Re: Coolpix upload app doesn't offer Explorer option

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Robert Coe, Apr 30, 2013.

  1. Robert Coe

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 09:50:15 -0700, Jennifer Murphy <>
    wrote:
    : When I plug the USB cable from my Coolpix S8200 into my Win XP PC, I get
    : a pop-up window offering me a bunch of options for the program to
    : launch: WinZip, ControlCenter, DropBox, Epson Event Manager (printer),
    : Publisher, Word, Microsoft Scanner & Camera Wizard, PaperPort, & PS
    : Elements (no longer installed).
    :
    : The one that seems the most logical to me, Windows Explorer, is not
    : listed.
    :
    : Is there a way to add it to that list?

    Careful. Not all cameras have the ability to look like a Windows drive or
    folder (which is what Windows Explorer expects). Most (all?) card readers do,
    but there are, or used to be, cameras that don't.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Apr 30, 2013

  2. Robert Coe

    PeterN Guest

    On 4/30/2013 12:38 AM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
    > On Mon, 29 Apr 2013 19:19:24 -0400, Robert Coe <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 09:50:15 -0700, Jennifer Murphy <>
    >> wrote:
    >> : When I plug the USB cable from my Coolpix S8200 into my Win XP PC, I get
    >> : a pop-up window offering me a bunch of options for the program to
    >> : launch: WinZip, ControlCenter, DropBox, Epson Event Manager (printer),
    >> : Publisher, Word, Microsoft Scanner & Camera Wizard, PaperPort, & PS
    >> : Elements (no longer installed).
    >> :
    >> : The one that seems the most logical to me, Windows Explorer, is not
    >> : listed.
    >> :
    >> : Is there a way to add it to that list?
    >>
    >> Careful. Not all cameras have the ability to look like a Windows drive or
    >> folder (which is what Windows Explorer expects). Most (all?) card readers do,
    >> but there are, or used to be, cameras that don't.
    >>
    >> Bob

    > When I plug in the camera's USB cable, it shows up under My Computer in
    > the Cameras and Scanners section as S8200. If I click on it, it opens up
    > a Windows Explorer that operates more or less like any USB drive.
    >
    > Out of curiosity, I tried clicking on the Microsoft Scanner and Camera
    > Wizard. On the very first screen, it offers me the option to "work
    > directly from the device" by clicking on the "advanced users only" link.
    > When I do, I get an Explorer window. I guess MSFT is finally admitting
    > that the Explorer UI is such that it can only be used by advanced users.
    > ;-)
    >
    > If I click next (for non-advanced users), I get a screen showing the
    > photos with buttons for rotating and viewing properties. The rotate
    > buttons are handy.
    >
    > On the next screen, I am given the option of selecting a place to copy
    > the photos and optionally deleting them from the camera when done.
    >
    > When that is done, I am left in an Explorer window for the target
    > folder.
    >
    > Even better, the Wizard remembers that folder for the next upload.
    >
    > So, I shouldn't have been such a chicken. It actually works pretty well.

    I was going to suggest that. Glad you solved the issue.
    Don't be a chicken, but before you install any software set a restore
    point, so you can go back to where you were before you made the change.
    Some installers do this automatically, but it only takes a few seconds
    to manually set a restore point.

    <http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457025.aspx>

    HTH

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Apr 30, 2013

  3. Robert Coe

    PeterN Guest

    On 4/30/2013 2:43 PM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
    > On Tue, 30 Apr 2013 07:20:59 -0400, PeterN <>
    > wrote:

    >>> When I plug in the camera's USB cable, it shows up under My Computer in
    >>> the Cameras and Scanners section as S8200. If I click on it, it opens up
    >>> a Windows Explorer that operates more or less like any USB drive.
    >>>
    >>> Out of curiosity, I tried clicking on the Microsoft Scanner and Camera
    >>> Wizard. On the very first screen, it offers me the option to "work
    >>> directly from the device" by clicking on the "advanced users only" link.
    >>> When I do, I get an Explorer window. I guess MSFT is finally admitting
    >>> that the Explorer UI is such that it can only be used by advanced users.
    >>> ;-)
    >>>
    >>> If I click next (for non-advanced users), I get a screen showing the
    >>> photos with buttons for rotating and viewing properties. The rotate
    >>> buttons are handy.
    >>>
    >>> On the next screen, I am given the option of selecting a place to copy
    >>> the photos and optionally deleting them from the camera when done.
    >>>
    >>> When that is done, I am left in an Explorer window for the target
    >>> folder.
    >>>
    >>> Even better, the Wizard remembers that folder for the next upload.
    >>>
    >>> So, I shouldn't have been such a chicken. It actually works pretty well.
    >>>

    >> I was going to suggest that. Glad you solved the issue.
    >> Don't be a chicken, but before you install any software set a restore
    >> point, so you can go back to where you were before you made the change.
    >> Some installers do this automatically, but it only takes a few seconds
    >> to manually set a restore point.
    >>
    >> <http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457025.aspx>

    > In this case, I was worrying needlessly (or belatedly). The Wizard
    > software was already installed -- possibly with the OS itself.

    Better that you worried needlessly, than didn't worry, when you should
    have.

    --
    PeterN
    I like to bw wrong, when I think I made a mistake.

    PeterN, Apr 30, 2013