Re: Coolpix upload app doesn't offer Explorer option

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tony Cooper, Apr 28, 2013.

  1. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 09:50:15 -0700, Jennifer Murphy
    <> wrote:

    >When I plug the USB cable from my Coolpix S8200 into my Win XP PC, I get
    >a pop-up window offering me a bunch of options for the program to
    >launch: WinZip, ControlCenter, DropBox, Epson Event Manager (printer),
    >Publisher, Word, Microsoft Scanner & Camera Wizard, PaperPort, & PS
    >Elements (no longer installed).
    >
    >The one that seems the most logical to me, Windows Explorer, is not
    >listed.
    >
    >Is there a way to add it to that list?

    I no longer have XP on my computer, and I use a card reader, but I
    suggest that when the dropdown pops up that you look for something
    that says "Add programs". You should be able to navigate to any
    program and add it to the list. You may have to right-click. It
    seems that Microsoft Scanner & Camera Wizard is the logical choice,
    though, considering the options.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Apr 28, 2013

  2. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 13:13:18 -0700, Jennifer Murphy
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 15:42:17 -0400, Tony Cooper
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 09:50:15 -0700, Jennifer Murphy
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>When I plug the USB cable from my Coolpix S8200 into my Win XP PC, I get
    >>>a pop-up window offering me a bunch of options for the program to
    >>>launch: WinZip, ControlCenter, DropBox, Epson Event Manager (printer),
    >>>Publisher, Word, Microsoft Scanner & Camera Wizard, PaperPort, & PS
    >>>Elements (no longer installed).
    >>>
    >>>The one that seems the most logical to me, Windows Explorer, is not
    >>>listed.
    >>>
    >>>Is there a way to add it to that list?

    >>I no longer have XP on my computer, and I use a card reader, but I
    >>suggest that when the dropdown pops up that you look for something
    >>that says "Add programs". You should be able to navigate to any
    >>program and add it to the list. You may have to right-click. It
    >>seems that Microsoft Scanner & Camera Wizard is the logical choice,
    >>though, considering the options.

    >No such button. There's a scrollable list of programs, a checkbox for
    >"Always use this program", and OK & Cancel buttons.
    >
    >Here's a screen shot (kinda tiny):
    >
    >http://tinypic.com/r/314a645/5
    >
    >The reason I think it's an omission in the CoolPix app, is that Windows
    >Explorer has been an option in all of my previous cameras, including an
    >earlier CoolPix.
    >
    >Maybe I'll try the Wizard, but I am reluctant to allow Microsoft install
    >any more software on my machine. ;-)

    That's a list of programs that are already on your computer or
    programs that were added as compatible to this task (Elements). Using
    "Wizard" is using something that came with the computer factory
    installed.

    Still, here are the directions to add new programs:

    http://www.wikihow.com/Change-the-Default-Photo-Display-Program-in-Windows-XP

    You might want to add Irfanview if you haven't already, and set that
    as one of the options.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Apr 28, 2013

  3. Tony Cooper

    Mayayana Guest

    You might get a solution by right-clicking the
    drive icon and checking the Autoplay tab. Another
    approach is to just disable autoplay. TweakUI for
    XP provides that option on a per-drive basis.

    Mayayana, Apr 28, 2013