Re: Constant system crashes

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by DP, Dec 27, 2006.

  1. DP

    DP Guest

    You've gotten a number of good responses here. The only thing I would add to
    those would be a request for more system specs.
    You say you have AMD 4800 X2 64 bit processor. What else? How much ram; how
    is your video being done; hard drive size, etc.?
    Though your processor should not be an issue here, other factors may be part
    of the problem if they're not muscular enough to support the 64-bit
    dual-core processor and the 64-bit OS.

    DP, Dec 27, 2006

  2. DP

    Dshai Guest

    I guess my first question is going to be whether or not the upgrade from MS
    included any device drivers, this can and has caused past problems for
    myself and several others that I know.

    Dshai

    Dshai, Dec 27, 2006

  3. As we've all said from the beginning. Please provide the crash codes. We
    can't help you if you won't tell us what the problem is. "crash" could be
    anything. It almost certainly is a hardware problem, but WHAT hardware only
    the stop error codes will tell us.

    Complaining about MS when it's a hardware or driver problem is not going to
    help anyone, especially you. Providing the details of the problem might
    allow us to point you at a solution. (And just to be completely clear - MS
    is NOT responsible for hardware drivers. The OEMs are.)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 27, 2006
  4. DP

    John Barnes Guest

    Gets very frustrating sometimes :))

    John Barnes, Dec 27, 2006
  5. DP

    Dshai Guest

    The reason it matters is simple, MS often provides driver updates, they are
    generally chipset based, some video cards and even NIC's don't like this,
    they only function with manufacture's drivers, you want help, sarcasm and
    whining won't help, answering questions and providing the information needed
    to help you will.

    Dshai

    Dshai, Dec 27, 2006
  6. MS's driver updates are supplied by the manufacturers.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 27, 2006
  7. DP

    Dshai Guest

    Often not the actual card's manufacturer, Nvidia drivers are listed as an
    update for cards the have the Nvidia chipset but won't run on their drivers
    alone due to manufacturer's proprietary drivers or firmware, using the
    "generic" drivers from the update can cause crashes or even the inability to
    complete the boot, reverting to the post screen when the drivers are loaded,
    This particular piece of information comes from personal, and professional
    experience.

    Dshai

    Dshai, Dec 28, 2006
  8. OK fair enough, but I have no idea how to give you these "Crash codes" ? I
    get the blue screen of death with about a page of numbers and letters. I
    can't print screen them or copy them or frankly do anything but push the
    ON/OFF switch and restart the computer. If there is a place in the system
    where these codes are stored and I can cut and paste them, then please advise
    me on how to do this? Like I said, I am not a systems guy and all of this
    beating my head against the wall is new to me. From what I gather others
    are using the same hardware configurations as I am with none of these issues,
    and the OEMs are turning out updates to drivers on a weekly basis, so I'm not
    sure that it's a driver issue at this point? Maybe I'm missing something
    here? Is there a turbo button I forgot to push (smile)?

    =?Utf-8?B?R29pbmdDcmF6eSE=?=, Dec 28, 2006
  9. Yes, very frustrating... anyway, the error code of the day is : "win 32k.sys
    Page_Fault_In_NonPaged_Area" Any ideas? Just crashed twice within 5 minutes
    of rebooting and trying to surf the web with IE 7.

    =?Utf-8?B?R29pbmdDcmF6eSE=?=, Dec 28, 2006
  10. OK Dshai... how do we keep up-to-date with patches and security fixes and
    avoid downloading "MS driver updates" I'm a simple man and I guess it's too
    much to expect from MS to actually build a OS that works... forgive me if I
    seem a little testy, but I have 4 computers in my home that are so slow now
    that I can push a button and go get a cup of coffee before they do what I
    want them to do.. I have to reload complete OS every 6 months to get things
    speeding up to a point of productivity. I scan my computers daily for virus
    infections, clean-up hard drives weekly and also run registary scans to fix
    issues weekly, but all this seems to do nothing to keep my computers from
    slowing to a crawl. This x64 crash and burn issue is just another log on the
    MS fire! I've been waiting for 5 long years now for VISTA and from what I
    have been reading these past few days... It's broken before it even hits the
    streets.

    Thanks for trying to help at least... that is much more than MS does for
    it's customers!

    =?Utf-8?B?R29pbmdDcmF6eSE=?=, Dec 28, 2006
  11. Tony Sperling, Dec 28, 2006
  12. What we need is the base STOP error code. It's a hex number, and for our
    purposes here (as opposed to the developer trying to debug his or her code),
    we only need that one number. So, for example, you might get something that
    looks like:

    STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x804E518E, 0xFC938104, 0xFC937E04)
    SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

    All we care about is the 0x0000007E part. You take that code, plug it in to
    Google, and you're well on your way to knowing the cause. Not always,
    obviously, because more than one thing can cause a given result.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 28, 2006
  13. Now that is useful information! If I had known about googling error codes
    then I might have fixed these issues a long while back? I'll do this and get
    back... THANKS!

    =?Utf-8?B?R29pbmdDcmF6eSE=?=, Dec 28, 2006
  14. GIYF. :)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64