Re-connect results in printer share "access denied"

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by cuba, Apr 15, 2006.

  1. cuba

    cuba Guest

    I think this is a wireless related issue...

    I have XPHome laptops connecting to an XPPro printer share over a
    wireless network, and all works. (XPPro is wired to router; XPHomes are
    wireless.)

    However, when a laptop goes away and then comes back and re-connects to
    the network, the re-connected printer results in "Access Denied".

    A kludge fix is to delete the printer (on the laptop) and then
    re-install. (I am using a User/Password and check the "save password"
    option.)

    Anyone seen this kind of error?

    --
    please respond in group

    cuba, Apr 15, 2006

  2. If the XP PRO machine is using classic file sharing, just create additional
    user accounts which match the user names and passwords used to log onto the
    laptops.

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Apr 15, 2006

  3. cuba

    cuba Guest

    Doug Sherman [MVP] wrote:
    > If the XP PRO machine is using classic file sharing, just create additional
    > user accounts which match the user names and passwords used to log onto the
    > laptops.

    I'll try that, thanks.

    (I was hoping that XP would remember User/Password from the first time
    it connected, and use that when it reconnects. It's that the logical,
    expected thing to do?)

    Here is an interesting test:

    1. On a wired network, I connected to a shared XP Pro printer from an
    XP Home PC (another pair) and I supplied the XP Pro User/Password.
    Works of course.

    2. Command 'net use' on XP Home showed connection '\\xppro\IPC$'

    3. Command 'net use \\xppro\IPC$ /delete' on XP Home results in the
    printer share still showing up but as 'Access Denied.'

    4. Command 'net use \\xppro\IPC$ /user:user "passwd"' results in
    Printer working again.

    Perhaps Step 3 is what is happening when the Wireless disconnects, but
    Step 4 is NOT happening when it reconnects.

    cuba, Apr 15, 2006