Re: Connecting a USB printer as a LAN device.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Peter Huebner, Apr 21, 2012.

  1. In article <>,
    d says...

    > I have a printer (Brother Inkjet multifunction) that connects only
    > through USB which means that it has to be plugged into one of the 3
    > computers on my home network and shared. The computer needs to be
    > powered up and from time to time the printer is not visible to the
    > network. I have spare LAN ports on a router. Is there such a device
    > that will allow my printer to be plugged into the router?
    >
    > Google and TradeMe show plenty of USB to RJ45 adapters (allowing a LAN
    > cable to be connected to a USB port) but I am looking for the reverse.
    > Such a device would need to get and hold an Ip address etc.
    >
    > The other alternative is to replace the printer with one that can
    > connect to a LAN.
    >
    > TIA

    There are a number of adsl modem / routers that also include a usb
    printer port for the network. My retired US Robotics router has
    something like that, although I never used it myself (have printer with
    lan port). But I've seen that feature listed for various other brands of
    router as well.

    h.t.h., -P.
    Peter Huebner, Apr 21, 2012