Re: Corel Photo-Paint vs/ Adobe Photo Shop

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bill Hilton, Sep 12, 2003.

  1. Bill Hilton

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: Roland Karlsson

    >Neither elements nor PS is really appropriate for editing
    >photos taken with high quality cameras. 24 bit color is
    >not really enough for this.

    Photoshop has 48 bit support for all the key color correction tools.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Sep 12, 2003

  2. dy (Bill Hilton) wrote in

    > Photoshop has 48 bit support for all the key color correction tools.

    But not for layers I think.
    And almost no plugins and filters.

    Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Sep 12, 2003

  3. Bill Hilton

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >>>From: Roland Karlsson
    >>>
    >>>Neither elements nor PS is really appropriate for editing
    >>>photos taken with high quality cameras. 24 bit color is
    >>>not really enough for this.

    >> (Bill Hilton) wrote
    >>
    >> Photoshop has 48 bit support for all the key color correction tools.

    >From: Roland Karlsson
    >
    >But not for layers I think.

    Layers are wonderful, but they aren't color correction tools. You're right in
    that Photoshop doesn't support Layers (or, more important, Adjustment Layers)
    in 16 bit mode, but that in no way means it's therefore not "appropriate for
    editing photos".

    Almost every pro photographer I know of who's shooting digital or working with
    film scans uses Photoshop, so clearly your theory doesn't square with what
    people are actually doing.

    >And almost no plugins and filters.

    The usual flow for high bit edits is to make the key tonal and color
    corrections in 16 bit mode. Every tool an experienced Photoshop user needs is
    supported for this. You can also do the usual touch ups most images require
    with the Rubber Stamp, marquee, lasso, crop, healing brush etc tools, and you
    can even run USM in 16 bit mode.

    Since almost all output devices (web, inkjet printers, CMYK printers) require 8
    bit output anyway most people convert at some point and make any final edits
    with adjustment layers. If you need to run a plugin or filter here's where
    you'd do it. The key benefit of 16 bit mode is to avoid posterizing the
    histograms if you make radical moves with the first few tonal or color
    corrections. Once those are done 16 bit mode just doesn't buy you much, as a
    practical matter.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Sep 13, 2003