Re: Connection problem

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Jerry, Aug 25, 2003.

  1. Jerry

    Jerry Guest

    Did she have the fax before the problem stated?
    "Kathy" <> wrote in message news:...
    I didn't know what group to ask this question, so I will ask in both.

    One of my in-laws is having connection problems. It supposedly started last week. She was saying that her son is constantly being disconnected from the Internet. Now she has several phones hooked up through one phone line, plus a Fax machine hooked up to the same line that the modem is hooked into. I told her that she shouldn't have the Fax machine hooked into the same line as the modem because that will cause the disconnections and also all of those phones hooked into the same line won't help either. Also noisy lines can do this too...am I NOT right about all of this?

    Well, here is my biggest pet peeve....she asked me what could be the problem....I told her just what I said in the above paragraph! This is what she said back to me.

    Her : "Well, I don't know about that"

    Me : "So far from what I've learned, I believe that could be the problem because I had the same problem until I disconnected my Fax machine from the same phone line as the modem"

    Her : "I don't believe that is the problem"

    Well, what gets me very peeved is when someone asks me a question and I give them the RIGHT answer when I am positive that could be the answer and they stand there and tell you that it isn't correct! Why bother asking me when YOU have all the answers when you haven't gotten a clue about computers! Sorry, I vented, but just wanted to let you know what I am dealing with right now.

    Does anyone else have any other suggestion as to the disconnections?

    Thanks,
    Kathy
    A+

    Jerry, Aug 25, 2003

  2. Jerry

    David Hough Guest

    Any phone co. construction going on in her neighborhood? Don't forget
    you have two local loops here that could also be impaired. The first
    one is from her house to the CO. The second one is from the CO to the
    ISP. So to address the second one, see if the ISP has a second phone
    number. That should put you on another pair. To address whether it is
    internal to her home, go directly to the network interface the phone
    company had on her line. When you rotate the cover, it cuts off
    everything inside and then you can plug in your computer to it and see
    if you get disconnected. Any imput you get on this NG is just guesswork
    on this type of problem. But you can definately diagnose this from the
    site. Whether it is in your interest, is for you to decide.

    David Hough, Aug 25, 2003