Re: Connecting to Windows servers through adsl

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by geek@heurikon.com, Mar 8, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Peter - we have, it seems, a similar problem... I'm wondering if you
    can shed some light. I've been pulling my hair out to find any solution
    to our conundrum.

    We have remote users with Windows XP (SP1 currently, as SP2 caused some
    problems for us) laptops. They are set up here in our corporate network
    to the ARTESYN Windows NT domain.

    When in the main office, they use them just as any other domain
    workstation, logging in as themselves to the ARTESYN domain.

    When out of the main office, they first log in to the laptop as
    ARTESYN\username (even though the laptop cannot talk at that point to
    any domain controllers), which allows this because XP caches the domain
    credentials. They then use a Cisco VPN to connect to our main office
    and map network drives, use Remote Desktop to our Windows 2003 terminal
    server, connect to Exchange, etc.

    However, the problem comes when they have to update their password
    (every 90 days). We have them update their ARTESYN domain passwords by
    connecting via Remote Desktop to our terminal server. This works fine.

    However, the problem comes in that they still have to use their OLD
    domain password to log into their local laptop (as the laptop is not
    connected to the domain until AFTER the login).

    Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any information on how to get
    Windows XP to update the cached credentials so it will accept their
    updated domain password when logging into their laptop. It only accepts
    their old domain password.

    When doing this, I can map a drive to a Windows share, using the new
    domain password, but the local XP laptop does not seem to update the
    local cache when this happens.

    This causes all sorts of problems, not the least of which is the user
    has to remember two passwords until the time comes when that laptop is
    actually on the local network, and part of the domain BEFORE the user
    logs in.

    The only solution I can think of is to have these users log in to a
    local account rather than their ARTESYN domain account. Of course, we'd
    prefer not to have to do this, so they have a seamless experience
    whether they are on our main network or connected remotely via VPN.

    So, is there any way to tell XP to update its cached DOMAIN\username
    password against the updated DOMAIN\username?

    , Mar 8, 2005

  2. none Guest

    Setup a PPTP Windows server and make them login to it rather than using
    the Cisco VPN client.

    none

    none, Mar 9, 2005