Re: Cooking Lake Airport

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ray Fischer, Jul 31, 2011.

  1. Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer Guest

    >To me it looks like a not well metered, single exposure. For HDR I
    >would expect to see something such as a -1, 0, +1 bracket set, or
    >better yet a 5 shot set, -2, -1, 0, +1, +2.

    Why not -2, 0 +2? Sure, more exposures are better, but if you're
    limited by other constraints to three shots, wouldn't it be better to
    spread them out by 2 stops rather than 1? If you have a decent camera
    with 8-9 stops of usable range then I don't see the reason for keeping
    them too close.

    Just asking. I haven't done much HDR yet.

    Ray Fischer, Jul 31, 2011

  2. Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer Guest

    > (Ray Fischer) said:
    >>
    >>> To me it looks like a not well metered, single exposure. For HDR I
    >>> would expect to see something such as a -1, 0, +1 bracket set, or
    >>> better yet a 5 shot set, -2, -1, 0, +1, +2.

    >> Why not -2, 0 +2? Sure, more exposures are better, but if you're
    >> limited by other constraints to three shots, wouldn't it be better to
    >> spread them out by 2 stops rather than 1? If you have a decent camera
    >> with 8-9 stops of usable range then I don't see the reason for keeping
    >> them too close.
    >>
    >> Just asking. I haven't done much HDR yet.

    >There is nothing stopping you from using whatever your camera provides
    >you. With my Nikon I can use 1.0, 0.7, & 0.3 as exposure adjustment. So
    >to get a -2 to +2 range I have to use a 5 shot bracket with a 1.0
    >interval. I can shoot as much as a 9 shot bracket which give me an
    >overkill DR if shot at 1.0, of -4 to +4.

    As I don't often have a tripod (or the inclination to set it up) I use
    the camera's bracketing feature which does three shots in quick
    succession. The results seem decent enough.

    >The total range and the interval does play a part in how the final
    >result appears after HDR processing. So a 9 shot bracket with a 0.3 or
    >0.7 correction would have a more subtle effect with a lower gross DR.
    >
    >I have found that 3 shot brackets end up appearing quite unpleasant and
    >unnatural.

    How many stops difference?

    Ray Fischer, Aug 1, 2011

  3. Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer Guest

    >On 2011-07-31 16:00:07 -0700, "Dudley Hanks" <> said:

    >>> Why not -2, 0 +2? Sure, more exposures are better, but if you're
    >>> limited by other constraints to three shots, wouldn't it be better to
    >>> spread them out by 2 stops rather than 1? If you have a decent camera
    >>> with 8-9 stops of usable range then I don't see the reason for keeping
    >>> them too close.
    >>>
    >>> Just asking. I haven't done much HDR yet.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Ray Fischer | Mendocracy (n.) government by lying
    >>>

    >> That's on my list of things to do ...
    >>
    >> I'm curious as to whether there is an optimum amount of exposure difference
    >> / shot ...

    >Here is another comparison shot, 0 adjustment vs 5 shot HDR bracket -2 to +2.
    >< http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/7787HDR-compA.jpg >

    Morro Bay harbor?

    Ray Fischer, Aug 1, 2011
  4. Ray Fischer

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 20:10:41 -0700, Savageduck
    :
    : >> (Ray Fischer) said:
    : >>> Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    : >>>
    : >>>> To me it looks like a not well metered, single exposure. For HDR I
    : >>>> would expect to see something such as a -1, 0, +1 bracket set, or
    : >>>> better yet a 5 shot set, -2, -1, 0, +1, +2.
    : >>>
    : >>> Why not -2, 0 +2? Sure, more exposures are better, but if you're
    : >>> limited by other constraints to three shots, wouldn't it be better to
    : >>> spread them out by 2 stops rather than 1? If you have a decent camera
    : >>> with 8-9 stops of usable range then I don't see the reason for keeping
    : >>> them too close.
    : >>>
    : >>> Just asking. I haven't done much HDR yet.
    : >>
    : >> There is nothing stopping you from using whatever your camera provides
    : >> you. With my Nikon I can use 1.0, 0.7, & 0.3 as exposure adjustment. So
    : >> to get a -2 to +2 range I have to use a 5 shot bracket with a 1.0
    : >> interval. I can shoot as much as a 9 shot bracket which give me an
    : >> overkill DR if shot at 1.0, of -4 to +4.
    : >
    : > As I don't often have a tripod (or the inclination to set it up) I use
    : > the camera's bracketing feature which does three shots in quick
    : > succession. The results seem decent enough.
    :
    : For the most part I have developed a pretty stable hand held technique
    : for my 5 shot brackets. With the D300s 8fps rate, I get the 5 shots in
    : just over half a second.
    : Like you it is a case of planning, inclination, and immediate
    : availability when it comes to tripod use.
    :
    : >
    : >> The total range and the interval does play a part in how the final
    : >> result appears after HDR processing. So a 9 shot bracket with a 0.3 or
    : >> 0.7 correction would have a more subtle effect with a lower gross DR.
    : >>
    : >> I have found that 3 shot brackets end up appearing quite unpleasant and
    : >> unnatural.
    : >
    : > How many stops difference?
    :
    : I took some 3 shot, -1, 0,+1 brackets last year up at Yosemite, and
    : they just didn't work all that well. I ended up with bizarre artifacts
    : and some very weird effects, particularly in the sky, which were beyond
    : correction. I had no such issues when going to 5 shot brackets.

    I wonder if you could have rescued the pictures by interpolating hypothetical
    -½ and +½ shots and then treating it as a 5-shot bracket. Maybe the resultant
    smoothing would damp down the artifacts. (My gut tells me that it might have
    to be log-2, rather than linear, interpolation.)

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Aug 5, 2011