Re: Copying a file

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by richard, Jan 3, 2011.

  1. richard

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 03 Jan 2011 02:23:43 -0500, wrote:

    > Just curious. If I have a file, say an .mp3 file in a folder called Music, then
    > I copy it to another folder that I use for uploading to a web site, are there
    > now two complete .mp3 files on my hard drive, or is it just the original with a
    > smaller file pointing to it? Thanks.

    You will have a copy of the entire file.
    Copy a file onto a flash drive. Now take that flash drive and install in
    another machine. Can you play the mp3 now or do you get an error message
    saying it can't locate the file?

    richard, Jan 3, 2011

  2. richard

    Mike Yetto Guest

    richard <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >On Mon, 03 Jan 2011 02:23:43 -0500, wrote:

    >> Just curious. If I have a file, say an .mp3 file in a folder called Music, then
    >> I copy it to another folder that I use for uploading to a web site, are there
    >> now two complete .mp3 files on my hard drive, or is it just the original with a
    >> smaller file pointing to it? Thanks.

    >You will have a copy of the entire file.
    >Copy a file onto a flash drive. Now take that flash drive and install in
    >another machine. Can you play the mp3 now or do you get an error message
    >saying it can't locate the file?

    You can't answer a question by rewording it to a more complicated
    question.

    To the OP, when you copy a file you will have the original and a
    copy, the semantics are the same as if it were a note on your
    desk. When you move a file it will be in a different place.

    Mike "find a beginner's course and take the prerequisite" Yetto
    In practice they are not.

    Mike Yetto, Jan 3, 2011

  3. On Mon, 03 Jan 2011 08:52:04 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Mon, 3 Jan 2011 01:12:11 -0700, richard <> wrote:
    >
    >>Copy a file onto a flash drive. Now take that flash drive and install in
    >>another machine. Can you play the mp3 now or do you get an error message
    >>saying it can't locate the file?

    > If you don't know, bullis, just say so. It's OK. We all know you
    > aren't computer savvy.

    Both of you do not understand straight forward english and communication.
    The question was, is a copy of a file the entire file or a short reference
    to the original?
    My answer was to prompt the poster in trying a test to see what happens to
    confirm his own answer. If you fail to understand my reply, you really are
    ignorant.
    Why not try it out for yourself? Oh, but wait. You already have thousands
    of times. So the answer to the poster's question is in fact, you get an
    exact copy of the original file, not a reference.

    oldies hunter, Jan 3, 2011