Re: connecting second computer to printer using wireless connection?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by smlunatick, Jan 16, 2009.

  1. smlunatick

    smlunatick Guest

    On Jan 15, 3:34 pm, Mike950 <> wrote:
    >      I know next to nothing about wireless connections and need some
    > information on how it works.  I have a desktop PC that is connected to a
    > Canon Pixma MP620 printer via the USB printer cable.  I have a second desktop
    > PC in the same room that I occasionally use for gaming, music, testing, etc.
    > I would like to be able to wirelessly print from the second PC to the Canon
    > printer (without having to turn on the first computer).  The Canon printer
    > says it is WiFi certified with the comment "print wirelessly from a WiFi
    > enabled computer".
    >      My questions are:  What do I need to make my second computer WiFi
    > enabled and when it is WiFi enabled, do I need anything else to be able print
    > to the Canon printer (does it communicate straight from computer to printer
    > or does it have to go through a wireless router)?  Do they make a WiFi
    > transmitter/reciever in the form of a USB "dongle" or something like that
    > which I put on the computer?
    >      Any information on this subject will be greatly appreciated.  Thank
    > you.  Mike

    If you do not use a wireless router, you can only set up a wi-fi link
    in an "ad hoc" (direct betweek two devices) usually between only two
    device at one time.
    smlunatick, Jan 16, 2009