Re: constant crashes....

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by new identity, Jan 2, 2006.

  1. new identity

    new identity Guest

    "Martik" <> wrote in message

    > "new identity" <> wrote in message
    >> Please please help with this one....
    >> OK, so on Christmas day I start playing cards on my computer waiting for
    >> dinner to cook, then suddenly everything just completely stops. No
    >> cursor control, no screen movement, no CTL-ALT-DEL function, anything.
    >> So I shrug my shoulders and hard reboot. I then get no error message or
    >> anything to indicate I have been mean to my pc. Everything is OK for a
    >> couple of hours until the same thing happens while it is in screensaver
    >> mode. More concerned now, I perform a full AV scan and AdAware, and
    >> check to see if MS have any windows updates for me. All scans are
    >> negative. Then I reset my firewall in case its that, and when it turns
    >> out not to be that, I terminate that program completely. Then it crashes
    >> again, and I get a Blue Screen of Death warning me that a driver has been
    >> stuck in a loop and refering me to file NV4_disp. It also (after several
    >> more

    <<<<<<<CUT>>>>>>>>>>

    Thanks for all your suggestions, when I replaced my motherboard I discovered
    that the power interface had melted!
    Methinks I will invest in a better surge protector!

    new identity, Jan 2, 2006

  2. new identity

    w_tom Guest

    Surge protectors will do nothing for your failure. Either power
    supply plug or motherboard receptacle was defective. In some cases,
    such failures have caused fires. Prproblem would be a defective
    connection which would have been apparent by low voltage on motherboard
    and intermittent computer crashes - much like a clogged artery to a
    heart.

    Furthermore, a surge protectors without a dedicated and short
    connection to the building's single point earth ground does nothing
    effective. Also explains why these grossly overpriced proetctors are
    typically undersized. Your computer already has internal protection.
    Protection that can be overwhelmed if the building does not have a
    properly earthed 'whole house' protector.

    But again, you have a bad connector problem which has nothing -
    absolutely nothing - to do with surges.

    w_tom, Jan 3, 2006