Re: Core Duo or Core Quad for image processing

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ray, Sep 9, 2008.

  1. ray

    ray Guest

    On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 20:05:56 +0200, Alfred Molon wrote:

    > I'm about to upgrade the processor of a desktop PC. If there is not too
    > much difference in clock speeds, a Core Quad should always be faster
    > than a Core Duo when processing images, right?

    Unless the software is optimized for multiple processors, a non-trivial
    task, a quad core won't run any faster than a single core.
    ray, Sep 9, 2008

  2. "ray" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 20:05:56 +0200, Alfred Molon wrote:
    >
    >> I'm about to upgrade the processor of a desktop PC. If there is not too
    >> much difference in clock speeds, a Core Quad should always be faster
    >> than a Core Duo when processing images, right?

    > Unless the software is optimized for multiple processors, a non-trivial
    > task, a quad core won't run any faster than a single core.

    The reason most people *will* see a substantial increase in performance when
    they switch to a multi-core processor, even when running apps not optimized
    for one, is because most anti-virus programs suck a lot of juice from your
    machine and they, by and large, do take advantage of multi-core CPUs. I
    noticed a HUGE difference in the speed of my computer, when using apps like
    Photoshop and Corel Draw, when I made the change. The CPU speed of the
    mulit-core CPU was actually a bit slower than the single-core it replaced.

    Always keep in mind that there's a plethora of garbage running in the
    background, making your computer slower. At least on a PC; a Mac is probably
    similar, but I can't speak from experience with that platform.

    --Mike Jacoubowsky
    Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReaction.com
    Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA
    Mike Jacoubowsky, Sep 10, 2008

  3. ray

    ray Guest

    On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 20:41:17 -0700, Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

    > "ray" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 20:05:56 +0200, Alfred Molon wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm about to upgrade the processor of a desktop PC. If there is not
    >>> too much difference in clock speeds, a Core Quad should always be
    >>> faster than a Core Duo when processing images, right?

    >> Unless the software is optimized for multiple processors, a non-trivial
    >> task, a quad core won't run any faster than a single core.

    > The reason most people *will* see a substantial increase in performance
    > when they switch to a multi-core processor, even when running apps not
    > optimized for one, is because most anti-virus programs suck a lot of
    > juice from your machine and they, by and large, do take advantage of
    > multi-core CPUs. I noticed a HUGE difference in the speed of my
    > computer, when using apps like Photoshop and Corel Draw, when I made the
    > change. The CPU speed of the mulit-core CPU was actually a bit slower
    > than the single-core it replaced.

    Most may - I don't. For the simple reason that I run Linux - and with
    Linux all that nonsense is totally redundant.

    > Always keep in mind that there's a plethora of garbage running in the
    > background, making your computer slower. At least on a PC; a Mac is
    > probably similar, but I can't speak from experience with that platform.

    A rational operating system has pretty low overhead.

    ray, Sep 10, 2008