Re: connecting second computer to printer using wireless connection?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Jan 15, 2009.

  1. Mike950 <> wrote:
    > I know next to nothing about wireless connections and need some
    > information on how it works. I have a desktop PC that is connected
    > to a Canon Pixma MP620 printer via the USB printer cable.

    > I have a
    > second desktop PC in the same room that I occasionally use for
    > gaming, music, testing, etc..

    Is it also connected to your existing network?

    > I would like to be able to wirelessly
    > print from the second PC to the Canon printer (without having to turn
    > on the first computer).

    You will need a wireless router or wireless access point to make this work.
    I presume you have an internet connection at home/in this office. How do you
    access it? What kind of networking hardware do you have now? Be detailed....

    The Canon printer says it is WiFi certified
    > with the comment "print wirelessly from a WiFi enabled computer".

    Does it work wirelessly if you also have it connected to something via USB?
    You may need to

    > My questions are: What do I need to make my second computer WiFi
    > enabled

    A wireless network adapter
    A wireless access point on your network

    > and when it is WiFi enabled, do I need anything else to be
    > able print to the Canon printer (does it communicate straight from
    > computer to printer or does it have to go through a wireless router)?

    It would need to go through a wireless access point, which might be part of
    a router but wouldn't necessarily have to be.

    > Do they make a WiFi transmitter/reciever in the form of a USB
    > "dongle" or something like that which I put on the computer?

    Yes, but the computer doesn't have to be connected wirelessly - it could be
    using a wired Ethernet connection to get to the wirelessly-connected
    printer.

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Jan 15, 2009