Re: Connecting a USB printer as a LAN device.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Richard, Apr 21, 2012.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    On 4/21/2012 2:50 PM, Crash McBash wrote:
    > I have a printer (Brother Inkjet multifunction) that connects only
    > through USB which means that it has to be plugged into one of the 3
    > computers on my home network and shared. The computer needs to be
    > powered up and from time to time the printer is not visible to the
    > network. I have spare LAN ports on a router. Is there such a device
    > that will allow my printer to be plugged into the router?
    >
    > Google and TradeMe show plenty of USB to RJ45 adapters (allowing a LAN
    > cable to be connected to a USB port) but I am looking for the reverse.
    > Such a device would need to get and hold an Ip address etc.
    >
    > The other alternative is to replace the printer with one that can
    > connect to a LAN.
    >
    > TIA

    Most print servers will just allow for printing, no scanning, no faxing
    (if you are still into that) and no ink level reporting etc.

    There are USB over lan boxes that will make the printer appear local to
    whatever PC is connected at that time, but they only allow for one
    computer to use at a time. I tried one of them ages back but had massive
    problems going over wifi to it just having print jobs abort all the time.
    Richard, Apr 21, 2012