Re: Contact Us? Maybe not!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike Easter, Dec 15, 2009.

  1. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    DemoDisk wrote:

    > BTW, my question to Duracell was whether their USB drives (mfd by
    > Dane-Elec) were compatible w 98SE or if they could be made to work.

    IMO inmyopinion, this answer in the duracell kb is wrong:

    http://snipr.com/tp2f7 Knowledge Base - Duracell Flash > USB Flash
    Drives > Can I use my new USB Flash drive or USB Flash card reader on
    Windows 95, 98, 98SE?

    Unforutanely, no.

    Our USB Flash drives and USB Flash memory card readers are designed to
    be compatible with the industry standard USB Mass Storage Device Class
    (MSC). Windows 95, 98, and 98SE do not provide native support for this
    standard and so require special device drivers. Since Microsoft
    discontinued support for those operating systems in July of 2006, device
    driver development is no longer practical.

    That is, they are right about lack of native support. They aren't right
    about 'can I use...'

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Dec 15, 2009

  2. Mike Easter

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 23:38:12 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:

    > DemoDisk wrote:
    >
    >> BTW, my question to Duracell was whether their USB drives (mfd by
    >> Dane-Elec) were compatible w 98SE or if they could be made to work.

    > IMO inmyopinion, this answer in the duracell kb is wrong:
    >
    > http://snipr.com/tp2f7 Knowledge Base - Duracell Flash > USB Flash
    > Drives > Can I use my new USB Flash drive or USB Flash card reader on
    > Windows 95, 98, 98SE?
    >
    > Unforutanely, no.
    >
    > Our USB Flash drives and USB Flash memory card readers are designed to
    > be compatible with the industry standard USB Mass Storage Device Class
    > (MSC). Windows 95, 98, and 98SE do not provide native support for this
    > standard and so require special device drivers. Since Microsoft
    > discontinued support for those operating systems in July of 2006, device
    > driver development is no longer practical.
    >

    > That is, they are right about lack of native support. They aren't right
    > about 'can I use...'

    As I recall, USB support was not native until ME.
    Depending on the USB device, drivers may have been needed for use in SE.

    richard, Dec 15, 2009

  3. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > DemoDisk wrote:
    >
    >> BTW, my question to Duracell was whether their USB drives (mfd by
    >> Dane-Elec) were compatible w 98SE or if they could be made to work.

    > IMO inmyopinion, this answer in the duracell kb is wrong:

    > That is, they are right about lack of native support. They aren't

    right
    > about 'can I use...'

    Here's a webforum discussion with some unhelpful info about the duracell
    usb, along with a helpful link http://snipr.com/tp2p2 USB drive for
    Win 98 SE

    Here are the generic and the HP USB tools:

    http://snipr.com/tp2nn HP v120w USB Flash Driver (98SE ONLY)
    http://snipr.com/tp2og Windows 98SE USB Mass Storage Device Drivers

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Dec 15, 2009
  4. richard wrote:

    > As I recall, USB support was not native until ME.
    > Depending on the USB device, drivers may have been needed for use in
    > SE.

    You recall incorrectly, RtS.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/253756

    "USB support for Windows 95 is available in Original Equipment
    Manufacturer (OEM) versions of Windows 95. .."

    and later in the article:
    "NOTE: All versions of Microsoft Windows 98 include USB support."

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 15, 2009