint completely behind.

    This is entirely possible. I don't find scripts terribly useful; I
    always want to tweak photos individually.
    --
    David Dyer-Bennet, <>, <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>

    David Dyer-Bennet, Sep 14, 2003
  10. VT

    Peter Jones Guest

    Re: Corel Photo-Paint vs/ Adobe Photo Shop (a tad long)

    On 14 Sep 2003 13:08:32 -0500, David Dyer-Bennet <>
    wrote:

    >[top-posting fixed]
    >
    >Peter Jones <> writes:
    >
    >> On 13 Sep 2003 13:26:01 -0500, David Dyer-Bennet <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >VT <> writes:
    >> >Corel packages their software in many bundles.
    >> >
    >> >The "Draw" package is mostly sold these days as part of the "CorelDraw
    >> >Graphics Suite", which includes pretty much everything (and in
    >> >particular includes Draw and Paint). That's the top-end expensive
    >> >package.
    >> >
    >> >They also sell packages containing older versions, at lower prices.
    >> >
    >> >It's all very strange and confusing, and not like anybody else, and
    >> >probably contributes to their not being taken very seriously in the
    >> >market.
    >> >
    >> >I've had many versions of the Corel package, starting with V3 (which
    >> >didn't yet have PhotoPaint), and I've currently got V11, the latest.
    >> >I started doing digital photo work with PhotoPaint because I had it,
    >> >but I eventually switched to Photoshop and haven't really touched
    >> >PhotoPaint since then.

    >> Just an observation, but I suspect that if you had written many
    >> scripts for PhotoPaint, you would have been less likely to leave
    >> PhotoPaint completely behind.

    >This is entirely possible. I don't find scripts terribly useful; I
    >always want to tweak photos individually.

    That's exactly why I wrote a script to tweak my photos. This single
    dialog has gamma settings, equalization, USM, local contrast
    enhancement, sizing, 6x4 cropping, copyright and title text, borders,
    etc, all with full preview. I can just keep changing the settings and
    see the overall effect. Doing things manually, you can only adjust
    one kind of things at a time, eg: sharpening, or gamma. It's time
    consuming to change a variety of setting and undo what you've done
    before to try a different setting. However, if you love playing
    around in Curves, scripts may not be the best way.

    Peter

    Peter Jones, Sep 15, 2003
  11. Re: Corel Photo-Paint vs/ Adobe Photo Shop (a tad long)

    Peter Jones <> writes:

    > On 14 Sep 2003 13:08:32 -0500, David Dyer-Bennet <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >[top-posting fixed]
    > >
    > >Peter Jones <> writes:

    > >> Just an observation, but I suspect that if you had written many
    > >> scripts for PhotoPaint, you would have been less likely to leave
    > >> PhotoPaint completely behind.

    > >This is entirely possible. I don't find scripts terribly useful; I
    > >always want to tweak photos individually.

    > That's exactly why I wrote a script to tweak my photos. This single
    > dialog has gamma settings, equalization, USM, local contrast
    > enhancement, sizing, 6x4 cropping, copyright and title text, borders,
    > etc, all with full preview. I can just keep changing the settings and
    > see the overall effect. Doing things manually, you can only adjust
    > one kind of things at a time, eg: sharpening, or gamma. It's time
    > consuming to change a variety of setting and undo what you've done
    > before to try a different setting. However, if you love playing
    > around in Curves, scripts may not be the best way.

    And I'm definitely a curves guy. Curves are the single most valuable
    tool in a photo manipulation program. For the rest, I try to avoid
    corrupting the original bits (lossless editing), which makes it easier
    to try other approaches.
    --
    David Dyer-Bennet, <>, <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>

    David Dyer-Bennet, Sep 16, 2003
  12. VT

    mfa Guest

    Re: Corel Photo-Paint

    Yes, the CorelDRAW! 3.0 package included PhotoPaint. I started in 1991
    with Corel 2.01L, which did not have PhotoPaint. I have had versions
    2.01L, 3.0, 4.0, 5.0, and 7.0. I stopped buying at 7.0 in 1997. It
    still meets my needs today, running just fine on Windows 2000. I have
    kept all of the old CDs for the clipart and the fonts.

    mfa, Sep 19, 2003
  13. VT

    Sexy Susan Guest

    Re: Corel Photo-Paint

    I hate cheap assholes like you. There is no substitute for Photoshop
    7. Lick the crack of my unwiped asshole after a wet shit.

    Sexy Susan, Sep 21, 2003