Re: Corel announces PaintShop Pro X5 - DPReview

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tony cooper, Sep 9, 2012.

  1. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sun, 09 Sep 2012 11:31:48 +1200, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    >>| There is no point. I am not going to pay their exhorbitant price.
    >>| --
    >>
    >> How refreshing. Given the large number of MS Office and
    >>PhotoShop/CS customers I know, I thought I must be the
    >>only person in the world who sees something odd in a software
    >>program that costs twice the price of the computer, despite
    >>being sold in vast numbers. :)
    >>
    >> I guess it's not really odd, though. It's just the skewing
    >>that happens with software used commercially. They can
    >>charge almost any price they like and most people who use
    >>it for business will still buy it... Or rather, they'll tell their
    >>boss that they can't work without it.
    >>
    >> I suppose I should be grateful that my frying pan, my
    >>power drill, and my pants are not all similarly priced on the
    >>basis of how useful they are to me, rather than on the basis
    >>of what they cost to produce. Otherwise I wouldn't be able
    >>to get dressed in the morning, much less eat breakfast and
    >>go to work. :)
    >>

    >I don't mind them asking me to pay what they think its worth to me.
    >The problem is that they seem to think it's worth twice as much to
    >most of the world as it is to residents of the US. I object to having
    >to pay (sometimes much) more that US$1000 when I know that if I lived
    >in the US I could buy it from Amazon for between US$500 and US$600. I
    >know they are ripping me off and I resent that.

    I'll preface this by emphasizing that I know absolutely nothing about
    how prices are set for Adobe products in other countries.

    I do wonder, though, if this is an Adobe policy or an Amazon policy.
    Neither outfit would want to discourage sales to someone just because
    the person does not live in the US. It doesn't make sense
    business-wise, and both organizations are very savvy business
    operations.

    I would seem to me that this is more of a government thing than a
    business thing...that there are some taxes or other fees imposed by
    the government. You may be getting ripped off, but I think you might
    be blaming the wrong party.

    It does not add a nickel to the cost of the product to allow it to be
    downloaded in New Zealand or New Jersey. A mailed disk would add to
    the cost, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

    Adobe's losing a sale. Amazon's losing a sale. Why would either want
    to do that?

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Sep 9, 2012

  2. David J. Littleboy <> wrote:

    > Adobe and Microsoft and Apple all run local operations in each country as
    > independent companies responsible for local sales and service. And their
    > head offices only service the US market. And Amazon won't ship software,
    > cars, or breakfast cereals to Japan (or other countries).

    http://preview.tinyurl.com/9q544bu
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/9knnnym
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/9etdenj
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/8u9gcom

    That's Germany.

    http://preview.tinyurl.com/8tqlx32
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/8cdxrl8

    That's Japan.

    OK, no software in Japan (except for maybe magazines with
    DVDs) and cars aren't the ones you'd commute to work with
    either ...

    .... but you apparently can get breakfast cereals.

    Yep, you might want to use your local amazon.COUNTRY site.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Sep 9, 2012