Re: Copy System Disk to USB

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by JD, Jun 5, 2010.

  1. JD

    JD Guest

    On 05/06/2010 6:53 PM, James D. Andrews wrote:
    > I ordered my wife an MSI Netbook for portability. Operating system is
    > pre-installed, but it also comes with a CD, presumably an installation disk.
    > Of course, it's a Netbook, not a laptop, so it doesn't have a CD Drive.
    >
    > It hasn't arrived yet from Newegg though it will be here soon.
    >
    > How do I copy the system/OS to a USB? Do I just copy/paste the disk to USB,
    > or do I need to use special software such as cloning software?
    >

    > --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

    to get an installable OS on the usb stick is not quite as simple as it
    sounds, if it is XP you have to use something like "PeToUSB" then make
    the USB drive bootable (grub4dos is good) if it is win 7, format the USB
    drive as NTFS, copy the contents of the win7 DISK to the USB key then
    use BOOTSECT.exe from the win7 disk (cd / boot/ bootsect.exe)
    and from a comand prompt bootsect.exe /nt60 x: (x: being the usb key)

    JD

    JD, Jun 5, 2010